Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Amazon's delivery service"by drone" ?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Amazon's delivery service"by drone" ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is big pipe dreams! I work in the UAV industry and while the drones fly the laws for over site will take decades. The FAA is years late already on this and they can't keep track of thousands of known full scale planes how would they ever contril this is beyond my imagnation.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
My guess is it's just a gimic to take peoples attention away from the real issues regarding the government use of drones spying on all of us
Hi RaptureBoy,

I really don't think that the CEO of Amazon would risk his financial future by participating in some government "scheme" to put a "smiley face" on drones so that folks will accept them . I think the guy actually believes that this could be a viable method of package delivery . I just don't think he's quite thought through the weather aspect of his ambitious plan , and the devil is ALWAYS in the details ...
Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Watch any sci fi movie from the 60's and 70's that presents a future earth and the first thing you notice is nobody has cell phones. They couldn't even imagine what the future really held and same is true today.
Oh so wrong. It's amazing how many things today were in scifi movies 50 years ago. Star Trek had flip phones called communicators. Battlestar Galactica had voice recognition transcribers. Robots, Biological based computers. Flexible displays. Heck even Dick Tracy's wristwatch video phone is availabe today.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Personally I think it wont work and second I dont like the idea one damn bit.one day you will look up and wont see a clear blue sky.or one stops working and hits your prperty or a huma.maybe flyingat the field and flys over the pits.flyly 400 people remote control. No thank you.they already want you to be able to use cellphones above 10 thousand feet.i sat in paneras yesterday trying have a conversation but a freaking sales idiot was conducting service calls over our voices .soflying with people yakking Waymeans either have a no voice plane flight or dont fly.

Everyone cries about the govt invading your privacy but you cheer all these nonsense on.terrible.mark my word the damndroneswill wreck havoc on the hobby .
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM
dbateman
My Feedback: (31)

I'll stick with UPS and FedEx thank you. What a ridiculous idea!!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Ttowntoolman

I am sure if a drone is capable of delivering a bomb, dropping off a stupid package really should be a no-brainer. Just my 2 cents worth......
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Ttowntoolman
I am sure if a drone is capable of delivering a bomb, dropping off a stupid package really should be a no-brainer. Just my 2 cents worth......
While I agree with this in principle , in fact the drone delivering a warhead is far more akin to a "real" (larger sized) aircraft than the hobby grade equipment featured in the "delivery drone" news story .

(PS , While I do believe this would work in limited application , please see my post #21 in this thread for why I don't think it's anything close to widespread use)

Last edited by init4fun; 12-04-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Ttowntoolman

Originally Posted by init4fun
While I agree with this in principle , in fact the drone delivering a warhead is far more akin to a "real" (larger sized) aircraft than the hobby grade equipment featured in the "delivery drone" news story .
Good point!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 AM
aa1a
My Feedback: (4)

Why would I have it delivered when I could pick it up in my flying car?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

shoot the drones down
Old 12-04-2013, 12:35 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by [email protected]
shoot the drones down

Hi [email protected] ,

You DO realize that these drones are not going to be flying over your property looking for any backyard Pot growing operations , right ?

How could a simple delivery machine elicit such a fear response from someone who is supposed to be interested in Aviation ?

I have my weather related doubts as to if this could be economically viable or not , but , I just don't see the big threat of my neighbor's new cell phone or even next prescription refill coming from an airborne delivery vehicle rather than one which is pavement based ?

I think your call for gunfire is rather rash ......... "These are not the drones your looking for"
Old 12-04-2013, 12:42 PM
init4fun

Mistaken duplicate post , posted during a "500" server error . Please delete .

Last edited by init4fun; 12-04-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to many reasons why a drone delivery system will not work, that it is not even worth our time to discuss. But just to list one would be personal injury to people, children, pets, property, etc. The numerous large amounts of law suits would put the companies out of business.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:12 PM
[email protected]

drones are drones you might not know whats in the box they got with them
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure what the difference is between the delivery guy coming onto your property or a drone? You have given them permission to enter your property to deliver your package.

