The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What is wrong with RCG?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM
JollyPopper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What is wrong with RCG?

Why do we look down our noses at RCG and why do I keep reading threads critical to that site? Are we a bunch of snobs? Is our hobby not big enough to support two major forums? What, exactly, should we hate about RCG? I need to get on the bandwagon and learn what I should be feeling superior to. I kind of feel that in some ways that site is far superior to this one, and I realize that is wrong. Come on guys, help me out here.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:08 AM
flycatch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Believe it or not the difference is the caliber of modelers who use this site compared to those that use the other.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:07 AM
1320Fastback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use both and about 3 more to fill my RC needs.

I don't think the difference between the caliber of people on here or RCG is any different.
There are some incredibly smart people on RCG in all areas from electronics to building.

To me its more of a Ford vs. Chevy type thing.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post
I use both and about 3 more to fill my RC needs.

I don't think the difference between the caliber of people on here or RCG is any different.
There are some incredibly smart people on RCG in all areas from electronics to building.

To me its more of a Ford vs. Chevy type thing.
Agree, very good info in both. I get a lot of good info from several different forums including this one and would feel slighted if I had to give one up.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:16 PM
KaP2011

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatch View Post
believe it or not the difference is the caliber of modelers who use this site compared to those that use the other.
roflol!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:05 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess my caliber is not good enough on RCG. I use both, plus several more. You find certain forums are more active on one or the other but that is about it.

Buzz.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:50 PM
TFF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RCG was always the catch place for the people who could not take criticism in their threads. It is also why most is light in content. A lot more park flying electric there, which is the best place to find out about that field. With the change here and if the people dont come back, this will be the small site. I go to another niche site and here, and that is it.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:21 PM
TLH101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ive been on RCU since 01 or so, and RCG for the last 5-6. For the last year or so, I don't come here nearly as much as RCG, and if this is what we have now, it will be even less.

Last edited by TLH101; 08-10-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 PM
topspin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPopper View Post
Why do we look down our noses at RCG and why do I keep reading threads critical to that site? Are we a bunch of snobs? Is our hobby not big enough to support two major forums? What, exactly, should we hate about RCG? I need to get on the bandwagon and learn what I should be feeling superior to. I kind of feel that in some ways that site is far superior to this one, and I realize that is wrong. Come on guys, help me out here.
I feel that in every way this site is far superrior to RCG and that is what is wrong with them. That and their completely goofy moderation are what keep serious modelers on RCU.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:50 PM
countilaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RCG is a joke. When a forum allows an advertiser to tell it how it's going to be run, nothing but chaos follows. Along with the biased and slap stick moderators it's a real joke over there.

Seems to me Jolly Popper, your here to recruit new members for a forum that going down the toilet.

I have found that this forum caters to a higher level of intelligence in it's members as well as it moderators. There are a few of us that like to bicker among ourselves about one hobby supplier. But I think it's more in fun than seriousness. RCU doesn't cater to shills like RCG does. And if you really do it well, you get to be a "PLUS" member.

RCU is just a better all around forum.

So if you are a person that doesn't like RCU, go back to the rock you crawled out from under and leave us in peace.

That may be blunt, but it's how I feel.

Frank
Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 PM
rcjetflyer0718

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RCG is geared more to electric fliers and most of their forums are electric and very few glow or gas. until this week I preferred RCU due to the format. now they are the same so i guess i will spend alot less time here because it sucks. When they changed format it would not let me log on my orginal screen name ( actually when they did an upgrade in 2001 they wouldnt allow my orginal rcjetflyer1 and had to change it to rcjetflyer0718-rcu) newer is not better its worst.

Last edited by rcjetflyer0718; 08-10-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 PM
rcjetflyer0718

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I actually tried doing what the admin said for logging in deleting cookies history and it didnt work!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:52 AM
LSP972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatch View Post
Believe it or not the difference is the caliber of modelers who use this site compared to those that use the other.
That's painting with a rather broad brush, eh?

