Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Electric Planes at our field.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Electric Planes at our field.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 03:56 AM
karlik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Planes at our field.

Somehow I have a feeling we'll be seeing a first time post from owen915 in the very near future.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:08 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Villa

After a few close calls with electric planes at our field we just added two new Rules at our Flying Field. Others may want to consider these.
•Electric aircraft must be taken to the flight line before connecting the batteries and the batteries disconnected before returning to the pit area.
•If work is going to be conducted on electric aircraft and the batteries must be connected, the prop must be removed before connecting the batteries.
When I'm at home setting up an electric plane, prior to connecting the battery to check out the servos, etc.' , I always REMOVE THE PROP. I did not want to do that at first, but then I realized that it was the safest thing to do. ALWAYS!!! Comments?
For those of you who are reluctant to follow the wise and practical rules listed above, consider the attached photo taken after being bitten by a 60-sized electric airplane.

Are you still gonna stubbornly refuse to follow rules meant to protect you from bodily injury? Are you still gonna repeat the same tired old attitudes: "Nobody's gonna impose rules on me!" "Rules suck!" "This is a free country - I'm not doing that".

?

Ok fine. Just chop off your fingers now and be done with it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51165.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1899792  
Old 07-12-2013, 05:27 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

As others have said, just posting rules won't stop stupidity, but they do give you a way to root out reckless people from your club.

Larry,
If you can't see why "Plank fliers" and Egg Beaters don't mix well,, what can I say, maybe open your own heli only club.

http://gizmodo.com/5993225/watch-a-r...tely-destroyed
Old 07-12-2013, 05:44 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our clubs safety rules are not to protect the flyers from themselves, they protect the rest of us from those "gonzo flyers" who don't like rules! They seldom last long and are good riddance! Some of the clubs I've flown at seem to be populated with inmates from the local insane asylum!
Larry
Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 AM
CRockVet

I'm sorry about you finger but don't take away my independence because of your mistake.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You all are going 'round in circles. No matter how many laps you make you will not change the facts. No matter how may rules you post and enact there will always be accidents, always be folks who are accident prone, always be folks who are not safe, always be "low informed" types,  etc....
Old 07-12-2013, 06:02 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: CRockVet

I'm sorry about you finger but don't take away my independence because of your mistake.
You are not perfect, you are not bulletproof, this can happen to YOU! Wake up.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 AM
CRockVet

I am in a wheelchair due to my own actions. I don't blame others or try to take away their freedoms.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

You have rights and freedom but they don't include hurting others while enjoy yours . Again if you dont want to folow club rules then get elected president of your club and change them or fly esle where . I spent 2 terms as president at my first club and my happy flying time went from every weekend to @#$T . I have noticed in all my clubs clubs there are many who complain in the background or online but you rarely see them helping at club events or running for office in the club. They are not at meetings voting on rules or club buisness but they are sure at the field on weekends whining like a school girl or here in the forums about rules and club buisness . Yea i sad it ,its the lazy ones who complain but wont do a thing to change it.lmao
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 AM
CRockVet

So.....because I want to ground handle my own plane im a lazy, whining, school girl?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So.....because I want to ground handle my own plane im a lazy, whining, school girl?
That is NOT what joebahl posted.
last warning before this thread goes away gents.
please keep the comments civil.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:40 AM
joebahl

If it protects someone from getting hurt or its a club rule ,you said it. Sorry i call them how i see them. I have MS for 25 years now and iam in pain just to walk but if it means hurting someone or breaking any rules i will pick up my planes and carry them . I dont want to get prefured tretement at any club in the first place. Have you run for office in your club to change any rules ? joe
Old 07-12-2013, 06:40 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

Are you still gonna stubbornly refuse to follow rules meant to protect you from bodily injury? Are you still gonna repeat the same tired old attitudes: ''Nobody's gonna impose rules on me!'' ''Rules suck!'' ''This is a free country - I'm not doing that''.

Either stop all of the misquotes or please find an impartial moderator.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:41 AM
CRockVet

None the less. Very offensive
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 AM
joebahl

None the less. Very offensive
Ha HA its offensve when you dont follow club rules but come here to complain about them. Go to the meetings !
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 AM
CRockVet

How do you carry a 30 cc plane and push a wheelchair?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 AM
CRockVet

Isn't there a rule about personal attacks here?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:52 AM
CRockVet

And me going to a meeting or not has oohing to do with the op
Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 AM
CRockVet

The op wanted opinions of the rule.  I gave it and backed up my reasons.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 AM
joebahl

How do you carry a 30 cc plane and push a wheelchair?
Again you need to bring that up to your club and in your case iam sure they will figure out somthing for you . Iam a lucky one by not being in a wheelchair while iam fighting MS for this long but if i was not so lucky i would drag mine with my teeth rather than have anyone help me or carry it for me.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:14 AM
koastrc

Electrics? Has anyone considered the electric thing is changing by the day. Glo engines have been around a long time and we have come to a time when it is understood how it works. Gas engine were here first and went to glo and now back to gas. Glo and gas have a great deal in common. Over the years we have come to understand the thing we can do and things we don't do. Electric is a changing technology and we have a so called learning curve. Old timers love to talk about the good old days and young folks get tired of hearing the good old days. So it is, but the old day going to the store and buying a super duper Cox control line plane was the thing. Now we can even go to the tool store and buy a electric. People buy these things and have no clue what they have. Much like the Cox or Wen-Mac. We will all have to learn and that is just the plain facts. So my friends take your time and give it some thought to what is happening. Like the Moderator has explained. Acting like we do at times is not very clever. So I say give it some time and the things that are required of electrics will take care of itself.
People will do many things that are not to smart. A fact! I know I have and at the time it seemed like a good Idea. Right now electrics is just another way to do some of those not so smart things.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

[8D] If your club has enacted these rules for safety's sake , why not follow them ? This is not some kind of "electric plane discrimination" or trying to keep something new from taking over , it's good common sense to put safety at the forefront . Having been once bitten by a prop that resulted in over 20 stitches I can say from first hand (pun intended) experience that becoming soggy propbait is a FAR worse thing than disconnecting a battery or loosening a prop !

It takes only seconds to follow good safety practice , and it takes FAR longer to heal from the results of safety practice slip ups .
Old 07-12-2013, 07:39 AM
joebahl

When i firt started in electrict with lipos i was finishing a plane up and had it on my shop floor . I had the rudder backwards and with a new 2.4 transmitter i went into servo reversing menu and hit the wrong one (throttle) and it took off across my floor missing my bare feet and hitting my transmitter shelf . It CUT off both sticks on a futaba 6 channel transmitter and chewed the case up pretty good before i could get to the plane and yank esc from the battery apart . Thats when i started using a arming plug's and if there is no plug on my real small stuff i take the prop off while tinkering with it. If i have safety at my home then why would i not want it where others fly at my club field. After this i always wear my drug store cheap glasses so i can SEE the programing too ! lmao joe
Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Why is someone less likely to injure themselves at the runway than in the pit area ? We have airplane stands in our pits that restrain the ariplanes and stop them from lurching forward. We do not have such stands on the flight line. I'm not following the logic that you are somehow promoting safety. If anything yu are promoting the very opposite. But internet experts don't always have practical experience to go on.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A rule is just an opinion, backed by force ... "Do this my way, or else."

I don't believe that making threats is a good way to treat my fellow men.

I don't care for being threatened, so I guess that they don't, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.