Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

G26 Stand offs

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G26 Stand offs

I have an Ultra Stick Lite with a G26 mounted directly to the firewall. Don't get nervous, I added light ply and interior bracing to ensure it has the strength needed. I flew it a couple times before a dead stick led to a hard landing knocking the tail off when poor quality balsa on the mount came apart. Then the plane spent several years in the attic.
Fast forward to this year. I have reworked the tail, recovered the fuse and tail, and added a radio activated engine shut off to the already installed manual one. Next step is to re-balance after all the changes. Well, now, it takes about 6.5 oz additional to balance at the 4 1/8" point. I am thinking of adding 1/2" aluminum stand offs to move the motor out from the firewall thus requiring less weight.

I have just a couple questions.
1. The G26 has just 3 mounting screws. Will that be enough after the motor is moved forward?
2. Any recommended standoffs of about 1/2" that would fit the bill, or will just any do?

Last edited by hookedonrc; 10-06-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You know 6.5 ounces on that size ship is not such a big deal and maybe not even worth it. If you really can,t handle the idea is that small amount of ballast then if it were me (and I have done this on quite a few airplanes now) I would mount the flight battery pack all the way forward next to the engine. They run cooler there anyway. I,ve posted pics of this many times and you may have seen some of them or if you interested I will post some more.

John
Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 PM
hookedonrc

John, that is a good suggestion moving the battery forward. I am using a 6v nimh pack and it is just behind the CG. Moving it forward won't make all of the difference, but will reduce the amount I need. I don't have room in the fuse due to the tank, sitting right at the firewall. If you don't mind posting a few pics that would be great.

Last edited by hookedonrc; 10-06-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:28 PM
JohnBuckner

Actually moving the pack all the way forward ahead of the firewall will likely completely eliminate the need for the lead . Here are some I have done, It does require some fabrication of 1/8 ply carrier brackets which are secured to the firewall and not the engine mounts:

These are two different ones a Hellcat and a Corsair that are my carrier arrested landing ships.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 PM
hookedonrc

Thanks John, that's what I thought you meant and did consider doing it that. Only thing keeping me moving forward is the lack of a cowl on the stick
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM
JohnBuckner

Hi Hooked the weights ar all attached to the firewall not the cowlings so the lack of a cowl should be nindrance. I have a Goldberg Wildstick 120 which is very close to the Ultra Stick 120 Lite in most ways and it has an oversize engine too (Moki 180) and it needs no nose weight but if it did you can be sure I would have no problems getting the battery forward ahead of the cowl. But thats just me.

John
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 AM
hookedonrc

You are right John, moving the battery forward is not that difficult. What is frustrating is that I am going to have to pull the tank for the umpteenth time. I have a space behind the firewall, because the tank is back about 1.5 inches. This came from mounting the G26 right to the firewall which positioned the tank right on top of a bulkhead. I built a shelf where the tank rests with space in front to allow for the fuel line fittings. So it is just a matter of going back the reviewing the battery placement. I might even be able to place it on the side opposite the charge switch and vertically inside the fuse next to the tank. Just a matter of doing it without being lazy.....
Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
hookedonrc

This afternoon I pulled the tank and moved the battery forward to just short of the firewall. It sits against the fuse side wall the opposite side (right) from the charge switch. Haven't checked the balance yet, but it has too be close. Will post a pic of the reworked Ultra Stick when I get the wing back on and balanced.