Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Fire extinguisher for gassers?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fire extinguisher for gassers?

Old 12-09-2013, 03:24 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have fire extinguishers in all my cars. And a first aid kit. This should be the standard for every flying field, piece of mind for just a few bucks. And I am really not a safety nut...
The problem here is that your club rules you out for being the only gasser pilot. If you like the club and their members, suck it up and get a fire extinguisher. It's not fair, but you couldn't win that war. And it's really not a big deal if that's all they are asking for.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question How do U transport your Gasoline to the field?
Think about it carrying Gasoline in an enclosed vehicle is far more dangerous to U and your vehicle than when it is sitting alone in the pits where the fumes can be dispersed by the pervading winds. Besides every club that allows Jets or LiPoly batteries should have a class ABC Fire Extinguisher at the ready of at least 30 LBS. Clubs have had far more incidents with LiPoly battries than they have had incidents with gas. How many fires has your club had LiPolys? and why aren't they required to have Fire Extinguishers.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:06 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a fire extinguisher in my truck, one in my trailer, one in my shop, and a couple in the house. Irregardless of if and or when one is needed it is just sound insurance. They get replaced annually and I empty them and use the containers for other things, such as an engine exhaust canister.

In regards to the motorcycle helmet reference earlier, the one not wearing the helmet generally don't suffer from non use. It is the one's that love them and take care of their invalid bodies that are left after a crash with a head injury. Just go to the local hospital and ask a rehab nurse how much the families suffer the consequences.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:44 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Very normal Club requirement down here in Florida. I belong to 4 Clubs flying both turbines and gas engine planes. All of the Clubs require the minimum ABC fire extinguisher for gas. CO2 is the common for jets, due to if you do have to use it, you don't want the interior that is salvageable covered in white powder. Two of the jet fields require both a minimum extinguisher, but all jet pilots have CO2 AND require the Jet pilot to also have a water extinguisher!!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

Time for a new prez! last time I checked we still live in a democracy. I have seen 2 lipo issues that could have been bad and no issues with gas. Sounds like he wants u gone. No low flybys. this is called a hobby for a reason. He would never last here. good luck!!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a fire on a lawnmower a cupple months ago I was shocked to see how in effective the ABC fire extinguishers were.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:03 PM
bullseye000

We keep an extinguisher and a first aid kit at out our field. We didn't target anyone in particular but we didn't want to lose our field because of a fire. I've never witnessed a fire from any wet fuel power plant at our field, but we have had several electrical fires in planes. Common sense that the club should provide them and not single out an individual to purchase an extinguisher for his choice of power plant only. I'd comply but during the first lipo fire I witnessed I wouldn't be too quick to pull out my extinguisher to help.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM
eindecker 3

Why would you be hesitant to help put out a lipo fire?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM
HoundDog

Cuas LIPOS is dangeruss boy stomp outs thems lipos fires wit a biggs rock. LOL
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the political and personal issues aside - - -
It's a good idea to have effective fire extinguishers available.
CO2 extinguishers are expensive and in this area, hard to come by.
Our club is at a rural site, with a grass field, and we have had such things as readily accessible
fire extinguishers periodically stolen.
I'd say that jet models (we have a few members flying them) are perhaps the most
serious hazard, due to the hot engine and the amount of fuel.
Lipo's can burn, but compared to the jets, the possible resulting fire is less likely.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:22 PM
byrne1157

I fly at a public field, and there are no requirements for fire extinguishers. But, since this issue has been brought to my attention, I am going to purchase a couple of them, and carry them with me. The principle of helping a fellow human being, plus helping a fellow flier far outweigh the sheer idiocy of the politics of what powers the aircraft. I fly glow, and electric. A couple of fellow fliers use gasoline to power their aircraft. They are friends of mine, fine fellows, indeed, and would provide the same help if the tables were turned. And even if Mr. "stomps out wid rocks" came to the field, and had a problem, we would help him, too.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pick your battles and this isn't one of them. Just buy a ten dollar extinguisher and have fun with your club mates.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by thailazer
Pick your battles and this isn't one of them. Just buy a ten dollar extinguisher and have fun with your club mates.
I agree with just buying a fire extinguisher and certainly it is good practice to keep some around. However from what the OP posted this does not seem to be an issue that will end with the purchase of a fire extinguisher. It appears much more deep rooted than that. It seems the OP has gone out of his way to be kind to this fellow.

