Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

This Takes Danger To A New Level

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

This Takes Danger To A New Level

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:51 AM
Nitro-Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like the heat is just too much to deal with compaired to Turbine IMHO
Old 11-02-2013, 05:12 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Awful lot of pulse jet people out there. http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/
http://www.pulse-jets.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...om-1958-plans/
http://www.pulsejetengines.com/freepulsejetplans/

Had a homemade one given to me by the neighborhood tinkerer when I was 12. Built a hardwood stand for it and finally got it running. Didn't realize whole dammed thing turned cherry red set fire to the hardwood and when it burned enough the engine mounts loosened off and the thing left the stand and ended up inside Dads garage. Burned that sucker to the ground. Hid out at a friend’s place for 2 days to let my Dad cool off. Still got a butt whipping when I did go home.

Dennis
Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

And in the end he shows a plane flying with one,, didn't seem any louder than some gasers I have..
Old 11-02-2013, 05:16 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Nitro-Tom
Seems like the heat is just too much to deal with compaired to Turbine IMHO
When the engine shuts down, the tube cools almost immediately because of the very thin stainless steel.
Watch the video I posted...Post #150. Bruce dispels some of the fears of the uneducated posters in this thread.

Greg

Last edited by OldRookie; 11-02-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn

Had a homemade one given to me by the neighborhood tinkerer when I was 12. Built a hardwood stand for it and finally got it running. Didn't realize whole dammed thing turned cherry red set fire to the hardwood and when it burned enough the engine mounts loosened off and the thing left the stand and ended up inside Dads garage. Burned that sucker to the ground. Hid out at a friend’s place for 2 days to let my Dad cool off. Still got a butt whipping when I did go home.

Dennis
I hope like hell your joking , cause if not , your story is a prime example of why Topspin has a fear of these engines ! All through this thread I have been advocating the safe use of them , saying that a guy who follows standard acceptable operating conditions will cause no problems , and to see some story of a burnt down garage just flies in the face of any common sense message !

I STILL believe these engines can be used safely in the appropriate situation , by folks who take the time to educate themselves regarding proper use . I also believe that through either youthful exuberance or adult stupidity , some folks are gonna misuse EVERY technology we have available , from pulse jets all the way up to the real thing . I just Thank God that not every oops results in injury , and hope the folks learn well from their near misses .

Last edited by init4fun; 11-02-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:00 AM
OldRookie

Dennis
This story sounds like pure fiction.
How could you not notice that the wood was burning?
All of the screws burned through at the same time, letting the engine take off?
The engine would quit immediately when fuel was disconnected.
Do you have any idea how long a piece of wood would have to burn in order for it to loose enough of its strength for all screws to let go at the same time?
BS

If you don't like pulse jet engines, that is fine, but don't go making stories up about them.

Greg

Last edited by OldRookie; 11-02-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by init4fun
I hope like hell your joking , cause if not , your story is a prime example of why Topspin has a fear of these engines ! All through this thread I have been advocating the safe use of them , saying that a guy who follows standard acceptable operating conditions will cause no problems , and to see some story of a burnt down garage just flies in the face of any common sense message !

I STILL believe these engines can be used safely in the appropriate situation , by folks who take the time to educate themselves regarding proper use . I also believe that through either youthful exuberance or adult stupidity , some folks are gonna misuse EVERY technology we have available , from pulse jets all the way up to the real thing . I just Thank God that not every oops results in injury , and hope the folks learn well from their near misses .
It’s absolutely true I burnt the single car garage to the ground. Lost all the garden stuff, lawnmower and bicycles. Back then we were cooking our own rocket fuel from recipes we came across reading books in the library in that same garage. We attempted to rebuild old side shaft motors and had our fair share of spilling fuel all over the darn things while trying to start them by the garage. It had nothing to do with the pulse jet it was our being 12 years old and lack of foresight that a hardwood stanchion under the parts that got hot was inappropriate. 12 year old kids pointing it into the garage didn't help either if we had pointed it down the drive nothing would have happened. At some point in time you have to accept responsibility for your actions and quit blaming others or a manufacturer for your lack of common sense. I don’t think a nanny state where attempting to regulate everything someone finds dangerous or offensive is the answer.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 11-02-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you never got into this kind of sh## when you were 12 you haven't lived yet. I remember when me and (The Gang) were in one of us's basement when one guy put a 22 bullet on the floor and started pounding it with a hammer. It went off and must have ricochet around the cement walls a half a dozen times before it finally stopped. BS luck that it didn't hit anybody. When your 12 anything goes. I think I wore out my old mans Sam Brown belt.

