Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

*sigh* 1 more week?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:43 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The old software was out of date and not updateable,, only has taken me a few days to get used to the new format. If the drastic change means a stable platform for the future after all the years of issues, it's a worth it.

I think it's time to focus on the content and not the color of the walls

Good luck
Old 08-17-2013, 02:13 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was still better than this. Given that they OWN this software they should be able to do whatever they want with it, so its this way by choice. What I am trying to say though is that if they dont fix the color of the walls, (that they should never have messed with in the first place) then it doesnt matter what the content is.

I would rather not have to leave, but I would rather do that than deal with seeing this every day, and knowing that it could have been great looking, except for some techs who didnt care.

Last edited by BadSplice; 08-17-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:31 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BadSplice, I'm not real sure what, exactly, you're unhappy about. Color of the walls? I realize that is an expression, referring to something here that has changed. But what? The colors? The lay-out? The navigation?

You should remember when RCOnline became RCUniverse. Don't you recall how immensely unpopular the new format of the forum was? My God, you would have thought that the new owners had spit on the flag. I didn't like it either; but having to adapt was worth it, because now one could navigate through the forum normally. FWIW, I think the change then was a lot more drastic than this one, and it would seem that 'they" are slowly getting the glitches ironed out. This is the third day I've logged in and been recognized immediately, without having to do the log-in dance. So that's a good sign, in my book.

And you have been advised, straight up, that whatever it is about the new look that you don't like will NOT be "going back" to the old way... so give us a break on that, okay? You don't like the change... we got that. No sense in continually carping about it.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:57 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Wil the "forum jump" and the "location"(the one under the avatar that used to be an option to list or not).. will they come back at some point.. I found those 2 tools useful, as it was nice to know where someone is you're communicating with... as it is now.. we could be right next door and not know it... and the "forum jump" made navigating the site very easy and quick.. Reality is its just a few more steps at this point to take then we did before... but nevertheless those are seem to be a few things lost in the shuffle. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM
BadSplice

Originally Posted by LSP972
BadSplice, I'm not real sure what, exactly, you're unhappy about. Color of the walls? I realize that is an expression, referring to something here that has changed. But what? The colors? The lay-out? The navigation?

You should remember when RCOnline became RCUniverse. Don't you recall how immensely unpopular the new format of the forum was? My God, you would have thought that the new owners had spit on the flag. I didn't like it either; but having to adapt was worth it, because now one could navigate through the forum normally. FWIW, I think the change then was a lot more drastic than this one, and it would seem that 'they" are slowly getting the glitches ironed out. This is the third day I've logged in and been recognized immediately, without having to do the log-in dance. So that's a good sign, in my book.

And you have been advised, straight up, that whatever it is about the new look that you don't like will NOT be "going back" to the old way... so give us a break on that, okay? You don't like the change... we got that. No sense in continually carping about it.

Well there's the facebook color scheme, with the dark blue dividing bars between posts that looks terrible now.

Theres the blocky boxes around the incomplete info under our name to the left. It reminds me of a generic form filled in by a generic computer.

Theres also the redundant control bars and ads at the top of a forum that mean you have to scroll down to see ANY of the posts.

Then theres the way the thread starter shows under the thread title now (taking up more space on the page) instead of being in the column to the right with the last poster. The way it was before (both in the right hand columns) made more sense

Also theres the Picture interface. The old click on click off interface was way more friendly in my opinion. And theres how the attachment icon (paperclip) is now way over to the right, instead of right next to the thread title. (knowing whether there are pictures is important info to me)

Overall, I think it looks like someone plugged RCU into vBulletin's default preferences, and didnt customize anything to make it more "RCU". I (and many others) think it looks bad, and makes me want to go looking for somewhere else to spend my time. I think all of these changes could be made without even having to revert back to the old software.

Next, do I understand that you are arguing that because the last time they had a major retrofit and change, and everyone hated it then too, that somehow that means I have no grounds for hating this now? How does the fact that a change like this makes people very angry, but they do it anyway, mean thats ok? If we hate a change thats been made because it wasnt a good change, we should just stand there and take it because "change is inevitable"?

You assert that I have been told its not going back at all and I should just accept that. I dont see that you are a moderator. Are you an admin or forum tech of some kind? If not, no admin has told me that these are changes that cant yet be made. Until then, I will continue to hope for them. If its truly never going to happen then I will go away.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The site seems to be improving by the day. I'm staying logged in and having less problems. You have to know how to maneuver around the site though. The picture uploader is different than what most of you are used to but I've been using the very same one on another RC forum site and on here it actually works much better here allowing faster uploading and larger pictures. I'm still not too crazy about the drop-down menu yet so generally I avoid using it.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 AM
LSP972

Originally Posted by BadSplice
Until then, I will continue to hope for them. If its truly never going to happen then I will go away.
I suggest, then, that you pack your bags. RCKen was pretty plain about it, although his statement apparently was aimed a bit too high for some folks.

No, I'm not a moderator nor involved with the administration of this board in any manner. I CAN, however, read and comprehend.

You should try it sometime...

Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 AM
BadSplice

Seems like we'd both like it if the Ignore button was back too.....

That was a really useful feature

Also, I havent read every single post about this, but Ive read a lot, and I must have missed the post youre referring to. Got a link to back up your statement?
I have seen admins state absolutely that we will not be going back to the old forum software, but nowhere have I seen an admin say that this is it and no more changes are being made.

Are sou sure you can read and comprehend?

