Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old o.s.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 AM
jonnie walker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question old o.s.

i just came into possession of an old O.S. 2 stroke engine. the engine has an approximate bore of .910 and stroke of .945. this engine has point ignition, and the ignition coil is missing along with a broken spark plug. there is what appears to be a stattic suppresser wirred to a ground wire with only japanese writing on it. i contacted the tech dept. at O.S. and they suggested i contact this organization. can anyone help with info on this engine? the engine also has a heavy brass "V" pulley mounted on the crankshaft stamped O.S..
Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnie walker
i just came into possession of an old O.S. 2 stroke engine. the engine has an approximate bore of .910 and stroke of .945. this engine has point ignition, and the ignition coil is missing along with a broken spark plug. there is what appears to be a stattic suppresser wirred to a ground wire with only japanese writing on it. i contacted the tech dept. at O.S. and they suggested i contact this organization. can anyone help with info on this engine? the engine also has a heavy brass "V" pulley mounted on the crankshaft stamped O.S..
Yes , your engine is one of OS' model boat engines , which I think predate their model airplane engines . If you want to learn more about your engine , a good start would be to do a search on the founder of OS , a gent by the name of Shigeo Ogawa . He is reported to have started building model boat engines sometime around 1936 , kinda cool to think of a model engine company having such longevity in a field where most of the old names are gone .

If you type "OS Engines History" into your search bar you will find all kinds of great reading about OS . PS , to answer a possible future question early , yes , your engine likely has some value depending on condition . No , not thousands but certainly a couple to few hundred , again depending on the all important condition variable ....
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the O.S. Timeline Gallery, which shows all O.S. Engine production:

http://www.osengines.com/history/ostimeline01.html

Here's the history of O.S.:

http://www.osengines.com/history.html
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM
jonnie walker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU BAX
I'm right handed and had surgery on my right hand yesterday so i'm a little slow typing today!
the web site was spot on, i have a 1947 type-12 engine. my engine looks new compared to the site photo. the online site photo does not show the long set screw with a knurled knob that is
used to adjust the ignition timing but everything else is exact. GREAT JOB