Last edited by Flypaper 2; 11-02-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by OldRookie
This story sounds like pure fiction.
How could you not notice that the wood was burning?
All of the screws burned through at the same time, letting the engine take off?
The engine would quit immediately when fuel was disconnected.
Do you have any idea how long a piece of wood would have to burn in order for it to loose enough of its strength for all screws to let go at the same time?
BS

If you don't like pulse jet engines, that is fine, but don't go making stories up about them.

Greg
Greg too bad you have no idea what you’re talking about, you just assume and draw absurd conclusions. Ever actual run one of these up? Try it as a 12 year old and not knowing what to expect. Where do you get the idea I have something against these things? Again silly assumptions and absurd conclusions abound.
We used a single metal strap cut from an old hose clamp to hold it down to hardwood risers. The strap was looped over the tailpipe. To a 12 year old this seemed adequate. The fuel tank was on a metal platform attached to the combustion chamber with a valve to turn the gas off and on so it gravity fed the combustion chamber. This was the original owners design not ours. When the wood charred enough it worked its way free of the clamp and engine and what was left of the gas came off the stand and slid into the garage. Did we notice there was a problem? Yes we were to chicken to approach the darn thing and attempt to turn the shut off valve off. We had never heard it run before and it was between two houses and really loud with flames coming out the tail pipe and looking like it was ready to blow up. You go and turn the bloody thing off not me.

Dennis
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 AM
init4fun

[QUOTE=Propworn;11652723). At some point in time you have to accept responsibility for your actions and quit blaming others or a manufacturer for your lack of common sense. I don’t think a nanny state where attempting to regulate everything someone finds dangerous or offensive is the answer.

Dennis[/QUOTE]

Um , Excuse me Dennis , But I don't think you know who you are talkin to here . Either that , or you havnt bothered to read any of MY posts to this thread . You quote MY message of responsible use and then go off on some "nanny state" BS ???? Please show me ONE PLACE HERE THAT I HAVE ADVOCATED ANY REGULATION BEYOND THE GOOD COMMON SENSE GUIDELINES AS PRESENTED FROM THE AMA !!!!!!

Now , youve got a bug up your butt thinking everyone who wants to discuss these engines is looking for regulation , NOT SO !!!! and please go and read the thread BEFORE you go quoting someone and ascribing a position to them that they have NOT advocated !!!!!

PS , if SAFE USE AS DEFINED BY AMA is your idea of "nanny state" , then you really havnt read the AMA docs. at all , now have you ? Doc. 510 WRT pulsejets is nothing but COMMON SENSE , you know , of the sort that keeps garages from being burnt down .
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have never flown one, and your badmouthing it? You ever flown a control line "Cox" plane? You cant control throttle there either! Once it was running, you were fly'n!!! Don't be so quick to judge!!! Thats how bad things happen to people when a "knee jerk" reaction is placed in peoples minds!!! Obamacare ring a bell?
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 AM
init4fun

i hope like hell your joking , cause if not , your story is a prime example of why topspin has a fear of these engines ! All through this thread i have been advocating the safe use of them , saying that a guy who follows standard acceptable operating conditions will cause no problems , and to see some story of a burnt down garage just flies in the face of any common sense message !

I still believe these engines can be used safely in the appropriate situation , by folks who take the time to educate themselves regarding proper use . I also believe that through either youthful exuberance or adult stupidity , some folks are gonna misuse every technology we have available , from pulse jets all the way up to the real thing . I just thank god that not every oops results in injury , and hope the folks learn well from their near misses .
b u m p !!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by bogbeagle
I got one of those when I was ten years old.

Strapped it to a little model, lit the fuse and "Whoosh"... away it went.

I cannot tell you how excited I was.

I ran right up to that model, where it lay in the grass (I could run pretty fast, back then) and I grabbed it.

Unfortunately, I grabbed it by the engine.

The pain of those burns is still vivid decades later.

There's probably some sort of lesson in there. Somewhere.

To Pulsejets. They were used a bit in the '80s, here in England. Seen 'em fly at my own patch. Now outlawed for general use.

AFAIK, the noise is what has led to their fall from grace. Anyway, modern electrics and jets are much faster.

The pulsejet has novelty value, but little else.
Hey I still have some Jetex motors around some place. Talk about a memory jog.

