Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Electric Planes at our field.

After a few close calls with electric planes at our field we just added two new Rules at our Flying Field. Others may want to consider these.
    β€’Electric aircraft must be taken to the flight line before connecting the batteries and the batteries disconnected before returning to the pit area.
    β€’If work is going to be conducted on electric aircraft and the batteries must be connected, the prop must be removed before connecting the batteries.
    When I'm at home setting up an electric plane, prior to connecting the battery to check out the servos, etc.' , I always REMOVE THE PROP. I did not want to do that at first, but then I realized that it was the safest thing to do. ALWAYS!!! Comments?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Electric Planes at our field.

ya, blame it on the airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep. Just ooooone more rule oughta fix it..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stupid people will always do stupid things no matter what you do. All the health and safety police do is lessen it by adding 'band aids' - I'd be surprised if stupidity is ever fully removed.
    Change the culture and you'll solve the cause of the problem. It's the hardest thing to do, but is always the best things to do.
    Raptor 50 Nitro heli - OS50 Hyper
    56\" Yak54 w/ ASP.61 2 stroke, 73" gas Sbach 342, H9 P51 blue nose in progress (with DLE20)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you figured out HOW to keep them from flying a whole flight RIGHT over the runway ??? ENJOY !!! RED

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, you can't "rule " out stupidity. Plus you have to assume the folks in your club can read if they can first find the list of rules !
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Villa

After a few close calls with electric planes at our field we just added two new Rules at our Flying Field. Others may want to consider these.
    β€’Electric aircraft must be taken to the flight line before connecting the batteries and the batteries disconnected before returning to the pit area.
    β€’If work is going to be conducted on electric aircraft and the batteries must be connected, the prop must be removed before connecting the batteries.
    When I'm at home setting up an electric plane, prior to connecting the battery to check out the servos, etc.' , I always REMOVE THE PROP. I did not want to do that at first, but then I realized that it was the safest thing to do. ALWAYS!!! Comments?
    Pretty dumb rules IMHO. If that is the rule, I hope you also make sure no one starts and IC engine in the pits, take it to the runway before starting!!! By all means, never let an IC engine taxi back to the pits, make the pilot go to the runway, stop the engine and carry it back. That way all your rules will be equally poor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Villa, After reading the thread prop bitten, I can sympathise with your concerns. Being used to running glow fuel equipment I could see myself forgetting that the motor is ready and rarin' to go. Maybe now that there have been a few close calls everyone flying electric at your club will be more aware of the inherent dangers involved and take the necessary precautions.Calvi
    Ultra Sport Brother # 144

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rodney
    I'm disappointed at your comment, along with some of the other comments, but I will not get into a further discussion. With out rules to guide us then we all will have to learn all of the dangers thru personal experience. That, to me, is stupid.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Villa, our club is with you, we already implemented these rules about a year ago, had several mishaps, worse one, a guy turned his transmitter off first before unplugging the battery and the fail safe was set at full throttle on a 120 sized plane, very scary
    Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like that guy needs to add something to his pre-flight.

CGr
    Skylark 70 - OS .75 AX; Excelleron 90 - OS 1.20 AX; Venus II - OS 1.20 AX; And, I still fly my trainer, Hanger 9 Alpha - OS .46 FX! Some electrics. Airtronics RD8000 - Spektrum DX7 - DX6i. AMA 705964.
    Semper Paratus!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh believe me, WE added something to his preflight
    Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll have to say I agree with all of your rules 100%. I was working on a 60-sized electric plane IN MY LIVING ROOM, with the PROPELLOR ON THE PLANE, I accidentally nudged the throttle and the plane leaped off the table. I instinctively reached out to stop it and it bit my right hand. Blood went everywhere. I ended up paying $850 out of my own pocket to the emergency room and emergency room physician because of the high deductible on my health insurance.

I would also recommend use of a switch such as the MPI #6970 or #6972 to arm/disarm the batteries/motor/esc or a throttle enable/disable on the transmitter.

The rules listed above are a good start at keeping spinning razorblades we call propellors away from people, hands, fingers, appendages (yikes!). Electric flight is great - it's all I do - but you really have to focus on everything you do step-by-step. If you don't you're gonna get bit and it'll make a bloody mess.

