The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Keeping Track of Small Parts

Old 10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
hookedonrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Keeping Track of Small Parts

For the umpteenth time, I dropped a very small screw for the retracts on my FW 190. It fell straight down and then "poing" it shot somewhere. I have spent hours on the floor crawling around looking for small parts that I let slip out of my hands. I would be interested in hearing your tips for keeping parts from disappearing on the garage floor. Well I am off to the garage to do more searching.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Art ARRO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use small magnetic trays, availble from Harbor Frieght, to set screws and other parts in while working on my models. I also use a telescoping wand with a magnetic tip, also from HF, to locate any screws that may have been dropped. You just sweep the wand across the shop floor and it is amazing what it picks up. Good luck in your search.

Art ARRO
Old 10-18-2013, 02:54 PM
red head

I've had good luck with a magnet also but lately I've found that if I take a flash light and lay it flat on the floor and then sort of sweep the beam around I've had real good luck. The biggest problem is getting down to watch the beam ( bad back & old age ). lol ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-18-2013, 04:22 PM
hookedonrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys, I do much the same as Red with the flashlight, but at 62, my knees don't enjoy crawling around. I don't use a magnetic tray, but do use old pill bottles to hold the small parts. When I start on a new plane, I mark the bottle by putting on a strip of masking tape with the name of the plane on it. The parts stay there until I am done, then I transfer them to a multi drawer parts cabinet I found after a hardware store redid all of their storage. My problem is when I am putting things together and they fly out of my hand.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Rob2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonrc View Post
For the umpteenth time, I dropped a very small screw for the retracts on my FW 190. It fell straight down and then "poing" it shot somewhere. I have spent hours on the floor crawling around looking for small parts that I let slip out of my hands. I would be interested in hearing your tips for keeping parts from disappearing on the garage floor. Well I am off to the garage to do more searching.
I feel your pain.. same thing happens many times during a Helicopter build..

I have several strategies... 1. using a magnetic wand - like this one - http://www.amazon.com/SmallToys-Bing.../dp/B003JSTVCI

Or you can get serious with one of these http://www.serpent-dove.com.au/artic..._up_magnets/16

But my fail safe method.. 2. I gather the 3 kids and say.. "who wants to earn $5?"

"me me me..." is the normal reply... I show them an identical item to the "lost" part..

Works every time.. they always find it.. There is nothing like the visual acuity of pre teen eyes.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Hemikiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To keep parts from bouncing, I've taken to placing an old towel on the work bench. Parts generally don't bounce off that and the fibers catch most parts that are "on the move".

If you're disassembling something with many small parts, work in a gallon size Ziplock bag.

Get a tool magnetizer / demagnetizer. They're less than $10 from Amazon. Keeps those pesky little screws firmly stuck to your driver.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha%C2%AE-Too...ool+magnetizer
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM
hookedonrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the magnetizer idea. I have a lot of small screwdrivers that could use the magnetization. The ones that are magnetized are too large for some of the small parts we get into.

Search this Thread