Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Basic Information

Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM
elswagador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Information

Hello guys! I am doing a project where I gather research and assemble a remote control car. For the research bit, I was just wondering if you guys could be so nice as to help me with what are essential parts of remote control cars and what the role is of each part.

Transmitters
Receivers
Channels
Crystals
Speed Control
Motors
Transmission System
Suspension System
Servos
Batteries

It would really be a great help if you guys could help me get a better understanding of these parts. Please feel free to add in other vital parts of remote control cars that I might have missed out. Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elswagador
Hello guys! I am doing a project where I gather research and assemble a remote control car. For the research bit, I was just wondering if you guys could be so nice as to help me with what are essential parts of remote control cars and what the role is of each part.

Transmitters
Receivers
Channels
Crystals
Speed Control
Motors
Transmission System
Suspension System
Servos
Batteries

It would really be a great help if you guys could help me get a better understanding of these parts. Please feel free to add in other vital parts of remote control cars that I might have missed out. Thanks a bunch!
this is a VERY simplified version... please do be aware you've asked a VERY broad question, entire books have been written for each of your bullet points...
(imagine going to a computer hardware forum and asking 'what is a CPU, what is a hard drive, what is RAM, please provide explanations of these items' )

Transmitters (transmits the radio signals to the receiver.. one per vehicle required)
Receivers (the brain / heart of the electronics in the vehicle, receives the signals from the transmitter, sends those signals to the servos, also powers the servos)
Channels (multiple channels for multiple functions... one channel is used per function. functions include (for cars, one channel for throttle, one channel for steering) you would need at least a two channel transmitter and a two channel receiver)
Crystals (last century's technology, but still legal) internal to both the transmitter and the receiver... it determines the radio frequency of the transmitter and receiver's signal
Speed Control (used in vehicles with electric powered motors (in lieu of liquid fuel engines) is used in place of a servo, it controls the speed of the motor)
Motors (converts electrical energy into a rotating mechanical force)
Transmission System (mechanically transmits the motor's mechanical force to the drive wheels)
Suspension System (suspends the wheels below the chassis)
Servos (actuates anything that needs to move.. steering in particular. usually (but not always) requires one channel per servo)
Batteries (provides electrical power for the transmitter and for the vehicle's electrical system, including the motor on an electric powered vehicle.)