Of course, there's an upside to getting mangled by a propeller..........you get immediate attention at an emergency room when you're bleeding on the emergency room floor. They're not gonna worry if you're really sick or just fakeing.

I know, I know. I was a dumb*****.

"We’re retrieving the seed — then we’re done defending the humans."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am surprised by the responses. However it is his club, if the rule was brought up, seconded and voted in per his clubs by laws then be thankful it is club and not your club.
    On the other hand rules wont fix accidents.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I am surprised by the responses. However it is his club, if the rule was brought up, seconded and voted in per his clubs by laws then be thankful it is club and not your club.
    On the other hand rules wont fix accidents.

When I built my first big electric (telemaster) many many years ago, I called Hobby-Lobby with one question, and the guy told me: When you do not fly, it is advisable you loosen a bit the prop. If you start the motor accidentally, nothing will happen.

I still do this. Particularly when the meat slicer is 18 por 20" in diameter... And the motor is over 3HP...:-)

Another thing I use on my Giant Stick electric is an arming switch. I really like it. When I land, I retrieve the arming switch first thing...

Current big electrics are vay too powerful not to be careful around them. Besides, in a fraction of one second you can have 100% power... just by flipping a switch.

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So you will make me carry my plane, plane stand out to the flight line, plug in my battery, bolt on my wing, before my flight. Then I have to take the wing off, pull the battery, carry everything back to the pits.

Looks like I would be flying in the late afternoon alone with this rule in place.

Do you make the helicopter pilots do the same thing?

For everything out there, a buffoon will spoil it for the rest. No matter how many rules, people will screw up. No reason to punish every one for the poor skills of a few people.

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To each his own but if I was really concerned about prop safety I would implement a rule where every plane had to be equipped with an arming switch and the plane couldn't be armed until it was at the flight line. This would be much easier and quicker than pulling batteries.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We just added a table just behind the flight line where batteries are connected / disconnected. That's all... You do something bad "that affects others" and flight privledges are revoked for awhile... end of story.. pretty effective.
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly along and will plug in my batteries and walk up to 75 yard depending on the wind to fly, never had a problem but I am very careful how I carry the radio. I always remove the prop before doing anything that will involve an armed motor, never been hurt or had damage done In the shop. I did have a scare 13 years ago made a believer out of me. Yes some people will make mistakes, some people will be unsafe., I know you have to have rules maybe you can show them the error of their ways, help them to be safe.

Ken Smith

Be safe and have fun

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

So you will make me carry my plane, plane stand out to the flight line, plug in my battery, bolt on my wing, before my flight. Then I have to take the wing off, pull the battery, carry everything back to the pits.

Looks like I would be flying in the late afternoon alone with this rule in place.
    It's really not that bad.

Before takeoff:

1. put wing on the plane in the pits, (pump up retracts if you have them,) walk the plane out to the test stand near flight line and place the plane on the stand.
    2. put battery in plane and plug it in BUT LEAVE THE BATTERY ARMING SWITCH OUT.
    3. turn on transmitter, turn on receiver, test ailerons, elevator, rudder. Make sure throttle stick is fully down.
    4. INSERT BATTERY ARMING SWITCH to enable the motor. Run up the electric motor to verify it works. Make sure throttle stick is fully down.
    5. Remove the battery arming switch to disable the motor. Make sure to leave throttle stick fully down. (Could skip steps 5 and 7 IF YOU'RE CAREFUL)
    6. Place the plane on the ground near the flight line. Make sure throttle stick is fully down.
    7. INSERT THE BATTERY ARMING SWITCH to enable the motor.
    8. Taxi to the flight line, takeoff, and fly.

After landing:

1. Taxi to a safe spot, make sure throttle stick is fully down, and disable the motor by removing the battery arming switch. Do NOT taxi into the pits or towards the pits where there's people.
    2. turn off receiver, turn off transmitter.
    3. Put your plane on a test stand.
    4. Disconnect the battery, let it cool down, then recharge it.
    5. Repeat "Before takeoff" steps 1 through 8 to fly again.

