Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72

  1. #1
    vasek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC
    Posts
    3,981
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

    Who is in charge here ?

    Ok guys, this is the last post 4 me regarding the "downgrades" on RCU. It's been done 2x since I've joined, and every time the site gets new face it's "uglier" than before (more problems). I just can't understand WHY is it so hard to make it functional & friendly. End of rant, done.

    Cheers V.
    Remember: Speed is life!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Beavercreek, OH
    Posts
    858
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    +1

  3. #3
    scale only 4 me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Avon Lake, OH
    Posts
    8,247
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

  4. #4
    tailskid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Tolleson, AZ
    Posts
    7,951
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ha Ha......
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

  5. #5
    Jetdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    6,947
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I think the site looks great and is working wonderfully. It looks and feels more modern, is intuitive to use, and has some pretty nice new features regarding posts and photos.

    So to whoever IS in charge here, Thanks, and Nice Job!
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

  6. #6
    vasek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC
    Posts
    3,981
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by gaRCfield View Post

    So to whoever IS in charge here, Thanks, and Nice Job!
    Remember: Speed is life!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,276
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I agree with Garfield, for the most part the site works great and is an improvement over the original. Different forums work a bit different depending on the programer who set them up but all seem to get the job done quite well, it just takes a bit of effort to learn the characteristics of each one. Some people just refuse to put forth much effort.

  8. #8
    vasek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC
    Posts
    3,981
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I agree with Garfield, for the most part the site works great and is an improvement over the original. Different forums work a bit different depending on the programer who set them up but all seem to get the job done quite well, it just takes a bit of effort to learn the characteristics of each one. Some people just refuse to put forth much effort.
    Are you talking about the disappearing pictures in the threads? Guess not. I'm talking about those problems...
    Remember: Speed is life!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Beavercreek, OH
    Posts
    858
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Pictures have disappeared; no notification when a subscribed thread has new entries; SEARCH is worthless, but then it always has been so no change there; marking a forum read doesn't have any effect; Better??? I don't think so. Something as basic as being notified when a subscribed thread has a new entry, even once a day, can't be worked out. Lousy....

  10. #10
    vasek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC
    Posts
    3,981
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    + there are million little things that make this site user "unfriendly" like when your looking @ a thread and you decide to "subscribe" it automatically redirects to to the first page of the thread.... why not stay @ the post where you decided to subscribe ?
    Lots of things make no sense here.
    Remember: Speed is life!

  11. #11
    vasek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC
    Posts
    3,981
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    more examples, this is a real bugger: check how it posts pictures! this is not mine, but seen this many times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post_081446.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	1941707  
    Remember: Speed is life!

  12. #12
    Moderator AMA 74894's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    1,115
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I suppose it's possible that one would need some knowledge of how to use a computer to post pictures properly...



    I mean, simple page formatting isn't rocket science...

    Personally, I'm happy that the site itself isn't down, and that you can actually post pictures. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beer110.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	1941851





    Last edited by RCKen; 12-03-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: removing questionable picture
    Jim Buzzeo AMA 74894
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #37
    Sig Brotherhood #95

  13. #13
    vasek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC
    Posts
    3,981
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by AMA 74894 View Post
    I suppose it's possible that one would need some knowledge of how to use a computer to post pictures properly...



    I mean, simple page formatting isn't rocket science...

    LOL all you really need is a "autofocus" on you camera then... really
    Last edited by RCKen; 12-03-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: removing questionable picture
    Remember: Speed is life!

  14. #14
    Moderator AMA 74894's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    1,115
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    off topic / not relevant posts have been removed. let's please keep it on topic and no bashing, OK?
    Jim Buzzeo AMA 74894
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #37
    Sig Brotherhood #95

  15. #15

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    692
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by AMA 74894 View Post
    off topic / not relevant posts have been removed. let's please keep it on topic and no bashing, OK?
    Really ? Off Topic ?? This whole THREAD is a bash thread , but I guess SOME bashing is OK , depending on the basher , huh Jim ???

    Early next week , I have a conference scheduled with IB to discuss this site and the problems one average user sees in it . THANK YOU for making the material I am about to present to them WRT capricious moderation SO easy to prove .

    This place IS a ghost town . IB is spending much $$ and still no increase , and in fact over a period of time a decrease in participation . There IS a reason for that . And they WANT to hear about it to attempt to salvage their investment .