Everything comes in slowly. This may just take some pressure off an existing system that is overburdened. Too expensive to be practical? How much do they pay the human personnel that deliver now? UPS, FedX, USPS, are good paying jobs. The retirement issue is something killing the USPS right now, just like other big companies. Like GM for example. This would help in this area. They will just have to learn how to fix drones, or they will be out of a job! lol
Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Barcandson
My Feedback: (20)

I took a quick look at the numbers. Amazon said they were getting 300 orders a second during Cyber Monday -- admittedly a high-traffic period. The drone program was touted as making deliveries within 30 minutes. If you work that up, it means they will need about 500,000 aircraft to keep up, maybe double if you count round trip. Of course it's true that some RC modellers have that many derelict aircraft in their basements, and maybe they would let them go to Amazon on the cheap. But whatever they do must beat the UPS/USPS business model of about 10 to 15 bucks per delivery. But I still bet the biggest problem will be sabotage and capture. The kid knows where the thing will land in 30 minutes -- it's too easy.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

They do not have to jump in and deliver 100% of the packages. I bet even a small amount of deliveries could mean lightening the load on the whole. A certain amount of theft is to be expected. All of my packages for the most part are left on my door. That is why there is insurance. I do not share the pessimism.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barcandson
I took a quick look at the numbers. Amazon said they were getting 300 orders a second during Cyber Monday -- admittedly a high-traffic period. The drone program was touted as making deliveries within 30 minutes. If you work that up, it means they will need about 500,000 aircraft to keep up, maybe double if you count round trip. Of course it's true that some RC modellers have that many derelict aircraft in their basements, and maybe they would let them go to Amazon on the cheap. But whatever they do must beat the UPS/USPS business model of about 10 to 15 bucks per delivery. But I still bet the biggest problem will be sabotage and capture. The kid knows where the thing will land in 30 minutes -- it's too easy.
Put 4 video cams on the thing, transmitting back the video, and nobody will touch them....

Gerry
Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
They do not have to jump in and deliver 100% of the packages. I bet even a small amount of deliveries could mean lightening the load on the whole. A certain amount of theft is to be expected. All of my packages for the most part are left on my door. That is why there is insurance. I do not share the pessimism.
Same thing here. Once they mis-dlivered some furniture (office desk), and a neighbor got help to deliver it at my place. I guess it depends a lot where you live.

Gerry
Old 12-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GerKonig
SNIP

... Or in bad neighborhoods in Philadelphia. I can see mini drones delivering pot...
Gerry
WOW! A new business protection model! Actually I heard that is already being done in some locations. Protects both parties to the sale....or something like that.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:45 PM
init4fun

Sure you would know , because it would be delivering some product or other that you , yourself , had ordered on line to be delivered to you . Furthermore , If someone was going to send you something nefarious , do you really think the simple lack of a delivery drone would make them say "nevermind" ? I believe the fear of this is totally unfounded . Now the DOUBT of it's profitability , that is the real talking point , and not whether some bad guy is gonna send ya a big heapin box of used handkerchiefs ....

Last edited by init4fun; 12-04-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
WOW! A new business protection model! Actually I heard that is already being done in some locations. Protects both parties to the sale....or something like that.
Hi Jim ,

There was a News story late last week of someone using a remote controlled Helicopter to deliver 10 pounds of Tobacco over a prison wall , and four folks were arrested . Did you happen to see that report ?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Jim ,

There was a News story late last week of someone using a remote controlled Helicopter to deliver 10 pounds of Tobacco over a prison wall , and four folks were arrested . Did you happen to see that report ?
Yes and it was the beginning of a discussion between myself and a progressive "journalist" who insists that the Great War On Drugs is hurting America and is simply prohibition writ modern. He feels we should make them all legal and everyone will be fine and folks would stop taking risks that involve violence. I agree that the users will be fine, but I have yet to see anything in any of the discussions that protects the rest of the populist. Ever been around a stoner (or worse) who has lost it? I have and the only reason I can report about it is that I was able to distract him by noting that the barrel of his rifle was dirty.

Yeah, I plead guilty to being a stick in the mud and conservative.

Bad attitude #643
Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
GerKonig

Sure, let's run and buy more guns...! They are coming for us! Sound the alarm! Release the dogs! Open the moats! To the tinfoil hats everybody!

Actually, that is a great idea for a movie. A drone lands, when the homeowner opens the door, the drone shoots the guy and flies away. Now all left is write a story about this. Let's see how long it takes until you see my idea on TV:-) You heard it here first.

Gerry
Old 12-04-2013, 04:29 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Yes and it was the beginning of a discussion between myself and a progressive "journalist" who insists that the Great War On Drugs is hurting America and is simply prohibition writ modern. He feels we should make them all legal and everyone will be fine and folks would stop taking risks that involve violence. I agree that the users will be fine, but I have yet to see anything in any of the discussions that protects the rest of the populist. Ever been around a stoner (or worse) who has lost it? I have and the only reason I can report about it is that I was able to distract him by noting that the barrel of his rifle was dirty.

Yeah, I plead guilty to being a stick in the mud and conservative.

Bad attitude #643
Well, and have you been around a drunk with a weapon in his hands? There is nothing "great" in that stupid war (actually in any war)

Gerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.