These are the precautions I take when flying 60-sized, 120-sized, and 160-sized electric airplanes. I usually can manage to get 4 flights per day on my 60-sized planes using the above methods. 3 flights for larger planes.

Oops.....just re-read your post. You have to pull your wing off to pull the battery? My planes are built such that I never have to pull the wing off except when I'm done flying for the day. I have one plane that I have to pull the cowl off to get at the batteries but it's simple.

"We’re retrieving the seed — then we’re done defending the humans."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Our club added these exact 2 rules 3 years ago. 2 separate incidents a couple of days apart. Pilot working on his electric plane under our sun shade on a picnictable. Hit the throttle and the plane flew off the table, hit two other pilots ( thankfully no seriously ). Next one was a different pilot who armed his plane at his car, walked to the flightline with transmitter in one hand and plane in another. Tripped, fell on transmitter, throttle went to full, plane took off straight into our pit area fence. No one hurt, plane destroyed.Since the rules have been set and promoted, there has not been another incident (160 pilots in club).Very good rules in my opinion.
    Chris923
    (Capt. Cluck) Screamin' Chicken Squadron
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood # 2
    The not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood #4
    The Flying Electrons
    Meno. Falls, Wisconsin

Futaba
    True Turn
    Kirby Custom Graphics
    Bad Brad Graphics
    Robarts,Down and Locked
    Top Flite,Ziroli,Byron
    DLE, Zenoah,OS
    Cool Power

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rodney

•Electric aircraft must be taken to the flight line before connecting the batteries and the batteries disconnected before returning to the pit area.
    •If work is going to be conducted on electric aircraft and the batteries must be connected, the prop must be removed before connecting the batteries.
    Pretty dumb rules IMHO. If that is the rule, I hope you also make sure no one starts and IC engine in the pits, take it to the runway before starting!!! By all means, never let an IC engine taxi back to the pits, make the pilot go to the runway, stop the engine and carry it back. That way all your rules will be equally poor.
    I fly at or belong to 5 clubs and every one has these exact rules and they enforce them. It's only common scene. We had a gentleman arm a large electric plane on a table tied down within 5 feet of te flight line like he should. Put on his neck strap, Hooked it to his radio, went to the rear of the plane and untied it. went to the front of the plane to move it onto the flying field. Bumped the throttle and the plane jumped off the table and cut off his right index finger when attempted to stop the plane. Now if he had been behind the plane he would have not been injured. Also 99% of us are using computer radios and most have a feature called Throttle Cut. I program all my planes Gas Glow and Electric with throttle cut. This prevents an electric from starting unless the Throttle cut switch is in the on position. I also use an arming plug I insert in the side of the plane after placing it in a position to taxi and then I place the throttle cut switch to on. So all U people say there are too many rules it not if U have an accident/incident but when U do.
    Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #24 & #43

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We cannot plug in our flight batteries in the pits or start up area, they must plugged in on the safety line away from the start up area, on one of three taxi ways to the main runway....they all have the yellow line. The line is about  20 feet from the start up area, Its also the same line that wet engine pilots use after starting their aircraft in the start up area.....you must hold the tail of the craft up to this line. We can taxi to the main runway and back to this line, then the battery must be disconnected. Someone cut his finger off a few years back. Nothing has happened since the rule was implemented.

P-47 Thunderbolt Brother hood # 71

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Throttle Cut is a great feature and I have begun to switch over all of my electric planes to use this feature on my Dx8.
    Wonder Rather Than Doubt, Is The Root Of All Knowledge.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #20
    P51 Mustang Brotherhood #30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

•Electric aircraft must be taken to the flight line before connecting the batteries and the batteries disconnected before returning to the pit area.
    •If work is going to be conducted on electric aircraft and the batteries must be connected, the prop must be removed before connecting the batteries.
    Some radios come with a throttle cut/lock and nearly all modern computerized radios can be programed through mixes to set up a throttle kill switch. The programming varies depending on the model. You can search through Google or call your radio vendor for help with your particular radio. Everyone of my models are setup with a throttle kill switch. Electric modelers need to plug-in the battery and check over the plane with a good pre-flight check before taking it out to the flightline to fly just like any other powered plane. I would quit my club and expect a refund if they implemented these rules that are based on pure ignorance of the hobby.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast