Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Amazon's delivery service"by drone" ?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Amazon's delivery service"by drone" ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying is not going to happen. It's not going to happen nxt yr though
Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lopflyers
Yes my mind is open. What makes you think that a quad ( it means 4 motors) uses the same amount of energy per minute than your giant stick?
if you open your ears when you hear the ad he said this is happening next year.
bull$&@?, we have a little more know how of flying remote control than the general public. This is not happening anytime soon.
what reason Amazon have to do this? I don't know. But is a flat lie.
You misunderstand,, Next year they'll know the FAA regulations in order to decide to move forward or not, No way did he imply it would be operational next year
Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly planes and have no desire for quads but! I have a flying brother that flies quads. At first I was not a fan. But that has changed over time. Pretty impressive technology. They stated 5 yr projection on details and start date. Very curious to see how this one turns out.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:58 AM
flyalot
My Feedback: (63)

job for a out of work r/c pilot?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meet George Jetson, Jane his wife, daughter Judy, their boy Elroy......
Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abelard
Well, yes, they laughed at Wilbur and Orville, and they laughed at Robert Fulton -- but they laughed at Bozo the Clown too.
Not sure I get your point, Bozo the clown was a very successful character, we laughed with him and he laughed all the way to the bank. My point is that it is fine and healthy to be skeptical of claims, everything and every claim must be questioned. I think it is ridiculous to make claims of absolutes about the future as many have done in this thread, some even made absolute claims about todays technology without even knowing what it is, embarrassing themselves and probably don't even know it, the range of RC is only 2 miles! LOL! Even when we have drones flying over Iraq and other countries. I am always sceptical but stated I am optimistic about the technology, the most anyone can say to counter that is that they are sceptical about what they understand of the current technology today or technology not even thought of yet. Truth is, nobody knows what the future will bring, period. (not even you Raptureboy!)
Old 12-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Well, pot is legal in this state now, so it is no more nefarious than booze. I find it odd to bring in elicit substances into this discussion. People that want to break laws and deal drugs and deliver them with drones, or feed convicts tobacco, really do not have anything to do with this discussion. Those people do not care about laws, as they obviously are breaking them.

We are talking about a possible service that can and may be provided to us as consumers. I really do not see much down side. The postal union cannot complain about Sunday deliveries, because a machine is gonna do it. The Union will complain about a machine making deliveries mon-sat though. Own special interests are going to drive this debate, weather it is truly good or not.
You are right and I absolutely agree, we should totally ignore any potential illicit uses as not germane to any discussion ever that happens to involve technology.

In this case we also really should be putting kids, pets, and family members at risk of a drone prop strike. You know, those evil electric propellers that don't stop even when they have cut meat. Superb idea!

/end sarcasm
Old 12-05-2013, 12:30 PM
oliveDrab

Amazon is pushing for the USPS to deliver packages on Sunday as well. Seems that the need for delivering goods will continue to increase.

I have come to the conclusion that truly anything that we can imagine, we can create. I would like to see teleportation. That would be the best, sans fly! lol
I would like to see implementation of Nikolai Tesla's vision of beaming power through the air. Take down power lines, power towers, and just beam it through the air.

Last edited by oliveDrab; 12-05-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Nitro-Tom

Originally Posted by topspin
In the future there will be delivery drones capable of delivering large parcels like appliances. When that happens it will put the airlines out of business since people will just mail themselves to cool places for less than the cost of an airline ticket.
I am thinking all kinds of issues - Like RAIN :-)

This is a long way off - as slow as they can be making laws in the USA......

However I do see an emerging Economy here - most of us are already knowledgable in many ways with.....so that can't be a bad thing........right?
Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Nitro-Tom

Originally Posted by okdreamin
I fly planes and have no desire for quads but! I have a flying brother that flies quads. At first I was not a fan. But that has changed over time. Pretty impressive technology. They stated 5 yr projection on details and start date. Very curious to see how this one turns out.
+1

Or an out of work R/C Pilot with previous IT and Electronic Experience that can solder......

Drone "Squadron Leader" for UPS
Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM
abelard

"I would like to see implementation of Nikolai Tesla's vision of beaming power through the air. Take down power lines, power towers, and just beam it through the air."

I'd like to see world peace too...and they're equally likely.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 PM
abelard

I really do not see much down side..
You will if your dog is outside when your package arrives...
Old 12-05-2013, 03:00 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

When we all have flying cars . . .
Old 12-05-2013, 03:33 PM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by abelard
You will if your dog is outside when your package arrives...

Good point,,
But obviously this would be an Option to avoid a shipping fee if right for you, it wouldn't work for every customer, like those that live in condos or high rise appts for example. But might be right for some people
Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Here is the USPS answer to the Amazon drone delivery !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us-postal-service-response-to-amazon-drones.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1945064  
Old 12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Good point,,
But obviously this would be an Option to avoid a shipping fee if right for you, it wouldn't work for every customer, like those that live in condos or high rise appts for example. But might be right for some people
When have you ever seen the latest and greatest "neat idea" only tried for SOME people? If it good enough for Jones, it must be good enough for Smith.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Here is the USPS answer to the Amazon drone delivery !

Ah.. Technology...ain't it great?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:16 PM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
When have you ever seen the latest and greatest "neat idea" only tried for SOME people? If it good enough for Jones, it must be good enough for Smith.
If you can't see this type of delivery system having some limitations,, what can I say
Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 PM
okdreamin

RC range is only 2 Miles. Hate to disappoint you, but were not talking about rc here. We are talking about gps satellite controlled drones only limited by battery life and weight limits and bad weather.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:45 PM
I_Fly

Even the ultra technologically optimistic Popular Science magazine sees issues with the idea of drone delivery. They even reference the current line of site rules...

http://www.popsci.com/node/133830/?c...MzUwOTEwNDI0S0

I like the part where the pilot has to ride along in a convertible to "pilot" the drone. This just shows how little understanding most people have when it comes to the laws, technical, and other issues related to something like this.

They did get one thing correct. It's brining a whole lot of attention to the company at a key time for the business.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:58 PM
abelard

Originally Posted by I_Fly
It's brining a whole lot of attention to the company at a key time for the business.
...which is the whole point of the exercise. Consider:

How many times has the name "Amazon" entered your consciousness since holiday shopping started?
How many times would that have been if the "drone delivery" story hadn't happened?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 PM
jeffandrews
My Feedback: (4)

Devil's in the details boys, Do you think all the highline wires are in the data base. Your package will be hanging thirty feet in the air dangling like tennis shoes.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
If you can't see this type of delivery system having some limitations,, what can I say
Oh, I see lots of limitations given current capabilities but that was NOT the point. When have you ever tangled with a bureaucracy that was reasonable? Got health care? Or is that too aggressive an example?

One of the most pervasive things about any large scale system is the implementation limitations and how you explain them to someone who barely has a GED much less a college education. Those are the folks that will use this system and they will be making the "deliver this way or that" decision rather than by folks with as much intelligence as you or I. Oh, the other shoe is price/cost. Accountants like quarterly reports with positive numbers and non-drone delivery's will much more expensive very soon and that is why if it is good enough for Jones it is good enough for Smith will come from.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:08 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

No its not chicken little and the sky is falling, but the idea of delivery of a 5 pound package using coordinates with gps and remote control raise bigger concerns.your selling your home?the drone just passed over your prperty and took pictures of it for real estate puposes.

The famed papparazi just got their drones and got unfettered access to celebrities and anyone else they want to make a buck.

That annoying drone carrying a package may in fact be carrying something very nasty such a bomb or ricin.but how do you know? You dont.

Its planned that by 2020 there will be 30,000 unmanned domestic dones flying around.its estimated it create approx. 100,000 jobs and create a 90 billion a year indusrty.the applications for drones exceeds my current vision of their use.yes many of its intended consequences are safe and useful .but I have concerns .this president and likely those to come seem to have an unhealthy attachment to lethal drones.i wonder how many innonocent kids have been killed as collateral damage in afhganistan.as I said in another post what about the governments insatiable appetite for indiscriminate survelliance

There is no doubting that unmanned drones will be a new business.states are adopting restrictions of their own and it will be interesting to see if states rights upheld over federal rights for fighting domestic terror.

We have already fined one person that we know about 10 grand.one papparzi was ordered to ground a drone that was hovering above a private affair.issues of privacy will get more complicated regarding who actually controls the skies.

Yeah we scoff and make jokes about flying cars.we laugh at amazon and the proposed flying pony express which may or may not truly work as stated throughout all these posts. But there is a larger concern for me in terms of my right to privacy information , non consent for survelliance.finally what will the impact if any have on a hobby i have cherished over 3 decades.

I love to laugh and not try to take life too seriously but the onslaught of unmanned drones gives me time for pause and reflection.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 AM
okdreamin

Very nicely spoken Clouddancer 03

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.