Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA Selling Our Info!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:45 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P. Richards
Just remember guys Nation Wide Is On Your Side, sorry couldn't resist.

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Yes, but are you in good hands? (Allstate)

Could not resist either

Gerry
Old 01-17-2014, 11:33 AM
jdmachinery
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant help but report my family Home & 3 cars were insured by Nationwide, 1 car was totaled in a rear end collision by a uninsured, undocumented, no anything individual here in Chicagoland. Yes Chicago is a hi-risk area. The Nationwide collection experience was miserable, Initial low offer, requiring a real battle to be paid anything realistic. I doubt I will ever get involved with Nationwide again!!!!

Now my rant. The post office is broke. Cant help but think they could save any money; fuel & labor by NOT having to deliver all this junk mail we receive. Plus, we have to dispose of it & pay for the disposal / refuse costs. The paper junk mail is printed on originates from tress, maybe soma balsa wood trees. Our hobby for the most mart is wood model airplanes, so how about eliminating the junk mail for the sake of trees!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:45 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by jdmachinery
Cant help but report my family Home & 3 cars were insured by Nationwide, 1 car was totaled in a rear end collision by a uninsured, undocumented, no anything individual here in Chicagoland. Yes Chicago is a hi-risk area. The Nationwide collection experience was miserable, Initial low offer, requiring a real battle to be paid anything realistic. I doubt I will ever get involved with Nationwide again!!!!

Now my rant. The post office is broke. Cant help but think they could save any money; fuel & labor by NOT having to deliver all this junk mail we receive. Plus, we have to dispose of it & pay for the disposal / refuse costs. The paper junk mail is printed on originates from tress, maybe soma balsa wood trees. Our hobby for the most mart is wood model airplanes, so how about eliminating the junk mail for the sake of trees!
About the tree issue. Paper pulps is made of fast growing trees (soft wood). It is a entirely renewable source, and it creates a lot of jobs. I will start worrying when they start printing paper in China (our junk mail). Until then, I am OK...

Sorry to hear about your experience with Nationwide. In my life I had a couple of accidents with the cars, but I never had a bad experience with any company. I guess in part because non of the accidents were as bad as yours, or our reps are better in this area. I only had to deal with a life insurance company once in my life, and the experience was super there too. Maybe because it is a quite regulated industry.

You have always the resource of using a claim adjuster if you feel that they were unfair. And yes, you can report an insurance company.

The post office would be even worst broke if they get even less mail traffic:-) The day will come when the mailmen will fight over a couple of envelopes to be delivered... Come to think about it, it was thanks to the mail that commercial aviation got started:-)

Gerry
Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

The two boxes in my AMA account were already checked and I still got the unwanted solicitation. Do what I do throw it away without reading it.

On another subject is there anyway short of an act of congress to get the AMA to not send the Model Aviation magazine? A few years ago I was able to persuade the AMA to suspend my subscription for one year and then it was reinstated and after that they wouldn't stop sending it. I remember in the early 60's I was able to opt out of having the magazine sent to me. Any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
The two boxes in my AMA account were already checked and I still got the unwanted solicitation. Do what I do throw it away without reading it.

On another subject is there anyway short of an act of congress to get the AMA to not send the Model Aviation magazine? A few years ago I was able to persuade the AMA to suspend my subscription for one year and then it was reinstated and after that they wouldn't stop sending it. I remember in the early 60's I was able to opt out of having the magazine sent to me. Any suggestions?
Have it mailes do you local library.... Maybe they will mail it to another address, if you tell them it is the library.

Gerry
Old 01-17-2014, 05:50 PM
MartinC86bdn

As I do with all junk mail, take the envelop out, lick the glue, seal it and send them the empty envelop, remember the USPS needs the postage for revenue!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by MartinC86bdn
As I do with all junk mail, take the envelop out, lick the glue, seal it and send them the empty envelop, remember the USPS needs the postage for revenue!
very ingenious, I'm going to start doing that.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 PM
smeckert

There's a neat trick on Instructables Web site on how to stop junk mail . In the past I've put 7 pennies in the return envelope. The post office charges them a higher rate .
Old 01-19-2014, 02:56 PM
D.J. Erlenbach

I saw where one guy said, " YA BUT it says they may occasionally share info! BUT it also says if you don't want them to, " CHECK THE BOXES!!" My boxes were checked & I still got the garbage!!! When will it end?? I'm on the "Do Not Call List", but am still bombarded with telemarketers! Is no way to enforce it so they just do it anyway!! How about the first thing is to ask the telemarketer for their name, address, phone number. Companies name, address, & phone number so you can add it to your lawsuit you are working on!! Bet they would go away in a hurry!!
Old 01-19-2014, 03:30 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by D.J. Erlenbach
I saw where one guy said, " YA BUT it says they may occasionally share info! BUT it also says if you don't want them to, " CHECK THE BOXES!!" My boxes were checked & I still got the garbage!!! When will it end?? I'm on the "Do Not Call List", but am still bombarded with telemarketers! Is no way to enforce it so they just do it anyway!! How about the first thing is to ask the telemarketer for their name, address, phone number. Companies name, address, & phone number so you can add it to your lawsuit you are working on!! Bet they would go away in a hurry!!
Well, I am on the list, and while I do not get telemarketers, I DO get calls from non for profits, or political calls, or the "fund this or that" calls (and this includes the cops, the firefighters, and the Marines).

Gerry
Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys remember the Videos that were sent by 'AMA' a few years back? I saw one for sale at a swap shop for $5! (to those new to the hobby - the Video (or was that a CD?) or at least the first one -was FREE)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by tailskid
You guys remember the Videos that were sent by 'AMA' a few years back? I saw one for sale at a swap shop for $5! (to those new to the hobby - the Video (or was that a CD?) or at least the first one -was FREE)
Yeah then they kept sending them and expected you pay. They never asked me if I wanted them they just sent them.

I recently received two credit card offers, one through the ARRL (ham radio equivalent of the AMA), and also the NRA. These are unsolicited junk mail so the AMA is not the only organization doing this sort of thing. I guess I don't care since I just recycle them anyway but it would be nice if they would stick to the non-disclosure agreement when you renew membership.