Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: VQ Models

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

VQ Models

Do any of you guys have any experience with VQ? I see Hobby Peeps has a Hurricane on sale for $100. I have never had a VQ so any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm subscribing to this thread, to see who answers and what about VQ planes.
    Dave Olson
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him GKChesterton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I own some VQ warbirds Me109, FW190 (60 size), Zero, Mig3, and Dago Red; I have owned the Hurricane (40 & 60 size), p51,and the Macci. All the planes fly pretty good some people use them locally for warbird racing ( putting large engines). I have 2 complaints about them first the retract wires bend very easy and second the covering has printed panel lines and if ca kicker touches it you lose the line and the paint.
    Remember if you don\'\'\'\'t have enough power nothing is going to save you, but if you have too much power just throttle back.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I just put together a Seagull Sea Fury and the first time out I had bent aileron wires and elevator wires. Like your retracts. Junk steel. Retract struts bend with the first not so smooth landing. They bent and stayed bent. LOL. I guess that's called low memory steel. I get confused. Anyway, I got some Hangar9 wires that stayed straight. That was fun. Plane flies great for a couple minutes then you're wondering why your trim just went all to hell.
    Most of the lies they tell about me aren't true.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    All their kits fly very well. Yes their landing gear can be average, but can be replaced. The covering is a like a printed plastic which you cannot iron, only way to get bubbles/ripples out is to very carefully use a heat gun. Also do not leave them out in the sun, it ripples and shrinks the covering. Their twin push rod set up on elevator needs to be re-enforced with extra collets and locktite. You also need to re-enforce the engine box, in some of their models its very poorly glued and weak. But as a stand off warbird they are not bad and make a good first warbird model. I'm currently building their P-39, I have had their Zero, Beaver, Hurricane and ME-109.
    Futaba 8FG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hey Herbs. Thanks for the info. So you have the Hurricane. You put some triangle stock in the engine box? How about stiffer wire for the eles? And I kind of worried about the covering. If you get a boo boo.What then?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi Templar, yes I put triangle stock on inside and outside of engine box. I used stiffer wire for the retracts but used supplied wire on the elevators. Yes the covering is a worry, but they do supply a sheet of covering matching colour of plane. But if a major repair best to use a neutral colour stick on covering and then paint it.
    Futaba 8FG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    And what kind of retracts are you using Herbs?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I should have been more clear on the retracts, I used the supplied retracts from VQ but purchased stronger after market push rods.
    Futaba 8FG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by templar94 View Post
    Do any of you guys have any experience with VQ? I see Hobby Peeps has a Hurricane on sale for $100. I have never had a VQ so any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
    I bought an ESM Bearcat w/retracts from VQ and I've been very happy with it. It was my first warbird. If I had the money I'd buy the ESM FW190 Dora 9. The ESM Dora 9 is at the top of my list of must-buy airplanes. The ESM F7F Tigercat is also appealing but I don't want to deal with a nosewheel.

Tomas at VQ was very helpful.
    "We’re retrieving the seed — then we’re done defending the humans."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Heard they once put out a CAP 10B - full build - kit that was pretty nice. 1.20 sz 80" lite wing loading. Been looking for one for a few years now.

T-man49 in Al
    Club Saito 723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes. The ESM stuff looks really good. I don't know if I can afford them right now. VQs are cheaper. Like I said the Hurricane is $100. I'm looking for a warbird that will take a Saito FA72. A 40 to 60 size.

I'm the kind of dummy that buys an engine then goes looking for a plane to fit it. LOL!
    Last edited by templar94; 12-18-2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: additional info

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi, does anyone have information on the VQ Piper Tri pacer? looks nice, but never owned a VQ arf.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by john43055 View Post
    Hi, does anyone have information on the VQ Piper Tri pacer? looks nice, but never owned a VQ arf.
    A friend had one, and gave it away before he assembled it. He didn't like the quality.

There is a thread, here. The author is detailing changes that he is making after comepletely stripping the model, and adding glue to the joints, where none was before

Found it. Piper Tri Pacer ARF

Start reading at post 31.
    Last edited by TomCrump; 12-22-2013 at 06:39 AM.
    Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Tom. I think that about does it. I had another plane from Hobby Peeps that was like the one the guy was describing. I should just stay away from stuff they sell.

VQ models

Herbs,what do you think about the P-39.It will be on sale after Jan.1.Looks very interesting,Thank you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Its not to bad, and I have just finished mine. Wasnt happy with the canopy had to paint it myself, that may have changed with later kits mine was a old one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	025.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	1954718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	026.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	1954719  
    Futaba 8FG