Last edited by BadSplice; 08-18-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Sure, the color of the break bars and background as well as pictures and banners are editable in any Vbulletin version,, but that is a low priority for the admins at this point,,, they are busy fixing bugs as they should.

My question to you is, why is it so important how the info is wrapped up? isn't it the info that is important?

The old "Block" icon is gone, true, but there is an "Ignore" feature, it accessable in your control panel page
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/prof...?do=ignorelist

just copy and paste those bad guys in there,, easy squeezy.

good luck
Old 08-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's been a long time comin' and I wasn't too keen on the revamp either at first but it's growing on me as I get used to it. It takes a lot of work to update and move a site this massive. The leader of the team was at the Toledo Show with Ken and some of the other higher-ups here and they gave her a tour of the SeaGate to give her an idea of what we're about.
Nobody says that if you're not happy with the site that you have to stay. you can simply choose to not come in here or there's even an option to close out your account in here, your choice of course. Members *****ed about the old RCU but now whining about the new one, you can't make everyone happy and they aren't going to revert because one member out of thousands isn't. When Internet Brands and vBulletin comes out with a better version down the road I'm sure that we'll see that one next and go through the same old same old again, the old site was better stuff.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:59 PM
LSP972

Originally Posted by RCKen
Unfortunately going back to the old system isn't an option.
There ya go, BadSplice. What part of "isn't an option" wasn't clear to you???

Then again, you're pissing and moaning about so many different things, maybe I AM confused.

Guess I'll just have to muddle along with the rest of the herd, take this FREE resource in whatever configuration the administrators decide to give us, and support their efforts to fix problems... rather than carp and complain about colors, blocky boxes (?), redundant control bars, and other world-shattering issues.

You have a large day; me, I'll have a Bud Lite...

Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 PM
BadSplice

There ya go, BadSplice. What part of "isn't an option" wasn't clear to you???

Then again, you're pissing and moaning about so many different things, maybe I AM confused.

Well, I cant remember if this was part of the old software or not, but I found something I like here. When you quote someone in a post, it creates a little link back to where that original post came from, so you can go see it in its context. Because context is important. For instance, when you look at the Whole of the post you quoted from Ken, it supports what I said. They can not and do not intend to go back to the old software.

Originally Posted by RCKen
Unfortunately going back to the old system isn't an option. The software that RCU used to be ran with was produced by a company that went out of business many years ago. so there are no updates, upgrades, or support for that software package. That is why the old RCU lacked many features that other forums had (and many members asked for), and had no possibilities of ever getting. I understand that there are some frustrations with this new software, but I can assure you that our tech team is working as hard as they can to resolve all of the issues that have come up. Before too long all of this will be history and we'll be back to running smoothly again. We do appreciate your patience during our growing pains.

Ken
So it would appear that you were confused. I can certainly understand. I have gotten a bit carried away myself in getting frustrated seeing the site change. Clearly I have offended you, and I see that I am not doing much good here, so I'll step back for a while. But I still hope for it to go back to more of a classic appearance. The only feedback that I have received from actual Mods has left me thinking it might yet happen.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 AM
LSP972

Clearly I have offended you...
Oh, not at all. It has been quite amusing, actually.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 AM
BadSplice

Oh, not at all. It has been quite amusing, actually.

Right....... because when someone is amusing you, you ask them to stop in the nastiest way possible. Do you actually think youre a nice person?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 AM
LSP972

Do you actually think youre a nice person?
Not at all. I actually tend to mind my own business... however, when something is patently ridiculous, I often cannot restrain myself. But you haven't SEEN nasty... not called for in this case, and against forum rules in any event.

You went full retard on this one, bud. Live with it. And since you apparently are one who insists on the last word, have at it. I'm done.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gentlemen, lets please keep the discussion on topic.
I'd like to point out RCKen's post is that going back to the old SYSTEM (the old hardware and 'software') is not possible.
(we've alluded to it being held together with bailing wire and duct tape)
Going back to the old 'LOOK and FEEL' IS still being worked.
it will not be possible to have RCU LOOK EXACTLY as it did, and it is certainly not DESIRABLE to go back to the way the site used to work
(not able to upload images, the site being completely down for days on end, etc etc etc.)
but it's definately a work in progress, and the developers and techs are looking at the known bugs and major issues first,
look and feel changes are as time permits, but IS STILL on the radar.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 AM
BadSplice

Well.... Still waiting for any changes in the appearance and navigation of the site. Would it really be that hard to take a few minutes and change everything about the appearance that you can, so it looks like progress, and maybe feels like progress too?

If you dont do something VERY soon, then if you do change the apperance all the people who got used to this crap will complain. Are you trying to get out of doing anything that way?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM
BadSplice

Nevermind. I give up.

To all you who are happy with this new site... have fun.
To all of you who arent happy with it, sorry we couldnt get our old site back.
To the old owners of RCU, screw you for selling us out.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

I have seen this before on other hobby forums. The old software is replaced with a new system and everyone hates it and they left in droves. Then a couple years goes by and the new site is popping and hissing with more excitement then the old one ever had. Old members that left in droves came back with new handles. So I would think the same thing will happen here. It will die off, members will leave disgusted, traffic is at a stand still. But in a year or two it will be strong, people will hardly ever mention "the way it was" and life will go on. So we are in that awkward phase of disgust, anger and felling hopeless that things will never be the same, they won't for better or for worse so here we are. I went flying today, and I am going flying tomorrow.

TB