Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Coloring Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:35 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coloring Fuel

Now that fuel for glow engines has gone ballistic, I am tinkering with mixing my own fuel. I have a couple gallons of methanol which is absolutely clear. If I mix castor oil with it, it will still be almost clear. I don't know what color nitro is because I have not found any yet, but I do not want clear colored fuel. So my question is: can I put a little food coloring in the fuel? If n not, what can I color it with so that it will be readily visible in the lines?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 PM
perreback

Why not simply use a small amount of synthetic oil (AeroSave or Klotz, for instance)?

The nitro I have is coloured. I've had it for years, intending to mix my own fuel, but so far I've been too lazy to actually mix any. To my recollection, it's yellowish. If it changes colour, it has become chemically unstable and should not be used; at least, that's what it says on the 1-litre bottles I have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nitro.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	760.3 KB
ID:	1924080  

Last edited by perreback; 09-22-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 AM
topspin

A couple drops of green loctite will work...... Seriously, I don't know what type of colorant is used in glow fuel but since you are mixing it yourself you really don't need to color code it, you know what the mix ratio is.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 AM
JollyPopper

Color coding it was never the object. I simply wanted to color it so it would be readily visible in the fuel lines in order to see if there was a solid stream of fuel being delivered to the engine or if there were bubbles in it. If that were possible without coloring it, I would not worry about coloring it.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Info on fuel colorant/dye

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-f...l#post11003870

I would contact Wildcat or any other glow fuel provider. You could also talk to your local fuel distributor, they should have dye on hand for off road diesel.

Nitromethane is available from Torco on Amazon and eBay...

http://www.amazon.com/Torco-RC-100%2...p+nitromethane
Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM
perreback

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
. I simply wanted to color it so it would be readily visible in the fuel lines in order to see if there was a solid stream of fuel being delivered to the engine or if there were bubbles in it.
Are you sure you won't be able to see the bubbles even if the fuel is colourless?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:04 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by perreback
Are you sure you won't be able to see the bubbles even if the fuel is colourless?
I know I could.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 AM
JollyPopper

perreback, I don't know if I could see the bubbles if the fuel were colorless. If I could, then there is no problem. Maybe I should just draw some methanol through a line and see how visible it is.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Rafael23cc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with artificial coloring is that eventually it will stain the inside of your tank and fuel lines, making the initial intent useless. Instead of castor oil, use synthetic oils that already are colorful. I believe this option was posted above already.

Rafael
Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 AM
perreback

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
perreback, I don't know if I could see the bubbles if the fuel were colorless. If I could, then there is no problem. Maybe I should just draw some methanol through a line and see how visible it is.
I would imagine that the methanol will be pretty much invisible in the absence of bubbles, but I'm fairly sure you will see the bubbles if there are any. Think soda pop (e.g. Sprite) in a glass --- bubbles clearly visible. The same, I should think, will be true of bubbles in a fuel line.