I recently got into electric stuff, and have found a lot of helpful, knowledgeable folks over there. For damn sure, there wasn't much help to be had HERE... And the "new look" is, well... I tried to reply to this last night, and it locked up tighter than Dick's hatband. For the last few months, this site has reminded me of the old RCOnline (you've been here long enough to remember that as well) back when it became totally over-loaded and practically useless.

And if you are obliquely referring to maturity/etc. of the members there... spent any time in the car forums here? Back a few years ago when my grandson was deep into buggies & trucks, I had to deal with the Romper Room antics, poor spelling and execrable grammar rampant there.

Personally, I find RCGroups to be like any other forum I've ever been on; some good, some bad, but generally informative.

At least it WORKS all the time...

Old 08-11-2013, 02:02 AM
LSP972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by countilaw View Post

So if you are a person that doesn't like RCU, go back to the rock you crawled out from under and leave us in peace.
Hey, Frank... what rock did YOU crawl out from under?

Some of us have been here (on this forum) since before it even became RCU. So don't presume to preach to us.

RCG may be a joke to you. Personally, I have gotten some good information from there in the past month or so.

Like your "signature" says... its a hobby, not a job. So untwist your knickers and relax, eh?

Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 AM
TonyBuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use both sites, and enjoy both. In the past RCG was easier to use and I liked the ease of posting there. There are a lot of good modelers there and I like to have a backup to my build logs. Only difference I see is the amount of traffic. Always good to have an alternate to anything .

TB
Old 08-11-2013, 05:57 AM
karlik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For me it was unregulated spam.
For example, the mfg omg servos would give away free servos provided the user posts a video link at RCG. And so there were tons of new members who made 1 post then never showed up again. Search for the user omgservo and he has made tons of posts - every one promoting his product and not one making a real contribution to any discussion. RCG allows it, RCU deletes spam and closes spam accounts.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:55 AM
t-max97

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
That's painting with a rather broad brush, eh?

I recently got into electric stuff, and have found a lot of helpful, knowledgeable folks over there. For damn sure, there wasn't much help to be had HERE... And the "new look" is, well... I tried to reply to this last night, and it locked up tighter than Dick's hatband. For the last few months, this site has reminded me of the old RCOnline (you've been here long enough to remember that as well) back when it became totally over-loaded and practically useless.

And if you are obliquely referring to maturity/etc. of the members there... spent any time in the car forums here? Back a few years ago when my grandson was deep into buggies & trucks, I had to deal with the Romper Room antics, poor spelling and execrable grammar rampant there.

Personally, I find RCGroups to be like any other forum I've ever been on; some good, some bad, but generally informative.

At least it WORKS all the time...

Oh please, I spend about equal time in the car forums and in the plane forums and I see misplellin and uncorrect gramer in both.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 AM
topspin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well from the beginning it looked pretty clear to me that some of the RCG sleepers have awakened to try and discredit this site. It struck me as odd that in so many years I never saw a thread like this until RC Universe got a face lift. Now all of a sudden here is a thread suggesting that the membership here should beat a hasty path over to a broken site.Well be my guest if you like haphazard moderation and a set of rules duJour on a site that is seruptitiosly run by a sponsor with a reputation in the hobby community for stiffing customers then by all means, go. This site just got better so I don't think the established membership is going to be moved to go elsewhere. -,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,As for electric planes, Wattflyer is part of this forum and there is plenty of information to be had there without the sniping and the know nothing misfits who feel compelled to post just to see themselves in print. There are half a dozen of the aformentioned who come to mind posting on every subject on RCG especially ones they know absolutely nothing about.-,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Going Flying.

Last edited by topspin; 08-11-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:53 AM
countilaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
Hey, Frank... what rock did YOU crawl out from under?

Some of us have been here (on this forum) since before it even became RCU. So don't presume to preach to us.

RCG may be a joke to you. Personally, I have gotten some good information from there in the past month or so.

