Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why not run two RXs?

Going to build a 30cc Ultimate. Futaba RXs have had a drastic price reduction of late. So instead of running pair of Y harness for the ailes. Why not run two RXs? I am thinking of useing a LifE battery pack that has two leads on it already. I understand that I will need an extra switch but is there another drawback I am not seeing? This seems like it would be an easy solution and I could even run one elev off of each RX and save a program mix.

Please give me any pro and cons that come to mind.

Thanks, David
    I never want to see a crash. But I don't want to miss one either.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Pro: redundancy, which is always good.

Cons: can't think of any.

I'm not a Futaba man, so I don't know if you can bind two receivers to the same model memory in a Futaba tx, but I would imagine it's possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks for the reply. One the futaba 10C that I use the radio does not bind to a specific model. For example if I turn the TX on and it is on the wrong model it will control whatever model is turned on. Just like an old 72mhz did. So you do have to be carefull about making sure the TX is on the right plane.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes, Futaba radios will do that. We have gone so far as to consider sitting a second airplane on the ground in front of a newbie and let him watch what the control surfaces are doing on the second plane while someone is flying the first plane. As long as both receivers are bound to a common transmitter, I see no reason that would not work.
    \"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is\"

Intolerance is not to be tolerated

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Friend of mine ran 2 receivers in his glider to avoid drilling that large hole in the fuselage for wing wiring...one in the fuse for elevator and rudder and a micro in the wing for ailerons/flaps that he powered by using copper strips on the wing and wing saddle as power busses.Worked great

ghost

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Ghost.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    As an FYI, even if a transmitter binds to a specific model, that doesn't prevent two receivers being bound to the same transmitter or model memory.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have six receivers bound to one TX. They are just in different AC

Quote Originally Posted by daveopam View Post
    Going to build a 30cc Ultimate. Futaba RXs have had a drastic price reduction of late. So instead of running pair of Y harness for the ailes. Why not run two RXs? I am thinking of useing a LifE battery pack that has two leads on it already. I understand that I will need an extra switch but is there another drawback I am not seeing? This seems like it would be an easy solution and I could even run one elev off of each RX and save a program mix.

Please give me any pro and cons that come to mind.

Thanks, David
    Hi David ,

I'm wondering what you ended up doing here , the 2 receivers or the Y harness ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The airframe is out of stock, but I am going to do two RXs. I just think it's a better set up and since the RXs are $40 each I don't see any down side.

David

Quote Originally Posted by daveopam View Post
    The airframe is out of stock, but I am going to do two RXs. I just think it's a better set up and since the RXs are $40 each I don't see any down side.

David

The two receivers is the way I'd have gone too , and that's why I was wondering what you decided to go with . Hope it gets back IN stock for ya soon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks. AW is supposed to give me an ETA this week.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have had lots of time to think about this since the airframe will not be available till March.

I do see a potential problem. I had planned on running Hitec digital servos and still do. But now I see the need for a servo programmer if I use two RXs. I am picky about how I set up my stuff. And I want all the servo arms 90 degrees to the servo case so that throw is exactly the same through the range of motion on matched surfaces. There is no way to do this in the radio if I have one half of the elev plugged into the same channel of two separate RXs. I could still use a mix and use channel 2 on one RX and channel 5 on the other but that takes away the advantage of two RXs. Same story on the AILEs. While having them perfectly in synch is not as critical on the AILEs I still could not adjust end points and centering from the top to bottom wing.

The short of it is, I am not sure this is the best solution unless I buy a programmer. I have more time to think about it but wanted to post these concerns for others that followed this.

Later, David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    mmm you COULD use aluminum servo arms... the type with a cinch bolt through them so you can minutely adjust them (you can make adjustments much smaller than the teeth on the output arm...) I'm picky that way too!
    of course for the cost of one set of servo arms you could probably just buy the programmer and be done with it
    Jim Buzzeo AMA 74894
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #37
    Sig Brotherhood #95

Post under construction
    Last edited by init4fun; 12-12-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nothing like over engineering a problem
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Quote Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
    Nothing like over engineering a problem
    But , , Isn't engineering it , , , , , supposed to be fun ?

I just figured , since a servo programmer was mentioned , I'd show the usual "weapon of choice" to give an idea of what he oughta be lookin for , in case he does go that route .

PS , God bless Engineers , they have given us Mechanics some REALLY good laughs over the years

Oh , and , forgot to add , I'm sorry to hear it won't be available till march ....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Not a bad idea Jim. But as you said the programmer would be less money and I have several other planes I could use it on. Of course the Y harness on the ailerons would still have the same set of issues but a simple mix would cure the elev issue.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Its better to have two separate batteries. Then one entire system can fail and the other will continue to work. Typically, with mixed surfaces, like elevator halves and ailerons, place one on each receiver. Then if one side fails, you still have the other half. A friend was letting someone fly his giant SBach 342 . The pilot said something feels weird. He landed and we learned that one receiver/battery had died. It sold me.
    ME: \"I need a good rate down to one three thousand\". EXPRESS: \"Roger, we\'\'re coming down like a Bonanza full of doctors\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thank you TAB. I agree with you that two batteries is more redundant. But for my situation on a30cc plane I just can't see it. If I go the one RX route I won't be running two batteries. So I will probably stick with one pack either way. But I do thank you for your input

thanks again, David