Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Model Airfields Database

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Powie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Airfields Database

HI @all.

I want to inform you of our started project here: http://www.ma-db.com

At this time we have over 9000 places in our database

Our Database can be used by our webpage or since last week with our Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.powie.madb

We are looking for a french translator at this time for a small help

Greetz from germany!!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Since a large number of our members are in the United States it would have been really nice if you had included that in your database. But when I go to select a county in the dropdown on your website there is no selection for "United States".

Ken
Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by RCKen
Since a large number of our members are in the United States it would have been really nice if you had included that in your database. But when I go to select a county in the dropdown on your website there is no selection for "United States".

Ken
Yes they have it there as Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vereinigte_Staaten

It is a German website so I guess that makes sense..

Australia is there as Australien..
Old 11-07-2013, 03:22 AM
Powie

yes, we would translate also the country names in the next version
Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Powie
Great work.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Well the "next" version doesn't do anything now. Sorry, but the product seems to need a little more work before rolling out to the public. While it may be obvious for you to see "Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika" and know that it means the USA, for those of us here that actually live in the USA we don't know, nor do we think, about how it's spelled in a different language.

Ken
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Powie

From now on it should be equal for the first start. Your home country is selected if you visit the site for the first time......
Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

US3585 is located in Grand Prairie, Texas, not Mansfield. Might as well get it right if it's going to be done.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by countilaw
US3585 is located in Grand Prairie, Texas, not Mansfield. Might as well get it right if it's going to be done.
I agree that they should have their information correct. I looked up my club and found this "Fort Sill LowtonAreaFunFlyers - Model Airfield"

All the information about my club is totally incorrect. The club name is spelled wrong, it's Lawton Area Fun Flyer Society. In addition, you mapped out the field location to an area that is now longer our flying field. you have mapped out our old location. I guess that since we moved it could be confusing, but we moved almost 7 years ago!!!! So I have no idea where you got your information from, but it's incorrect in many ways.

In all seriousness, a tool such as this could be a great asset to fellow flyers. But only if the data is correct. Sure, it's cool to say that you have thousands of clubs and fields mapped out, but if that data is incorrect and can't be trusted then it's of little to no use at all to anybody. Huge numbers in a database don't mean anything unless the data is accurate. I can understand some minor things like spelling and such being a bit off, but to miss our field location by 7 years is really not minor. And before anybody asks, yes we have the GPS coordinates of our field on file with the AMA and their website. I can go to the AMA website and find the correct information about our flying field and club in just a few short clicks, BTW, here it is - http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=820

Ken
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Powie

Originally Posted by RCKen
I agree that they should have their information correct. I looked up my club and found this "Fort Sill LowtonAreaFunFlyers - Model Airfield"

All the information about my club is totally incorrect. The club name is spelled wrong, it's Lawton Area Fun Flyer Society. In addition, you mapped out the field location to an area that is now longer our flying field. you have mapped out our old location. I guess that since we moved it could be confusing, but we moved almost 7 years ago!!!! So I have no idea where you got your information from, but it's incorrect in many ways.

In all seriousness, a tool such as this could be a great asset to fellow flyers. But only if the data is correct. Sure, it's cool to say that you have thousands of clubs and fields mapped out, but if that data is incorrect and can't be trusted then it's of little to no use at all to anybody. Huge numbers in a database don't mean anything unless the data is accurate. I can understand some minor things like spelling and such being a bit off, but to miss our field location by 7 years is really not minor. And before anybody asks, yes we have the GPS coordinates of our field on file with the AMA and their website. I can go to the AMA website and find the correct information about our flying field and club in just a few short clicks, BTW, here it is - http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=820

Ken
THX!

The main data for the map isn't created by me. We started updating many entries, but this will not to be done on some days and will require help from many people, because of this theres an option to post a note to ecah fild at the bottom of the details page.

Another thing for Arno, the founder of the datasets, ist that Google Earth, sometimes hasnt actual images of some areas and so sometimes informations arent perfect per feet...

as germans say: rom wan't build one one day.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really impressed that someone is actually doing this. I know it's probably taken a lot of work. I think anyone that checks their own field data page should update the wrong information and help get a correct and accurate data base published.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Welcome, Powie, and good job!

Our two local fields are accurately portrayed. I applaud your efforts. If just one person posted corrections for their field, it would be accurate in no time.

Really, Ken. Nice works too. You could have PM'd him your critique and corrections. Just sayin.....
Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Powie

Friends, we have made some work on our project in the last months.

Additionally we have added field types for water flying and Indoor places. But the best news maybee:

Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.powie.madb

iOS App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mode...ds/id892053206

And don't forget to like us @ FB https://www.facebook.com/modelairfields

Last edited by Powie; 08-29-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Rob2160

Friends, we have made some work on our project in the last months.

Additionally we have added field types for water flying and Indoor places. But the best news maybee:

Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.powie.madb

iOS App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mode...ds/id892053206
Thanks for your continued work on this, the apps looks good.

Last edited by Rob2160; 08-28-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:44 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

I started a project like this about 15 years ago. I had one of the first civilian GPS's allowed for the 'public' to purchase. I started taking coordinates of the RC fields I flew at so I could find them more easily. My work was in the GIS world for about 6 years which taught me and allowed me to use some pretty cool aerial imagery before Google Earth came out. Once GE came out I started a new file for it. I presently have over 2500 RC Club runways located along with a lot of other club information. I think RCKen is familar with my database. The only problem was I could never find anyone to build the interface to get the info out to the RC guys. I did supply an Excel file to those who wanted it and they could use it in the first Streets and Trips programs that came out before TomTom's and indash GPS's. You have to be very careful with your data and make sure you have QC'd it to make sure Club Names are correct and the Coordinates actually are where they belong. Most all of my Clubs are located in the U.S. although I do have an International section. I think RCKen knows about my project