Dennis
Old 11-02-2013, 07:00 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
And in the end he shows a plane flying with one,, didn't seem any louder than some gasers I have..
Then you have obviously never run one, they are so loud for something that size it defies description. It is painful to stand next to one without hearing protection, we did it as kids cause we didn't know any better.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 AM
OldRookie

Greg too bad you have no idea what you’re talking about, you just assume and draw absurd conclusions. Ever actual run one of these up? Try it as a 12 year old and not knowing what to expect. Where do you get the idea I have something against these things? Again silly assumptions and absurd conclusions abound.
We used a single metal strap cut from an old hose clamp to hold it down to hardwood risers. The strap was looped over the tailpipe. To a 12 year old this seemed adequate. The fuel tank was on a metal platform attached to the combustion chamber with a valve to turn the gas off and on so it gravity fed the combustion chamber. This was the original owners design not ours. When the wood charred enough it worked its way free of the clamp and engine and what was left of the gas came off the stand and slid into the garage. Did we notice there was a problem? Yes we were to chicken to approach the darn thing and attempt to turn the shut off valve off. We had never heard it run before and it was between two houses and really loud with flames coming out the tail pipe and looking like it was ready to blow up. You go and turn the bloody thing off not me.

Dennis

I own one of these engines, and have flown it in a plane. Yes I do know what I am talking about. Apparently more than you.
Where are my assumptions and absurd conclusions? Please point them out. I am just stating facts that disprove your story.
I also start and run this engine several times a year for demonstration purposes. This engine is mounted on a pine board and has had close to a hundred runs on it, and guess what, no burning or charring.
There may be some truth in your story, but I think you just got caught in a fib and are now backpedaling.

Greg
Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by topspin
Then you have obviously never run one, they are so loud for something that size it defies description. It is painful to stand next to one without hearing protection, we did it as kids cause we didn't know any better.
I never claimed to run one, and likely never will,, as my post infers,, it was based on watching and listening to the video.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by cublover
You have never flown one, and your badmouthing it? You ever flown a control line "Cox" plane? You cant control throttle there either! Once it was running, you were fly'n!!! Don't be so quick to judge!!! Thats how bad things happen to people when a "knee jerk" reaction is placed in peoples minds!!! Obamacare ring a bell?
Get real, I still have a box of .049s somewhere. We all flew COX CL stuff, my first glow powerd model was a COX .049 trainer wings were held on with rubber bands. Good thing too.

So I made a comment about the possibility of someone using a pulse jet in an unsafe manner and the next thing I know people start comming out of the wood work twisting it into some kind of conspiracy to ban them. Everyone take a deep breath and calm down.

If you decide to fly a Pulse Jet follow the AMA guidance and fly in a place where there are no noise restrictions. Here are the AMA guidelines for use of these engines: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/510-q.pdf

By the way, these are not hard to build for anyone who has reasonably good machining skills and the tools available. A good friend of mine made several and used razor blades to make the reed valves, they worked really well because the heat treated steel was just right.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:29 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just made a comment on your original post, sounded like you were bashing them all together. I was just say'n !!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Propworn

Um , Excuse me Dennis , But I don't think you know who you are talkin to here . Either that , or you havnt bothered to read any of MY posts to this thread . You quote MY message of responsible use and then go off on some "nanny state" BS ???? Please show me ONE PLACE HERE THAT I HAVE ADVOCATED ANY REGULATION BEYOND THE GOOD COMMON SENSE GUIDELINES AS PRESENTED FROM THE AMA !!!!!!

Now , youve got a bug up your butt thinking everyone who wants to discuss these engines is looking for regulation , NOT SO !!!! and please go and read the thread BEFORE you go quoting someone and ascribing a position to them that they have NOT advocated !!!!!

PS , if SAFE USE AS DEFINED BY AMA is your idea of "nanny state" , then you really havnt read the AMA docs. at all , now have you ? Doc. 510 WRT pulsejets is nothing but COMMON SENSE , you know , of the sort that keeps garages from being burnt down .
I think you need to read mine again. You questioned what I had written as if it were the actions of someone who should know better I was explaining these were the antics of a 12 year old not an adult who should know better. It also was my one and only experience with a pulse jet. You go on to make reference to Topspin's concern with these engines and I stick by my statement that you need to take some responsibility for your actions we don't need a nanny state where you just ban everything because someone has an issue with it. 12 year old kids lack the common sense most adults tend to have. Use some common sense and reread the post and the context it was intended.

Dennis
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by OldRookie
I own one of these engines, and have flown it in a plane. Yes I do know what I am talking about. Apparently more than you.
Where are my assumptions and absurd conclusions? Please point them out. I am just stating facts that disprove your story.
I also start and run this engine several times a year for demonstration purposes. This engine is mounted on a pine board and has had close to a hundred runs on it, and guess what, no burning or charring.
There may be some truth in your story, but I think you just got caught in a fib and are now backpedaling.

