The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Robart style hinge istallation tool

Old 01-11-2014, 07:18 PM
ron a norman

Default Robart style hinge istallation tool

Guys, I don't know if anyone has thought of this before, but as you know you need to lube the hinge point to keep epoxy from glueing the hinge together. I know that there is a little heater being sold to heat up Vaseline so you can fold the hinge up and dunk the center into the warm goo. Me, being the cheapo of cheapo's figures there's got to an easy way to do the same thing without spending anything. I tried heating the lube with a heat gun, this works but must be constantly re-heated, so here's what I came up with. Take your covering iron, set it on low heat ( as low as it will go ) Chuck it up in your vise with the shoe facing up. Find an old METAL screw on lid from a can ( I used on from an old metal fuel can). Put your Vaseline in the lid and sit on the shoe of the covering tool. I dunk all of the hinges needed for the part I am working on and have them ready for installation. Works really well and is practically free.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM
K-Bob

Smart and easy!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron a norman View Post
Guys, I don't know if anyone has thought of this before, but as you know you need to lube the hinge point to keep epoxy from glueing the hinge together. I know that there is a little heater being sold to heat up Vaseline so you can fold the hinge up and dunk the center into the warm goo. Me, being the cheapo of cheapo's figures there's got to an easy way to do the same thing without spending anything. I tried heating the lube with a heat gun, this works but must be constantly re-heated, so here's what I came up with. Take your covering iron, set it on low heat ( as low as it will go ) Chuck it up in your vise with the shoe facing up. Find an old METAL screw on lid from a can ( I used on from an old metal fuel can). Put your Vaseline in the lid and sit on the shoe of the covering tool. I dunk all of the hinges needed for the part I am working on and have them ready for installation. Works really well and is practically free.
great idea! i do something similar.... i get a glass custard bowl and spoon out some vaseline in it and pop it in the microwave till it melts
Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 AM
stick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just put the Vaseline on the pivot point and then heat with a heat gun. liquefies and penetrates the hinge pin and pivot joint.

Search this Thread