The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Remote weather station at field?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 PM
JPMacG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Remote weather station at field?

Today when I left the house to drive to our club field the wind was perfectly calm. When I arrived at the field 20 miles away the wind was gusting to 15 mph. This is not unusual. The wind condition at my home location is often different than the wind at the field.

I know that suitable remote weather systems are available for sale - using solar power and cell network data links. I'd like to hear from anyone who is using one at their field. What type of system do you have.... commercial product, home brew, etc.? What are the cell provider chargers like? Is the weather data useful for your club? What level of maintenance is required?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Hemikiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Around here, if you don't fly in the wind, you don't fly very much.

Accuweather and Weatherbug are usually fairly accurate.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 AM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMacG View Post
Today when I left the house to drive to our club field the wind was perfectly calm. When I arrived at the field 20 miles away the wind was gusting to 15 mph. This is not unusual. The wind condition at my home location is often different than the wind at the field.

I know that suitable remote weather systems are available for sale - using solar power and cell network data links. I'd like to hear from anyone who is using one at their field. What type of system do you have.... commercial product, home brew, etc.? What are the cell provider chargers like? Is the weather data useful for your club? What level of maintenance is required?
A really good idea, I had a small windsock ( a stick with a piece of string on it) and I placed it on our roof at home when I was a teenager.

I lived about 25 Kilometers from a fabulous slope soaring site. I knew when the string was pointing to the back of the house and more than 45 degrees from the vertical the slope was "on"

It was 100% accurate and every time I relied on it a drive to the slope paid off with a good session of flying.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 PM
TLH101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try the iWindsurf app for you moble. May already be a weather station very near your field.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:58 PM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I went through this already:
weather station

Search this Thread