Greg
Your first basic assumption was it was held down with screws there is no mounting bracket for screws to attach to anything. There were two screws that held the strap to the sides of the wood riser they never burnt out or came off. Assumption 2 the stand never burnt only the risers did where they came in contact with the bottom of the tube. As far as how long it takes for wood to burn to the point of being loose not long at all. You assume we had experience enough to securely mount this thing we had no clue what so ever. You’re sucking wind dear fellow sounds like you lead a very sheltered life at 12 we were stinkers, always getting in over our heads to the frustration of most of the adults around us. It’s a good thing what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger or something like that. I could easily say I don't believe half the stuff you tell as its only words behind a keyboard same as everyone else. I don’t have any evidence to the contrary so I keep that to myself. Remember the old adage about better to keep ones opinions to one’s self and be thought the fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt!!!!!

Dennis
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 AM
OldRookie

Doesn't make much difference what you say in your defense.
Very unlikely.

Greg
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 AM
init4fun

I think you need to read mine again. You questioned what I had written as if it were the actions of someone who should know better I was explaining these were the antics of a 12 year old not an adult who should know better. It also was my one and only experience with a pulse jet. You go on to make reference to Topspin's concern with these engines and I stick by my statement that you need to take some responsibility for your actions we don't need a nanny state where you just ban everything because someone has an issue with it. 12 year old kids lack the common sense most adults tend to have. Use some common sense and reread the post and the context it was intended.

Dennis
Ok Dennis , let me frame it this way ;

"While I am against any regulation of pulsejets beyond the AMA guidelines , when I hear stories of 12 year old children burning down property with them , it makes it ALL too easy to understand where some folks' concern comes from" .

I hope this puts to rest ANY "nanny state" BS with regards to any of MY posts !

Now , as to whether your tale is true or not , that will need to be left up to you and Gregg to debate , as I've got a whole Sat. afternoon of things to get done .

Last edited by init4fun; 11-02-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awful lot of pulse jet people out there. http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/
http://www.pulse-jets.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...om-1958-plans/
http://www.pulsejetengines.com/freepulsejetplans/

Dennis
I believe it.
1.) A 12 year old kid would not know what to expect when these engines started.
2.) The kid(s) would have been freightened by the noise, the flames coming from the engine, and the engine & pipe beginning to glow.
3.) They would not have had a plan if anything were to have gone wrong. Most 12 year olds don't think of back-up, or safety plans.
4.) They would have been too afraid to go near it with all the noise, flames, and the white-hot glowing engine.
5.) They would have all been staring at it, or backing away from it in fear it may explode.
6.) Their only thought would have been, "Holly crap!!"
7.) They were already scared, so they would not go near it once the wood caught fire.
8.) Panic would have struck, and there would be no conception of time or how long anything was burning ... Once again, another "Holy crap!!" moment.
9.) The glowing steel would be hot enough to start a fire on contact once it left the stand. Maybe it hit boxes, rags, clothes, or anything that can easily burn.
10.) Once a fire starts, how are 12 year old kids expected to know what to do? They were probably in a state of panic, and had no idea of what to do next. Except run and scream!
11.) Maybe they didn't clamp the engine down well enough.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1936037   Click image for larger version

Name:	mqdefault.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1936038   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermojetrunning.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1936039  

Last edited by Airplanes400; 11-02-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Propworn

Ok Dennis , let me frame it this way ;

"While I am against any regulation of pulsejets beyond the AMA guidelines , when I hear stories of 12 year old children burning down property with them , it makes it ALL too easy to understand where some folks' concern comes from" .

I hope this puts to rest ANY "nanny state" BS with regards to any of MY posts !

Now , as to whether your tale is true or not , that will need to be left up to you and Gregg to debate , as I've got a whole Sat. afternoon of things to get done .
The Nanny state was in reference to the suggestion someone made to regulating them not your post I apologize if I was not clear. I don't believe that’s an answer. Those that purchase them will either use them responsibly (within AMA guidelines) or not, either way they have to accept responsibility for their actions. As far as Gwegg is concerned he’s entitled to his opinion after all everyone knows what they say about opinions.

Dennis
Old 11-02-2013, 11:11 AM
psb667

Alright ladies. Now that everyones gotten to express their need for a snickers bar, i dont suppose anyone has a link to a good v1 kit?
Also dont drink my beer while im doing this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.