Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Tired of Electric Option ONLY Reviews!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tired of Electric Option ONLY Reviews!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
I think we should all take up watching TV,, it's much safer

Ya think? http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8413016

Flew Glow for over 20 years and loved it. but I never thought they sounded like real aircraft.

Didn't like how the oil got all over my radios but you just accepted it.

First tried Electric over 12 years ago and it was abysmal. Barely enough power to fly.

Now its a different story, Brushless motors and Lipos have made Electrics every bit as powerful as Glow.

Nothing boring about my Stryker F27Q on a 65 C lipo and my Gaui X5 Heli on a 40 C 6S.

Now I fly only electric. Clean and quiet.

Lipos will puff and explode if you overload them and drain them too much. I limit my discharges to not less than 25 % of the battery by flying to a timer, that usually gives 5-6 minutes per battery which is enough, and using only 30C and up, Since doing that the batteries don't puff anymore and some of them have hundreds of cycles with no loss in capacity.

There is no right or wrong, Glow is cool, Electrics are cool. Fly what works for you.

EDIT: A few hours after this post, I was home and spent the afternoon flying electrics. including the Stryker and Gaui X5 mentioned above..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4jJWOzQ5mU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBef2s734E Plus a new little electric ultra micro.. - a ton of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPueUReUiDY

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-08-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Dang, you're right,, http://ispot.tv/a/7nCc
Old 10-07-2013, 12:23 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With the rash of quad copters incidents don't be surprised when the federal government bans our hobby. The blame will be placed where it lies and that is with electric propulsion. Now for those who say no it with the operator your partially correct however without the advent of electric propulsion this would have never occurred. Believe it or not our activities are viewed by the general public as boys with toys and nothing more.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:48 PM
jfetter

Originally Posted by loopdeeloop
I have seen LiPo fires and they are not pretty. I've seen a LiPo powered Yak go down in a corn field and rupture the battery. One cell touched off the next. Fire was controlled because the recommended fire extinguisher was handy but the battery was so hot 15 minutes later it was carried back on a shovel. Airplane was a total loss obviously. How about the houses and cars being burned up as batteries erupt while being charged. I know of one incident where the owner burned up as well. Ever been hit by someones airplane that started unexpectedly? I have. Can they be used safely? Certainly. Is it worth the risk? Only you can answer that. I've rid myself of the potential danger of two bigger electrics. Nitro and Gassers for me. Never had one of those try to run over me.
I've been flying LiPo's since 2005, I was an early adopter and like anything else, they require the user to learn how to use and care for them properly. Yes they can be used safe, thousands of flights over 8+ years without an incident, they are safe when handled safely and treated with respect, like many other products on the market and sold today...

Jack
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM
NoResults
My Feedback: (6)

I don't complain about the mess the fuel airplanes make and have no problem with any one who flies fuel. It is just more expensive. Not any good choices for planes that can take a crash. Quit whinning about electric and go fly.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Maximilionalpha

Your loud, noisy and messy, gasser's, are the reason that people are moving away from them. Not only do gasser's, damage ones hearing, but they also, are bad for the environment, as they tend to spit out more fuel, than they actually burn. I think that, your ranting because, you're probably the only person left at your club, flying those noisy things and everyone else is huddled together sipping tea and coffee, while their quiet electrics,, are humming above.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We all have our reasons for choosing what we fly, and we are indeed free to choose. It is a personal choice and I don't think there is a collective right answer. Only you yourself can decide what makes you happy. My friends fly electric and I still fly with them. But give me the noise and smell any day!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
Your loud, noisy and messy, gasser's, are the reason that people are moving away from them. Not only do gasser's, damage ones hearing, but they also, are bad for the environment, as they tend to spit out more fuel, than they actually burn. I think that, your ranting because, you're probably the only person left at your club, flying those noisy things and everyone else is huddled together sipping tea and coffee, while their quiet electrics,, are humming above.
There's dozens or more weed whackers running every day for every single gas airplane engine, probably hundreds to one.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 AM
swify

I went to watch pylon racing a couple years back at a one of the local fields, the day I was there they were flying electric racers. The planes go fast and all but just didn't have the same appeal to me as when some years back i used to go watch formula 1 pylon racing.

The sound of the formula engines after they were started up on the line and then having the needle valves adjusted until they were running at maximum rpm was always something that appealed to me and the sound as they flew past was nothing that an electric plane can duplicate. It was a total sensory experience that to me an electric powered plane just doesn't provide. I watched a clip of one of the electric jets running, sounded like my wife's vacuum cleaner.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swify
I went to watch pylon racing a couple years back at a one of the local fields, the day I was there they were flying electric racers. The planes go fast and all but just didn't have the same appeal to me as when some years back i used to go watch formula 1 pylon racing.

