Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Swap Meets, what to bring?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Swap Meets, what to bring?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swap Meets, what to bring?

What it worth your time to take to swap meets? There is always one person who wants that one thing, but barring some grail, what is worth taking? Everyone seems to try to get rid of Futaba G transmitters and half built kits, but they dont leave the tables. What would be the bottom and what would be too good to take?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's more about pricing than content at a swap-meet. People will buy trash if it's cheap enough, but won't overpay much for quality. Price what you have to move and you can sell it. If you have an attachment to it, you will price it too high. Might just as well not bring anything you don't really want to sell. Unless of course, you have a real desirable piece of "un-obtainium". Then you are in the drivers seat.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:49 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with swap meets is that everyone brings the crap in the box under the table they got at other swap meets.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:56 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the stuff that is junk, traded for under $5, its the new stuff that people want new prices for. With Ebay around, I dont know why someone would try to sell NIB anything that could be shipped cheap. There might be someone carrying $1500 in their pocket for a radial, but mostly not or at least a local one. Toledo and Perry are not normal meets.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Junk, would be the easy answer.

David
Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 AM
catspaw

If you want to sell a plane, complete with engine and servos, be willing to part it out (and put a sign on it to that effect). That means bring tools to take those things off.
So if you have a plane that you just don't fly anymore and want to get it out of the shop, this is the way to go. Bringing back an engine and servos takes up a lot less space than a whole plane, and you can always reuse or ebay them.

And yes, people tend to overprice things. It's too bad haggling is a lost art, but make a lower offer anyway.

Some years ago, a fellow had a giant telemaster kit for sale. This was before they brought the current giant teles back. He was asking $500 for it. I offered him $300, he said no. Later, when I saw him packing his stuff to leave, I offered him $300 again, and he said yes.

So do try to be flexible on prices, especially if you want to get rid of stuff. Leave the sentimental attachments at home.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

All good responses, very true. Bring a chair and snacks/drinks too.
I've bought boxes of tires, fuel tanks, half-rolls of film covering, etc., and use a fair amount. Recycling is good!
Some of the best deals never make it inside, they're closed in the parking lot.
With the present economy, be prepared for more sellers than buyers and price accordingly.
We had one fellow at our last meet who couldn't sell his 2- & 4-stroke engines, wound up giving them away!