Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dummy Radial Question

I just received a dummy radial casting through Bob Dively and will be using it in an Aeroworks Cessna 195. The casting is ABS plastic and is fairly strong, but I am thinking of adding to its strength by pouring casting material into the hollows of the cylinder heads on the backside. Doing this will also provide attachment points around the circumference for mounting and add strength when I cut out the shape of the engine. I could use normal resin casting material, but it is made to release and I want the material to become part of the back side of the cylinder heads. Can anyone provide me with what material I should be using?
    Will add something clever and witty if I ever come up with something.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    5-minute epoxy & microbaloons?
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well, I have nothing against that, but have not used micro balloons. What is the benefit of adding them to the epoxy?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by hookedonrc View Post
    Well, I have nothing against that, but have not used micro balloons. What is the benefit of adding them to the epoxy?
    When the epoxy kicks over, the heat expands the beads. I think they are un-expanded styrofoam beads. 5-minute epoxy kicks over fast & makes more heat so it is prefered type.

What you end up with is an epoxy/foam that is light, but fairly tough. It will expand so one doesn't fill all the way W/the paste. The resulting over expansion is easy to sand.

I have built up wing fillets & such this way.

You can vary the density of the expanded foam. More beads = more expansion/less density.
    Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 01-10-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by hookedonrc View Post
    I just received a dummy radial casting through Bob Dively and will be using it in an Aeroworks Cessna 195. The casting is ABS plastic and is fairly strong, but I am thinking of adding to its strength by pouring casting material into the hollows of the cylinder heads on the backside. Doing this will also provide attachment points around the circumference for mounting and add strength when I cut out the shape of the engine. I could use normal resin casting material, but it is made to release and I want the material to become part of the back side of the cylinder heads. Can anyone provide me with what material I should be using?
    I installed a Dively 7 cylinder radial; in my Cessna Airmaster. I supplied additional strength and a mounting method, by the addition of a ring, cut to the inside radius of the cowl. The ring is apporimately 1" wide, and was glued to the back of the dummy radial's cylinder heads. I used Goop to attach the ring inside the cowl.

I didn't feel any more support was required. If you will require nose weight, pouring resin inside the cylinders is a good idea. Be careful what you use, though. Any resin that disperses heat, like epoxy, may deform your piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m_DSCF3136[1].jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	1956348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m_DSCF3200.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	394.7 KB 
ID:	1956349  
    Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Pushrods make a big difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m_DSCF3224.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	1956350  
    Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    LOL....I was wondering about the pushrods. I like the ring idea since I don't know what the initial balance will be. I have seen other installs where a disk is epoxied to the back. There a few spaces between the cylinder heads are left open to direct cooling over the engine. I may start with that then I can add the micro balloon mixture to each cylinder as required.