Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Pricing/Plane sizes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM
byrne1157

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Pricing/Plane sizes

Just wanted to find out if anyone feels that planes re too big/expensive?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 AM
RonTo

Try finding the cheapest @:
http://www.rcmatch.com/content/plane...Planes&rs=home

Old 08-13-2013, 03:24 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by byrne1157
Just wanted to find out if anyone feels that planes re too big/expensive?

There is a size and price for almost everybody that wants to be in our hobby. It's possible to get flying for less than $150.00. The price goes up from there.

This is a hobby. Hobbies are financed by discretionary funds. Buy what you can afford.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm always telling my students, in this hobby, it can be as cheap as you want or as expensive as you want.
Edwin
Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Not sure I understand too big. There is everything from palm-sized airplanes to 50% scale or more. Plenty of small stuff out there.

Too expensive? It depends on what you want. There are plenty of .40-.60 planes out there for $100 ballpark, from quality suppliers (anything from Tower/Phoenix to Horizon/Seagull to 3DHobbyshop "Buck Huck"). Think about what it takes to get one made, put it together, and ship it to your door. I expect specialized planes to be more expensive with improved fit and finish, and common, high volume planes to cost less and lack some fine finish details. There are always exceptions.

All it takes for me is to remember how much money I spent at a bar or on a fancy dinner when I was a little younger, and it gets very easy to justify a few hundred bucks that will offer me a substantial amound of enjoyment.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
byrne1157

I guess I should be more specific when I post in here. I have many planes, some small, some not so small. Some what a person would expensive, some not so. I just have the feeling lately that the hobby is trending toward the larger than 60inch, larger than .46-.61 size planes as offered by the manufacturers. Could just be my perception. I personally like the .46-.61 size planes, because I don't have to invest what I consider to be a lot of cash into electronics and an engine that could run a small bike, or go-cart. Heck, for what some guys invest into one airplane, I could get 3 or 4 airplanes into the air....
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Seems like I remember this subject matter about 10 years or so ago. We have lots of smaller electrics at our club. I've always leaned towards .60 sized to giant scale. 1/4 scale cubs, Rascal110 sport, 104" B-17, 80" B-25 and so on. I have many kits in the 86" to 100" range for gas warbirds, just waiting for retirement.
Edwin
Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NOT to disagree with the OP but....
Large scale models (~80 inch wingspan and bigger) have been around for decades, heck I've got an old 84" giant stinger with a G-62 in it that's 20 years old...
that being said, prior to maybe 10 years ago I NEVER saw anything like the 14" wingspan indoor / park flyers that seem to be everywhere these days.
personally, I think it's a GREAT thing... I've spent the last 5 winters (in Minnesota, mind you) flying indoors at the local high school gym
nothing like going out at 6PM (an hour after dark ) on a windy, rainy, 28F evening....... and getting 8 or 10 flights in.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM
hookedonrc

We used to live just west of Burnsville, MN....You must be talking about July and August when you mention 28F evening. I seem to remember 28F in the minus category.

As far as expense and size, I think we have a lot more options in this hobby than we used to. And technology sure has made the changes and options come a lot faster. You should be able to find a price point at which you are comfortable in the hobby. Size is another matter..the larger you get the more it costs..just a matter of what goes into the larger craft from construction to electronics and power plants. I personally am still in the 40-60 size, but mostly electrics..the larger ones get a gas engine, heavy duty servos, electronic engine cutoff and just more of it. I just wish we had more of the younger generation that were interested.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:23 AM
karlik

Actually, what I find is an abundance of under 40 inch foamies. I prefer a larger (for me 54 in is getting borderline) wingspan.

My complaint is mostly foamies and arfs, few balsa kits.