There is some jealously or anger - something deeper in the prez that will continue to cause issues. A hateful angry man that is alone in life - think about that. You would think he would cherish having friends. What will it be next, "I don't like your hair cut, you need to get that changed if you are going to fly at this field"? I am sure much of it is his delivery of being an arrogant BS pusher, which seems more the fit.

It is a shame that in many clubs this is the type of individual that can wind up as a club president especially in a small club with mostly inactive members. It really makes you wonder about the integrity of the voters It takes a lot of work to be a club president and you have to weigh all the different types of people and keep good sound rules. It certainly is not a cake walk.

Yes, I would go ahead and get the extinguisher, yet my wager is that this is not over.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:39 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Well some clubs are deeply rooted in there ways. I was the first in my club to fly giant scale gassers and I met a lot of resistance with not being able to fly before 9:00 because my plane was loud, but yet the 8S jet screaming down the runway was not. Change comes slowly but it comes. We are in a city park so there are fire restrictions imposed by city ordinances. common cense is that all clubs need to have a fire plan in place, Lipos are very flammable and I have never seen a gasser catch fire on impact with the ground, many of electric planes have gone up in smoke on impact. Now at my field there are many gassers and it is growing, always nice being on the front side of a new trend.

I agree with most, if they say you need to have an extinguisher, get one and move on and fly, until the next restriction is imposed.

TB
Old 12-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

It's not a bad idea to have an extinguisher just in case, but it is not required for the gas or glow guys at our field. IMHO electric guys should carry them. In 10 years I have never seen a gasoline fire at my field but I have seen many scarey smoking LiPo battery packs.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:22 AM
tfarmer96

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot
At my recent club meeting I was basically singled out as the only guy flying gas motors and was told by the president that he is requiring fire extinguishers for gassers. Any one else out there have this rule in their club? I've been flying gas motors for years now, in many different areas and clubs and never had to deal with this.

Unfortunately, because of where I live (Long Island) I'm extremely limited in my club options. The truly good clubs are very difficult, if not impossible to get into. Between this new rule, the recent no low passes below 15 feet rule and a couple other issues, it's driving me out of the hobby. Shame some clubs have to ruin things.
Just go grab a cheap one at walmart. I love it when the guys who have no power anywhere else starts making rules.... They way I look at it in most cases I will still be flying my gas planes when they are incapacitated in a nursing home. Like some one said don't let the jerks get you down. Our club has that rule but they also provide 4 of them on the flight line. I also have one in my airplane trailer with a medical kit....but that was all my choice not some rule.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:34 AM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

In our club it is stated that anybody flying gassers have a fire extinguisher at their pit. It's in our By-laws cause we fly in a very dry place and far from a Fire department. Our club also has fire extinguishers at the field to use in case of a fire. We also have fine gallon buckets full of water stationed along both flight lines( We have two active flight lines ) and we have five gallon buckets full of sand for the Lipo fires. The BIG "what-If" will bit you in the butt when you least exspect it. As for the low passes, I think the old fart can't do them anymore and hates it when somebody else can do'em! Fast low passes are the excitement of this hobby, it would be a shame not to be able to do them. So, SHAME on your Prez.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 AM
hookedonrc

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
.......I've been around a long time and never saw a gasser related fire. Jets and electric yup but no gasser. Though I've never been hit by lightning or been bit by a snake and it happens quite frequently in Florida so never say never eh?
Wow...I didn't know snakes could drive...

Sorry Barracuda....it's just what I thought of when I read it.

Our club has "club" owned fire extinguishers and when and if they need refilling, the club foots the bill. All of our jet guys have their own as well, so we are well covered. Like others, I haven't seen any gas related fires, but we did have to call the local fire department when a jet went in. In Oklahoma, the state has burn bans during very dry parts of the year and our jet guys don't fly when they are in affect.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 AM
HoundDog

Hey keep your Little Whinny President happy get one and he'll have to find something to whine about and believe me he will. All these little Neapolitan types do. Watched our X vice presedent try to get his Big YS to pop on the tables under the Ramada. and when the present vice president said some thing he just ignored him and the preset vice president did not push the issue because they are all the "ANOINTED ONES" U can win so don't even try it will just make your life at the field miserable and his a joy messing with ya.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-10-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Yea, there was a club that banned gassers during the fire season in California, though the electric guys were still putting merrily along.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 AM
HoundDog

Just UTubed "RC air plane Fires" not one was because of gasoline all jets and lipoly's doesn't mean there aren't any just many more fires started by Jets and DUMB LECTRICS. Still a fire Extinguisher is a good idea. Especially if it's your stuff a burnnen'.

