Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ball Link Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ball Link Help

I am trying to install this ball link onto the 4-40 rod (threaded rod) and am having difficulty. The inside of the link is heavy nylon without any threads and to install the rod, you need to cut threads into the nylon as you put it on the rod. However, in the one that I did, the nylon is soft enough that when i was done the link itself was pretty roughed up. Sort of like trying to put bolts on with pliers rather than sockets. If the end was hexagon or similar, I could put a small open end wrench on it and it would stay pretty clean. However, it is round except for a couple of small protrusions on the side...which by the time I had attached the link, were completely gone. I also tried rubbing a bar of soap on the threads hoping to have the link go on easier. It worked somewhat, but not well enough.

Is there a tool that I should be using, or a different process? I am reluctant to try another until I have a better way...these things are not cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SUL562_Ball Link.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1934002  
Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure you've got a 4-40 link and a 4-40 rod? If I ever have that much difficulty, it's because I'm using the wrong sized combination (2mm as opposed to 4-40 or whatever). A quick way to tell: the 4-40 rod will have the threads rolled on (larger diameter at threads), whereas a metric rod will have the threads cut into the rod (outside diameter remains constant).

Usually soapy water is the lubricant, not just soap. It works well as a lubricant, and when the water evaporates the lubricity is reduced, thus the nut doesn't come off too easy. Dish soap works great - get your hands wet, just touch the tip where the soap comes out, rub fingers together and apply. You don't need much soap.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 AM
STUKA BARRY

That ball link looks pretty cheesy to me. You might want to look into the Du-Bro rod end links, they use a socket head screw that secures with a nyloc fastener that wont come loose and they are not expensive.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM
hookedonrc

garcfield...yes, they are 4-40 rods, the threads are rolled and are a hair larger than the rod itself. I will try the soapy water though, that might help. Also, I have ordered a 4-40 tap and will cut the threads in rather than have the rod do the thread creation. The only reason i am using this ball link is that i am using the Sullivan S559 an elevator splitter and need to use the ball link that is pictured...however, I think I will look at the dubro ones and see if I can take the best parts from each system.

What I can do is see if the Dubro link will snap over the ball portion enough to hold it in place. I can then use it to connect to the dual rod hook up yoke.

Here is a pic of the splitter.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sullivan 4-40 splitter.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1934112  

Last edited by hookedonrc; 10-28-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Better tight than loose I guess... I think you'll make it work and it should work fine.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 AM
hookedonrc

I will see if the tap will cut the threads in the link easier and without as much damage. If it does, then the splitter should do its job. I have the pushrod guides supported throughout the fuse from servo to control horn, so it should be ok.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

You can also take a Dremmel and cut a small relief on each side of the threads. This will turn the rod into a tap and will make it a little easier.

david