Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Turned off

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:19 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zacharyR
you guy's are both older ... you're really missing the point and sadly your both wrong .... i really think you both have NO clue about the upcoming generation

the appeal has changed it really has
since I fail to see what your point IS exactly, I'm having a difficult time figuring out what exactly I'm wrong about....

I don't think the appeal has changed... RC Airplanes were not appealing to most teenagers in 1973.
RC Airplanes are still not very appealing to teenagers in 2013..

I'm gonna make a statement that I think I'll get flamed for...
kids today are not very much different than they were 30 years ago.
neither are parents. parents will ALWAYS complain about the music 'kids these days' listen to.
parents will ALWAYS complain about the way 'kids these days' dress, wear their hair, etc.
I can guarantee you Zach, (assuming you eventually have kids) one day, you're gonna complain that the music your kid listens to is trash.
or that he wears his hair too long or too short. or that he needs to wear a BELT...

and it's a GOOD thing!! parents are NOT SUPPOSED to be a kid's best bud. they're supposed to be parents.

EDIT: one thing I DO want to be clear about... I'm not trying to cause an argument, or behave like a crabby old guy...
(I'm not one of those, but I certainly do know a couple)
Zach, I absolutely agree with you that Video games are FAR more popular than are RC airplanes, but I do not see them as 'the end of our hobby'

it may be the end of YOUR interest in RC, but it will not be the end of everyone's interest.

Last edited by AMA 74894; 12-30-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We learn something new every day, the longer we are in the hobby the less we know about the hobby and even our own family. Yep the young wanted change and the old guy has not a clue. Well I am one that will listen to both side and see right and wrong on both sides. May be the reason I don't see eye to eye with every one. Some people just can't stand some one standing up to them right or wrong'
I forgot to say I have a grandson 20, 3 boy's in their50's and I am over the hill.

Last edited by Live Wire; 12-30-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

This is a hobby that you enter to please yourself. It maters not if your on a budget or not, as long as what your flying pleases you. You may or may not be the best flyer in the club but you sure try to fly the wings of what you brung. You’re the guy with a constant smile on your face because you’re having fun. Others gravitate to your company because they know that the fun you’re having can be contagious if you bother to let it. You also share what you know willingly and help others when you are able never expecting something for it. Your love of the hobby is infectious and the fun you enjoy is shared by your friends and fellow flyers who allow themselves to be caught up in the moment.

There are others who constantly bi()ch about others, rules, differing age groups or disciplines. Ones who look with envy at what others can afford or skill levels they have learned. Yep no mater what the subject they have something negative to say unless they were the ones who brought the subject up. I ask why you stay in the hobby if everything makes you so unhappy.

Like someone else has said previously. I LOVE TO FLY (I also love to build) and I enjoy sharing what I think I know with anyone who is interested.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 12-30-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always said about this R/C hobby that it being so verried that "If U can't find something U like in this
Hobby then go buy a Sail Boat, Chase Lounge Chair a Sixpac of your favorite brew. Have a few brewskies take a nap and when U wake up WONDER WHERE the DAMN Boat went.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM
hookedonrc

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I've always said about this R/C hobby that it being so verried that "If U can't find something U like in this
Hobby then go buy a Sail Boat, Chase Lounge Chair a Sixpac of your favorite brew. Have a few brewskies take a nap and when U wake up WONDER WHERE the DAMN Boat went.
LOL.....that's what we did. Now I am back and the boat belongs to somebody else.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Live Wire

In this hobby you always have some one to help. After your dead they help your wife clean your shop!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 PM
ARUP

Originally Posted by Live Wire
How many people are leaving the hobby for just loosing interest or for some one that want things their way. Club problems that can not be cured and lack of interest from members. Am I the only one that see's this . Yes there is a change in the hobby , Is it the hobby or the people envolved.
I'll never get tired of this hobby because I do it for my own selfish reasons. Me... me... me... get it? Screw everybody else. I love airplanes and building models of them. There are some I like better than others. I belong to a couple of clubs. I will never get mixed up with club politics ever again. I help out at club events every now and then or at least offer. There are very nice people in these clubs and there are some not so nice. It is the same with life in general. Every club I have been involved has these qualities because these are the same qualities found in... ta da... real life! I like this hobby so much that if I cannot fly at a club then I can fly in my back yard. I made sure to earn an income to allow that condition to exist. This has to do with the saying that 'If you want sump'n bad enough...'.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just worry this phone/tech addiction will be life long for kids today. I have seen too many kids soft and spongy in the years when they should be hard bodied with endless stamina..

I look back at what my friends and I used to do for fun, and it would kill some of my nephews...They are safe though, at home in the dark, ALL of their free time.

One day I was at the hobby store, a kid comes in and says
"Do you sell the helicopter I can fly with my telephone?"
The hobby store employee says "No, those are pretty simple and won't do much..we do have some at similar prices that are much more responsive and come with a controller "
Well, if it doesn't work with a phone, its not interesting, or a helicopter evidently.. the kid just left..

This hobby will always draw those that are addicted to airplanes ...
Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 PM
CafeenMan

AMA 74894 - I do see one big difference between kids today and kids of my generation.

When I went to fly my models, kids who were around would come over to watch and ask questions. Now they don't usually even look up a second time.