<---AJ AZ for 6 months retired and every day is a Saturday

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-10-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added <---AJ AZ
Old 12-10-2013, 08:45 AM
okdreamin

I like how you think!! Airplanes 400
Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM
okdreamin

You guys are all hung up on the fire extinguisher issue. im reading it as a club member being singled out. am I missing something. I carry an abc extinguisher and first responder kit in my truck always. not because im told to, but because its a good idea. I didn't read that prez hitler was requiring anybody else to carry extinguishers. and am I the only one that enjoys low flybys and touch and go practice. if you cant practice landings, to me that is a safety risk in itself.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by okdreamin
You guys are all hung up on the fire extinguisher issue. im reading it as a club member being singled out. am I missing something. I carry an abc extinguisher and first responder kit in my truck always. not because im told to, but because its a good idea. I didn't read that prez hitler was requiring anybody else to carry extinguishers. and am I the only one that enjoys low flybys and touch and go practice. if you cant practice landings, to me that is a safety risk in itself.
The difference between a low pass and a touch and go is the touch, but that starts the splitting hairs argument which is a looser and the OP needs a win-win deal.

The more I have been thinking about it the more convinced I am he (the prez) needs someone to take him on as a friend at the field and that includes his (social) warts! In fact I suspect that will go further to helping the entire club than almost any other action. Many club "officers" have the "job" because no one else will take it on because they don't want to do the work it takes to make the club 'happen'. This leads to burn out of the modeler targeted for the job, and I bet that is what has happened here. The longer the officer serves, the more of the club membership looses sight of what needs to be done because "Frank will take care of it" and so the prez (or other long term officer for that matter) begins the move from a leadership position to an autocratic ruling position. I think the OP has tried, but it missed maybe because it was personal rather than hobby. I am sure we all have personal friends that are not involved with the hobby and hobby friends we don't consider personal friends (like we don't invite them and their family to dinner as we might a personal friend) and a very few friends that are in both groups.

Food for thought from someone who has no clue what the heck I am talking about.

I have only been treasurer for 17 years and the rest of my club officers have only been in position for 10 years or so. We work very hard to avoid the autocratic mode but sometimes when a member insists on playing the dummy it does get challenging. There used to be a crowd of folks who did things like hovering a 35% bird over a formation of Air Force recruits and hovering over the shopping center across the freeway from our club, but for some reason they have gone elsewhere (after probably causing us to loose TWO flying fields in the same year) and the 'story ' making the rounds is that we ran them off. I don't know, and I really don't care because their actions were unsafe in that they endangered non involved folks, unfriendly, and against all rules of both the club and AMA.

The point above is that this prez may have a bad reputation for what are valid reasons, even though it seems he does drift pretty far from the issues normally found at the flying field with the mention of firearms. I don't know, I was not there, but our OP needs to find a way to penetrate the haze of "the thundering herd" management long time club officers tend to fall into.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 AM
hookedonrc

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
The longer the officer serves, the more of the club membership looses sight of what needs to be done because "Frank will take care of it" and so the prez (or other long term officer for that matter) begins the move from a leadership position to an autocratic ruling position.
Very true Jim, but there is another issue that needs to be considered. Are there other members in the club that won't step up and take on the issue. I was VP and President of a club and I got to where I hated to go to the field to fly. Every time I went some complainer would get me aside and try to get the board to do something about other flyers or issues. In some cases, I asked that the person come to a club meeting so they could bring it up and we discuss it as a group. My opinion is that the officers are there to ensure that everyone's opinion is heard and the group as a whole make decisions affecting the entire club. There were plenty of times where that same person would attend the meetings and sit on their behind not saying a word.

So we also need to be careful and paint all dictatorial leaders as the cause..although I am not citing this case as an example. I got so burned out after 2 years of hearing the complaining and political gamesmanship that I quit the hobby for 5 years. I am back now and enjoying it as much as ever, and attend meetings only occasionally and I will NEVER hold an office again...well maybe secretary. Then I can spend my time misquoting someone....only in print.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.