Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Some good first trainers??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Some good first trainers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:33 AM
cjbray11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some good first trainers??

I have flown control line for a long time and I want to fly some RC now. I see there are tons of trainers out there, what are some good starter planes. With so many choices and not much knowledge some suggestions and others experience would be helpful.
Thanks
CB
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's actually hard to go wrong these days with a trainer. As you look at them, youi'll noticed they are all very similar to each other, because it's been a solid 40 years since the hobby as a whole figured out what works. So pick any of the classics- the Sig Kadet series and LT-40, the Hobbico Nexstar and Avistar Elite (my personal favorite), the Hangar 9 Arrow, and many others. Buy from a reputable manufacturer (not Banana Hobby, Nitroplanes, or Hobby King) and you'll get a nice flying and durable plane to learn on. It will behoove you to get an instructor for at least your first few flights to avoid some of the newbie mistakes that can cause crashes, but with any of those planes you should get it together pretty quick.
Also, if you will have a look at the beginner forum, there is an extensive trainer list and there is also a website called www.gettingairborne.com that a couple of RCU veterans put together for RC beginners.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:06 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jester is absolutely right. Nuff said
Old 10-06-2013, 06:12 AM
cjbray11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanks guys! I live by the sig factory so a trip there is in order.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SIG line of stuff is great, the Kadet is a beauty. They are fantastic people to deal with as well, not a faceless company. Another thought if you want to go the foamy route, the EFlite Apprentice is a great first plane. 4 channel, plenty of power, lots of upgrade options, and the new software on the plane can help with learning to fly as well. Best advice though....have someone help you out. An instructor at a club, or someone with a buddy box is a great way to learn. Have fun and good luck.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The E-Flite Apprentice with SAFE is about as good as it gets for trainers right now.