    Now , best hurry and delete this post too , as we ALL know it's far to much for the innocent little bash thread ya got going on .
    Last edited by init4fun; 12-03-2013 at 08:05 AM.

  16. #16
    Moderator AMA 74894's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    1,115
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes.

    'nice pic'
    'That's your idea of a "nice" pic ?

    Explains a lot ....'

    'What does it explain? Are you mad or upset?'

    AND

    'nope'
    ARE off the topic of this thread.


    Fortunately, I'm in contact with IB on a daily basis also.
    Additionally threads are 'soft deleted' meaning the actual content is still retained.
    I've been on these boards for 12 years, I'm well aware there has been a decline in traffic and am certainly looking forward to helping turn that decline around.
    I don't think I've been unfair to any one user, so I'm not sure if you're directing your comments at me directly or not.
    If I'm part of the problem I'd be happy to leave, if that's what it takes to make RCU more relevant again.
    Jim Buzzeo AMA 74894
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #37
    Sig Brotherhood #95

  17. #17

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    692
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by AMA 74894 View Post
    I suppose it's possible that one would need some knowledge of how to use a computer to post pictures properly.......I mean, simple page formatting isn't rocket science...
    Yes Jim , everything here is hearts and flowers , and this that I've quoted isn't a personal attack on a member here by a moderator , one who SHOULD know better than to make such thinly veiled insults about a member's intelligence , right ?

    I have been asked by my contact at IB to have no further interaction with this site's custodial management while they take the time to look over the compiled data I have sent them . I will not be responding to this or any other contentious thread untill after their review has completed .

    PS , I find your photo of three young women sitting in a Bar to be wholly inappropriate for a model airplane website as well , but then again I guess we really DO moderate by who the poster is , rather than on the merits of the post itself . Meh ..

    Later ...

  18. #18
    lopflyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,472
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I personally like it better. I can't recall when was the last time it was down 500!, whereas before it was weekly
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

  19. #19
    RCU Forum Manager/Admin RCKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Posts
    25,628
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I am sorry that some are still having issues, but our tech team is working very hard to fix those problems. Yes I understand that some think it should have been all taken care of long before this, but there are many things going on here that play into this. The first and foremost reason is because of OLD RCU system that ran our site. The software that RCU used to on was actually an orphan. The company that wrote the software went out of business. The previous owners of RCU decided that they would stay with it an maintain the software themselves. Because of this RCU came a highly specialized piece of software. It is also because of reason why we couldn't simply stay with what we had. Since there was no product support or any development of the software there was no way that we could stay with what we had.

    The funny thing that many do not realize is that we would have been going through all of these issues regardless of who owned RCU because the previous owners were planning an upgrade to vBulletin themselves before they sold. So the pains we are going through would have happened no matter what.

    Quote Originally Posted by vasek View Post
    Are you talking about the disappearing pictures in the threads? Guess not. I'm talking about those problems...
    Our tech team has worked very hard to ensure that all of the pictures and attachments were migrated over. If there are pictures that are missing that should be here then please let me know so that I can give this to the tech so that they can try and restore them. I know that they have spent a lot of extra time in this process trying to make sure everything transferred over. But because of the shear size of RCU this becomes a daunting task. In just the attached images on RCU there are over 25 million pictures that needed to be transferred. Getting them all moved is a monumental task and some may have slipped through the cracks. We definitely want to fix any that might not have made it, so please let me know so I can pass it on.