I'm very convinced that true satisfaction in life comes from accomplishing something that was very difficult. There are a lot of very bored kids walking around because they aren't challenging themselves. Maybe they'll figure it out and maybe they won't. If they talk to me I'll explain whatever I know to them. If they don't ask about my planes that's fine. It's not our problem. They're making their choices of how they want to live.

I don't see what the big fuss is.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 AM
HoundDog

Grew up in the 50's and 60's Flew CL then and while in the Service 64-68. tried after the service an hung a sturling profile P-51 with a Fox 36X on my parents basement Wall. OH that basement Is where I built my First model a PT-19 CL about 48" ws. in 1958. Anyways Got married had 2 children and bought my parents (the house I grew up in) house. My son Was 7 Daughte 6 mo. at 9 Davy my son found that old Sterling P-51 with the Fox 36x all frozen up and tail Fethers broke and needed some covering & one set of lines and a handle. Long story short he got the Fox running we repaired the plane and headed for the only large open space I knew of the High School Parking lot. Well It became DIZZY TIME realfast good thing I didn't fill the tank. Well he learned to fly we joined the Circle master in Menomonee Falls, WI. Next Chapter :Walked into the local hhobby shop (ABC Now defunct) and low and be hold a trainer 60 K&B 61 and a Futaba 6 Channel Gold Radio all for $300. .Davy and I joined the Milwauke Flying Electrons and meat Mr. Jim Waigner, The most patient man in the World. 19 Dead sticks in 19 Take offs that is if it got off the ground. Replaced the motor with an ASP 61 We both learned to fly. Joined LakeLand R/C in 88 Davy turned 16 Found Girls And Cars. Gave up Flying then, Gave up Women at 21. Still does Cars though made a statement about his 68 Chevell Drag Car, and I Quote "I don't care what it Cost, It's paid for, i can Fix it, And it doesn't Whine"

One of the best Things Ever though was My daughter 7 years younger than her brother maybe 13 at the time was looking at some old VHS tapes and she kept rewinding this one sean of her brother about 9 years of age flying the P-51 behind the HS. But the best thing was her Statement "David Was never that Small". So it isn't always about the planes we Build/Fly or the Commrads we have .... When U get this old man It's about the Memories more than anything. At 70 hope I hope to live long enough to have memories of my Gran Children (Girl now 3) maybe learning to Flying too. Sorry to be so long winded. But I believe memories make us who we are.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:06 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
AMA 74894 - I do see one big difference between kids today and kids of my generation.

When I went to fly my models, kids who were around would come over to watch and ask questions. Now they don't usually even look up a second time.

I'm very convinced that true satisfaction in life comes from accomplishing something that was very difficult. There are a lot of very bored kids walking around because they aren't challenging themselves. Maybe they'll figure it out and maybe they won't. If they talk to me I'll explain whatever I know to them. If they don't ask about my planes that's fine. It's not our problem. They're making their choices of how they want to live.

I don't see what the big fuss is.
but you guys don't see the old dieing off and nothing new to replace those numbers ???

thats kinda a big fus is it not ?

your thread kinda states the facts .. the appeal just isnt there and " turned off " is whats in the eyes of up and commers be nice if we could change that bit .. but look at your attuide and the attuide of many .. it doesn't seem that's a option
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Live Wire

At one time a boy and a bicycle , Dad look what II can do. To day with a phone Dad can you do this. Yes the memories of the past, all that's left for some.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

True, kids are still kids, but technology definitely has changed the standards for what fun is. Planes were high tech and cool until the '80's, then they became common. And being at home was generally boring until video games came along. So yes, the hobby is declining, and it's because planes simply aren't as exciting now compared to other options as they used to be.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 AM
falcon_56

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
What turns me off is the dividing and judging,, why not just be happy so many people are enjoying a our great hobby?
+1

The minute you start worrying about what others are bringing to the field to fly it is time to try out a foamie, arf or scratch build a new plane.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Live Wire

I don't care what any one brings or fly. When there is a large some of money spent on the field each year and only use 2 times buy club events, no one seems to fly and I for one will not fly alone Yes special events by certain people is all you get. well after today my AMA is ended and the club requires it looks like a good year.
HAPPY NEW YEAR and keep them flying.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM
HoundDog

At The 2 main fields out of 5 I belong to, we have a few Children. (Yong Adults Almost) Several are learning and a couple are accomplished flyers ... (To the dismay of some O'L Guys.) Anyway a last Winter I made a statement about this 14 your old (6'-3") young man to his mother and dad that at 14 he only had a couple of years till he found Girls & Cars. Well he was here in AZ last oct when I got here and they left in November back To Canada. Well the came back for Christmas break and he's flying better than ever.One complete Slow Roll in a 60 size P-51 full length of the runway. Any he made a statement that just floored me because he remembered what I had quipped to his mom and dad ... his quote was" Mr. ****** , U were right them girls won't leave ya alone" Just found out today (although his parents are quite well off) he except for birthday and Christmas gifts he has supported his hobby with his own money he earns by working every summer. Now that a young man that's going to turn out better than most. So I got hope for some of them .... how many of U remember your Gran parents telling your parents that they buy way too much stuff for their children. cause they went through the Depression and had to make do. U and I pretty much turned out all right so far .... U just never know we may (have to) grow up some day.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Live Wire

You see these young kids with their talent and say If had his motor cycle in my day I would be dead. Just Dreaming.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:53 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

go to the desert and fly