So what are you doing over here?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:32 PM
hookedonrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want to beat a hasty retreat to another forum because of the upgrade problems that is your prerogative. I know there have been a lot of problems, but I trust the owners of the site to prioritize and resolve them as quickly as they can. This site has been my go to place when I need help and there a lot of good people here. We went through another upgrade several years ago that had problems too. We seemed to have lived through that one.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:16 PM
LSP972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by countilaw View Post
So what are you doing over here?
Checking to see if the "new RCU" is all we were promised. As in, you won't have to wait five minutes for a page to load, etc. The new format is a non-issue; people will get accustomed to it, or they won't.

Anyone throwing rocks (at the "new RCU") right now is being a tard; it will take some time to get the new system settled, I'm sure.

I'm here because this is the best overall R/C modeling forum extant, when all things are considered. That's why I have STAYED here for over a decade. The simple truth is that RCG has more electric guys in its ranks, and I needed information in that area that I wasn't getting here because:

1. Half the time I came here, in the past six months, the board was slow or just not "moving" at all
2. Most of the few queries I managed to get posted went unanswered

You made a ridiculous statement to the effect that RCG participants are not as "smart" as RCU members. Do not confuse me taking exception to that with being a cheerleader for RCG.

Have a large day.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM
JollyPopper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To those of you who have a problem reading the English language, I did not ask anyone to beat a hasty retreat, or any other kind of mass evacuation, to RCG. In fact, except for the classified section over there, I very seldom go there and I even more rarely submit a post in the forums there. I joined this site eleven years ago and have posted just under 2000 posts here, so don't presume to tell me that I don't like this site or that I like that site better or that I am asking folks to abandon this site and go to that one. My question was simply asking what was wrong with RCG and why should we hate them so much.
They are both simply tools that we have at our disposal to use to further our enjoyment of the hobby. Why not use both?
I have two vehicles sitting outside my house. I normally drive the truck, but once in a while, I like to drive the little convertible. I certainly don't hate one of them. Each is just a tool to use as I wish. That is what these forums should be. There is no need to fall in love with one and hate the other. That is limiting our resources for no reason.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey JP how ya'll doing? OK in your original post you asked "What is wrong with RCG" and I am going to try to answer exactly that and of course its only me and only just my opinion:

There are two things wrong with it

First I cannot stand looking at those silly cartoonish characture drawings of a transmitter with Eyeballs all the way down every listings page.

Second and the most important for me anyway is the fact that site it is obvious that electric is king in any form and any type of internal combustion is shoved to the back of the room. Virtually no sub forums while there are sub forum after sub forum for the electric folks. Its even hard to find the few IC forum down in the hole. Every forum where you go anywhere you will find a percentage of the evangelical electrical enthusiast that will not be happy until any IC is stomped out. You may laugh they are there.

Now it seems RCG has a higher percentage of these fellows so I have no desire to deal with them though I have four electrics in my fleet I also have a fleet of 56 plug and play IC aircraft and I even still fly controlline and we never completely went away.

So JP that is why I don,t frequent RCG and those are my reasons. I have did not slam anybody and its simply there is no common interest, zip, zero, nada for me.

John
Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 AM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Been using both. Used to be exclusive to RCU due to a strange banning of my handle at RCG. But since the technical problems at RCU of late, I have been on RCG under a new handle.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM
scale only 4 me

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPopper View Post
Please don't use the word "we",, every forum has snobs, trolls, newbies, etc. etc,

RCG does have a large EP following, which is all good, but they have plenty of IC threads too, many of the same people here post there as well.

I browse a just a few forums there, and only browse about 10 forums here,, just the ones that interets me,, there are way to many here or there to know all that's going on

Not hard to notice RCGs most visous haters are guys that have been banned for trolling there,, hard to like the moderators when they kicked you out for causing trouble, no suprize there. And before you believe that guys are kicked out unfairly,, they have a very detailed system of aquiring points and warnings and time outs, and apeals before you get perminantly banned. I doubt anyone who's being honest believes they just kick people out for no reason.

Search this Thread