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFlyer View Post
    Pictures have disappeared; no notification when a subscribed thread has new entries; SEARCH is worthless, but then it always has been so no change there; marking a forum read doesn't have any effect; Better??? I don't think so. Something as basic as being notified when a subscribed thread has a new entry, even once a day, can't be worked out. Lousy....
    The old RCU system had one of THE WORST search functions that I have ever seen. In fact, on the old system I didn't even use the search function because it was useless and when I needed to search RCU I used Google to search the system here. But since we are on vBulletin I have found that the search function in this system works much better. An ongoing task for IB is that they are still indexing the site for their search function, so it's possible that you searched early in that index before it got built up, and now it may work better. Also, if you click on the "Search" in yellow toolbar at the top right of the screen or the "search" in the top dropdown menus you may be going back to the old system search engine. Just down from the top a bit is the blue information bar for vBulletin and it has a search button in it. THis is the new search function and I have found that it's working very well. Give this a try and let me know if you are still having search issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
    Yes Jim , everything here is hearts and flowers , and this that I've quoted isn't a personal attack on a member here by a moderator , one who SHOULD know better than to make such thinly veiled insults about a member's intelligence , right ?
    This was not a personal attack by a moderator in any form. He was simply trying to point out that it's just a matter of formatting in how a picture displays. Could he have said it in a better manner?? Probably. But who here (myself included) hasn't said something the wrong way at some point in our lives?? Jim has already sent me an email apologizing because he was having a bad day and might have said the wrong thing. But once again, who here hasn't had a bad day at some point and said something that they shouldn't have?? That's just part of being human. But I have talked to JIm and I feel that he didn't mean anything bad by it. Believe me when I say that if I felt he was insulting to a member on purpose he wouldn't still be here as a Moderator. While many think that Moderators are immune I can assure you that is not the case. Moderators are constantly being reviewed and monitored by myself, the other Administrators, and IB and if a Moderator isn't doing right by the members then they are removed as a Moderator. It's just that simple. And I can assure you that more than one Moderator has been fired over the years since I've been Forum Manager because they weren't doing their job correctly.

    Jim has asked me if he should change his post and I have told him that for now to leave it. Why would I do this?? for the simple reason to show all of RCU that they is a review system here at RCU and that Moderators are held up to a standard and don't get to do anything they want to. Jim has agreed that a teaching lesson is a good thing here and understands what I'm doing here.

    Quote Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
    I have been asked by my contact at IB to have no further interaction with this site's custodial management while they take the time to look over the compiled data I have sent them . I will not be responding to this or any other contentious thread untill after their review has completed .
    I'm a little bit confused in that you say you are having no further interaction with us here yet you still post this message?? I understand that you have some complaints and I have been discussing these problems with the staff at IB myself so that they are aware of what's going on.

    Quote Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
    PS , I find your photo of three young women sitting in a Bar to be wholly inappropriate for a model airplane website as well , but then again I guess we really DO moderate by who the poster is , rather than on the merits of the post itself .
    Once again, the Moderators here do have to live up to the same standards that we ask our members to follow, there is no special treatment. I have removed the picture from Jim's post as it wasn't appropriate. I understand that you are upset at us because some of your posts were removed in another thread, but as I said in that thread your posts were removed because they don't comply with the RCU Community Rules. There was no personal bias and we weren't "picking on you". There were many posts removed from that thread besides yours and they were removed for the very same reasons as your's were.

    I hope that this helps answer everybody's questions here about what's going on. If not, please feel free to ask me anything and I will do everything within my power to answer your questions, and if I can't give you the answer I will get in touch with the people that have the answers and get them here for you.

    Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

  20. #20
    scale only 4 me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Avon Lake, OH
    Posts
    8,247
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ken, you have the patience of a Saint
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

  21. #21

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    692
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
    ken, you have the patience of a saint
    qftr

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Queensbury, NY
    Posts
    787
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Think you've got problems here with this site
    Then you should talk with the folks that are trying to get health insurance on " OBAMA CARE ".

  23. #23
    vasek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC
    Posts
    3,981
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ken, I've known you (here) for some years now, and you give excellent advice to everyone, including myself. I thank you for that. However, it's the "operational" problems that make this site frustrating... sometimes. I just wish it would get more "tidy" in here in the near future.

    Cheers, V.
    Remember: Speed is life!

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    pine bluffs, WY
    Posts
    470
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I think RCU is a very good thing for the hobby and I'll admit I am not computer wiz I tried putting pic on here too and never had any luck at all they must be stuck in space so I just leave it alone.
    keep your powder dry and pray the creeks dont rise.

  25. #25
    RCU Forum Manager/Admin RCKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Posts
    25,628
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by vasek View Post
    Ken, I've known you (here) for some years now, and you give excellent advice to everyone, including myself. I thank you for that. However, it's the "operational" problems that make this site frustrating... sometimes. I just wish it would get more "tidy" in here in the near future.

    Cheers, V.
    Yes, "tidy up" is on the list of things to do. But right now it's not on the top of the list. They are working on all of the "bigger" issues. Once they have those bigger issues fixed then they can work on cleaning up everything here. I know that sounds a bit quirky to go that route to get it all fixed, but considering the hurdles they have had to leap to get us where we are I'm glad they are doing it in a methodical manner!!!

    Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 PM.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.