Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby Lobby changing names

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby Lobby changing names

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby changing names

I received an email this morning from the Hobby Lobby mailing list, as I'm sure many out there have as well.

http://blog.hobbyexpress.com/uncateg...hobby-express/

But for those that aren't on their mailing list here is what the message said.

You have known Hobby-Lobby.com as the hobby store and manufacturer that has brought you radio control airplanes, helicopters, cars, boats, including our own brands Telemaster, eRC, Pilot 1, and more online and in-store. Well, today we announce a major step forward as we celebrate our great history of almost 50 years with a new name and website atwww.HobbyExpress.com.
As you may know, Hobby-Lobby.com International (www.hobby-lobby.com) and Hobby Lobby Craft Stores have co-existed and simultaneously used the brand “Hobby Lobby” amicably for more than 40 years. In recent years there has been growing confusion between our store and the Hobby Lobby Craft Stores, compounded with the advent of their online store and social media. Many of our customers have experienced this confusion, often asking questions, sharing compliments or complaints with the wrong company, and negatively impacting our customers’ experience.
“You can't help but appreciate the humor when I am introduced as ‘the CEO of Hobby Lobby’ and everyone tells me how much they love my stores,” said Mark Cleveland, CEO of Hobby-Lobby.com International (now HobbyExpress.com). “Often, they are talking about my store. More often though, confused customers were praising the craft store giant. Now, as my company prepares to celebrate our golden anniversary of our founding in 1964, we’re excited to continue to serve the tens of thousands of customers who have shopped our store by offering innovative hobby products and exemplary customer service as Hobby Express."
Mark Cleveland and David Green, CEO and founder of Hobby Lobby Craft Stores first met in person back in early 2012 when Mark toured the Oklahoma based Hobby Lobby Craft Stores headquarters and distribution center. During this meeting, the two discussed working more closely together in order to give their respective customers the best possible experience with their brands.
"We enthusiastically support their transition to the ‘Hobby Express’ brand name,” said David Green, CEO and founder of Hobby Lobby Craft Stores. “We admire their 50 years of exemplary customer service and are excited for the continued growth and success of Hobby Express.”
"This transition is the best outcome for both companies. Hobby Express is the same company as before, just with a new name as we move boldly into the future,” said Mark Cleveland, CEO. “We’ll be the same company with a new name as we move boldly into the future at www.HobbyExpress.com."
We are proud to continue offering our own brands (Telemaster, eRC, Pilot 1) online in addition to other great radio control airplanes, helicopters, cars, boats and hobby products at www.HobbyExpress.com.
Thanks for all your support!
Your HobbyExpress.com Team!
Ken
Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Smart,, I'm surprised they didn't change years ago with the other craft store confusion,, maybe the latest obamacare vs. hobby lobby issue in the news forced the change
Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Hokie Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the same e-mail. It looks to me like they're rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Hobby Lobby (now Hobby Express) has been in decline since Mark Cleveland bought it. Hobby Lobby went from an importer of high end European products to just another supplier of cheap Chinese ARFs.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:59 PM
scale only 4 me

people sell what people buy
Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM
slrdave
My Feedback: (1)

It's obvious that Cleveland wants to put as much distance between him and the Greens as possible: http://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/i...-lobby-boycott

As would I.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
people sell what people buy
It's really a shame too, I remember when you went to a gas station, back in a time when the attendant would check the oil, water, tire air pressure and wipe the windshield while he was putting .39 a gallon gas in your tank. Inside he would have a cigarette machine, soft drink machine, some oil, and anti-freeze.

Now they sit on their ***** behind a counter that has so much stuff on it you can hardly hand over the money for the gas YOU pumped.

Hobby Shops are getting the same way with all the junk they have on the shelves.

They tend to follow the rule, "if you sling enough mud on the fence, some of it will stick." They're attitude about the hobby industry is, If I stock enough junk somebody will buy something. So many hobby shops are looking more like toy stores than actual hobby shops.

Hobby Lobby used to be a good supplier for to me. But I haven't ordered anything from them in a long time.

I've always tried to support my local hobby shops, but sometimes you have to go to where the product is. The one place I liked the most was Circus Circus. Now that was a hobby shop.

Frank
Old 12-16-2013, 05:39 PM
scale only 4 me

About 20 years ago a very successful model train hobby shop in town (Culver City, CA) opened a general rc airplane.car etc. hobby shop across the street,,, this was great because it was close to my house,, about a year after they opened I go in there and now about 1/3 of the shop is plastic models,, when I asked about it the manager tells me "if it was up to me, this is all I would stock,, these things sell like crazy!!" A year later they closed the hobby shop.

Out LHSs have been dieing for a long time,, nothing new,, I stopped worrying about it a long time ago
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.39 gallon gas-Frank your old! Do you still drive a car?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by countilaw
It's really a shame too, I remember when you went to a gas station, back in a time when the attendant would check the oil, water, tire air pressure and wipe the windshield while he was putting .39 a gallon gas in your tank. Inside he would have a cigarette machine, soft drink machine, some oil, and anti-freeze.

Now they sit on their ***** behind a counter that has so much stuff on it you can hardly hand over the money for the gas YOU pumped.

Hobby Shops are getting the same way with all the junk they have on the shelves.

They tend to follow the rule, "if you sling enough mud on the fence, some of it will stick." They're attitude about the hobby industry is, If I stock enough junk somebody will buy something. So many hobby shops are looking more like toy stores than actual hobby shops.

Hobby Lobby used to be a good supplier for to me. But I haven't ordered anything from them in a long time.

I've always tried to support my local hobby shops, but sometimes you have to go to where the product is. The one place I liked the most was Circus Circus. Now that was a hobby shop.

Frank
remember when Gulf Stations had a Guarantee they would be at your car window within 10 seconds of hearing the 'DING' ?
They even had a motorized sign with the attendant's feet swirling around in circles...
Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 AM
scale only 4 me

FYI Jim,, young people don't talk about the good the ole days, they weren't there.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:31 PM
abelard

You done broke the code...;-)
Old 12-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Hobby Express is my local hobby shop. I will be sure not to praise Mr. Cleveland for the solid support I have been getting from the origial hobby express

Seriously though, it's a good change. I moved to Ohio and there are Hobby Lobby stores everywhere. I was excited to explore the RC section and was obviously disappointed to learn the truth.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
.39 gallon gas-Frank your old! Do you still drive a car?
I can remember when it was 0.22/gal
I still drive but I almost quit when it went to 0.40/gal.
I didn't think I could afford it
Old 01-01-2014, 07:13 AM
scale only 4 me

Remember going to the gas station, and the guy comes out and asks my Mom,, "filler up?",, she says "No, just put 2 bucks in",, that was almost half a tank
Old 01-01-2014, 08:12 AM
topspin

I worked at a Richfield (now ARCO) gas station one summer when I was in high school, that was 1967. We used to sell regular for 22 cents a gallon and high test for 26 cents a gallon. There was a Union 76 station across the street and when we had gas wars we would sell regular for 19 cents and high test for 23 cents. But a dollar was worth a lot more back then.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:07 PM
bhady

I'm 63 and used to by gas for 25.9, later for 29.9 for reg., and 31.9 for premium. you could fill up for $5.00 or just booze cruise on Sat. night for a buck and $5.00 for a case of beer with a friend or two .
bhady
Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
FYI Jim,, young people don't talk about the good the ole days, they weren't there.
Actually-I think we are in the "Good Ole Days"-if we look down the road at our future!!!

I really try to "LIVE" today and plan for tomorrow and back to the topic I think this will be a good move for Hobby Lobby