Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need to identify Ohlsson Rice Motor.

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need to identify Ohlsson Rice Motor.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:41 PM
thelowbudget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to identify Ohlsson Rice Motor.

I have this old Ohlsson Rice Motor, we do not know what it's intended use is. What model it is etc.

I attached some images of the motor below. It is at least 30 years old in new old stock condition.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15981.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1903955  
Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Need to identify Ohlsson Rice Motor.

ORIGINAL: thelowbudget

I have this old Ohlsson Rice Motor, we do not know what it's intended use is. What model it is etc.

I attached some images of the motor below. It is at least 30 years old in new old stock condition.

Hi thelowbudget ,

Your engine appears to be one of Ohlsson and Rice's utility engines , and maybe not specifically designed for model airplane use . Ohlsson & Rice made many small engines for a variety of purposes , one of which being to motorize a bicycle . The exhaust casting , really the general looks of it , look kinda heavy for any airborne application .

I'll attempt to enclose a shot of the average O&R model airplane engine for example ...
Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a good example of the engines available for model planes back in the late 30's and 40's. They ran on gasoline and a very heavy weight oil (60 if I remember correctly), used a coil and spark ignition with a true spark plug. About all that was available prior to the invention of the glow plug. They were low revving engines with large (compared to the modern engines) diameter props. I'm surprised some engine collectors are not knocking down your door to get this.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 AM
topspin

I never even heard of Ohlsson and Rice motors, you guys must be really old.. They are pretty cool looking though, kinda like a miniature lawn mower engine.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Looks like it has roller bearing on the con rod. Wonder what size it is?