Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Fuselage Hangar


  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sammamish, WA
    Posts
    50
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

    Fuselage Hangar

    Hello all,

    Been trying to figure out how I can store the fuse's of all my aircraft in order to keep em off the garage floor due to the never ending fear of one of em getting stepped on. It appears that I may or may NOT have found a good solution. I was in home depot last weekend and I stumbled upon this sort rail type rack system where the rail is screwed into wall studs and then the hooks actually clip on to this rail, I thought this was a really kool idea, but now I'm not so sure which leads to my question, is there anyone that hangs their aircraft being 15+ lbs on the wall by its tail?....too much weight on the stab?....

    Thanks in advance


    Biker

  2. #2
    hookedonrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    2,798
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I do, but probably not that heavy. I have the clip rail system, but slightly modified. I built a "L" shaped shelf and then on the front facing, I added 3/4" dowels with pipe insulation to protect the planes finish. Give me to morrow to take a picture or two and I will post them. The thing I like about it is that the shelf can be moved up and down as necessary, and a couple of long brackets with the insulation can store the wings.
    Will add something clever and witty if I ever come up with something.

  3. #3
    scale only 4 me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Avon Lake, OH
    Posts
    8,281
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I hang them like this

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a6222132-38-a6206147-38-a6107359-72-DSCN1378.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	1936135
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

  4. #4
    hookedonrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    2,798
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here are the pics of my plane storage set up. I have also included one that I use for my parkflyers. The parkflyer rack looks crooked because it is. I just haven't glued it yet and the way it is built, I can always add more to the top if I want. Of course, eventually it will fall over... If you look underneath of the ultra stick lite in the 2nd picture, you can see where I bolted the shelf to the brackets. This keeps it from just sliding off and the brackets have holes in them already. And as you add different planes, you can move it up or down as needed. I had to do that when i put the Ultra Stick up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4033.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	1936277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4034.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	1936278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4035.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	1936279
    Last edited by hookedonrc; 11-03-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Will add something clever and witty if I ever come up with something.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sammamish, WA
    Posts
    50
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    VERY well done H!...I was thinking about something like that but with limited garage space (the kids ARE all outta the house finally) due to things still in the garage that shouldn't be, I decided to go this route with the "clip/rack" system...I was thinking about putting a hook near the nose of the heavier birds to take pressure off the tail, but not so much that the tail would disengage from its hook and fall...


    Quote Originally Posted by hookedonrc View Post
    Here are the pics of my plane storage set up. I have also included one that I use for my parkflyers. The parkflyer rack looks crooked because it is. I just haven't glued it yet and the way it is built, I can always add more to the top if I want. Of course, eventually it will fall over... If you look underneath of the ultra stick lite in the 2nd picture, you can see where I bolted the shelf to the brackets. This keeps it from just sliding off and the brackets have holes in them already. And as you add different planes, you can move it up or down as needed. I had to do that when i put the Ultra Stick up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4033.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	1936277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4034.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	1936278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4035.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	1936279

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sammamish, WA
    Posts
    50
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nice

    Quote Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
    i hang them like this

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a6222132-38-a6206147-38-a6107359-72-DSCN1378.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	1936135

  7. #7
    hookedonrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    2,798
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerboy53 View Post
    VERY well done H!...I was thinking about something like that but with limited garage space (the kids ARE all outta the house finally) due to things still in the garage that shouldn't be, I decided to go this route with the "clip/rack" system...I was thinking about putting a hook near the nose of the heavier birds to take pressure off the tail, but not so much that the tail would disengage from its hook and fall...
    Depending on the plane LG type, you could run a hook up from the landing gear on each side. Then instead of using wooded dowels like I did, use the PVC like on my foamy rack an elbow at the end with a section of pipe added and covered with pipe insulation. That should keep the tail in place. And you could use shorter hanging rods on the rack itself. I used long ones so that I can move the tail out away from the shelving if needed. It also lets me overlap the tails like you see in the pics.
    Will add something clever and witty if I ever come up with something.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 PM.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.