The sound of the formula engines after they were started up on the line and then having the needle valves adjusted until they were running at maximum rpm was always something that appealed to me and the sound as they flew past was nothing that an electric plane can duplicate. It was a total sensory experience that to me an electric powered plane just doesn't provide. I watched a clip of one of the electric jets running, sounded like my wife's vacuum cleaner.
+1 on the vacuum cleaner
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 AM
jimmac

I have a couple of small electrics but prefer glow and petrol powered planes, and until I am going on holiday and the guy in the drivers seat of my holiday plane says can you just wait till we load the lipo's real planes will have a combustion powered drive system. Unless the lipo's let go.
Now proceed to go and find my flack jacket and kevlar helmet.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 AM
falcon_56

I see a lot of people complaining about glow fuel prices. However, I have seen the prices of methanol dropping to $4/gallon. If you mix your own fuel, it will not be that much more expensive than gas if you factor the price of admission for gas engines.

I like the smell of glow fuel and the sound of an IC engine ripping the sky at 13,000+ RPMs. I also like the convenience and possibility to fly electric micros in my backyard.

I see a lot of guys at the fields (who are new to the hobby and fly electrics) stop by to check my glow plane expressing interest about it.

When I left the hobby on the 90s, I remember the rc car guys were totally switching to electrics. Today I see them going back to glow power.

Maybe will the be the same for airplane and some modelers will switch back to glow.

In any case, to each their own, electric, glow or gas. The beauty about this hobby is that flying is just a small part of it.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:15 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

Wow, look what I did! I guess I should have expected it though.

Oh, and just to mix it up some...

I do actually have some electric powered aircraft. I dig my indoor helis! I really like the new micro size planes too. I haven't flown my Eflite F4U for over a year...it's boring. Soon it will have an OS 25FP on the front though!!!

I am super glad to hear from some like minded folks though, and glad to hear from the electron eaters too...even if you are not up to the challenge to master engine tuning.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

And I'm sure the electric pilots that are cuddling and sipping tea have their pinkies properly extended.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:23 PM
[email protected]

i think your all wet
Old 10-10-2013, 03:42 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it have wings? If so, I'm all for it and could care less about what is powering it! That's my $.02 worth.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:32 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by tailskid
Does it have wings? If so, I'm all for it and could care less about what is powering it! That's my $.02 worth.
Yup, and I don't even have to see it have wings....quads and helis are fun to watch too. I'm fine with anything that flies, and the pilot having fun.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 AM
bchapman

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I guess it's the difference between driving a Toyota Prius and driving a Ford F-150. It's a completely different crowd! I think I'll stick with my gas burner though.

Last edited by bchapman; 10-11-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I don't care what someone prefers wether it be gas , glow or electric. But I do draw the line when someone tries to coerce me into flying what they think is best. I have seen Lipo fires and know of houses lost because of Lipos burning. They must be handled more carefully than the older nicads and NMH batteries. For me I like glow and gas and will stay with them. Real aircraft generally make engine sounds and so will My RC planes. I have nothing against electric, I just like the sound of a nice running engine! Fly what you like and have fun doing it.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:00 PM
scale only 4 me

What makes you guys think anyone is trying to make you change what you want to fly? Seems to be some unfounded hostility present in this thread, strange.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:55 PM
GerKonig

What makes you guys think anyone is trying to make you change what you want to fly? Seems to be some unfounded hostility present in this thread, strange.
Agreed, I do not give a rat's arse what other people fly (unless I can learn something), nor would I attempt to change anything they do. Life is too short, live your life, I have enough living mine...:-)

Gerry
Old 10-13-2013, 05:22 AM
K-Bob

A seemingly large percentage of electric power fliers seem to have some sort of need to convert all the troglodytes that use IC engines over to electric. They seem to be on an almost evangelical crusade at times.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:25 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You calling me a 'cave dweller'? Had to look that word up - too many letters for a Sunday <g>
Old 10-13-2013, 02:46 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
With the rash of quad copters incidents don't be surprised when the federal government bans our hobby. The blame will be placed where it lies and that is with electric propulsion. Now for those who say no it with the operator your partially correct however without the advent of electric propulsion this would have never occurred. Believe it or not our activities are viewed by the general public as boys with toys and nothing more.
The blame is with the operator, not the propulsion!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by K-Bob
A seemingly large percentage of electric power fliers seem to have some sort of need to convert all the troglodytes that use IC engines over to electric. They seem to be on an almost evangelical crusade at times.
I've never had that impression at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.