Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA Selling Our Info!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:28 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AMA Selling Our Info!

I received a card today from Nationwide Insurance saying that they were "partnered" with the AMA "to bring special savings and protection." To me it is unacceptable that AMA sells my personal information to any business other than ones absolutely necessary for my membership. Unfortunately, I have to be an AMA member to belong to our club and fly at the field. Yes, I know some will prattle about all the wonderful things AMA does for us. I don't deny they help protect the hobby but that does not justify them selling our information to others.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:34 PM
warningshot

I received the same unwanted trash.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well look at the "Bright Side"-it gave you something to "B+TCH" about today!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone and there brother sells that kind of information, so just add the AMA to the list. I don't think it is proper, but what can we do, other than to vote out the people that approved it.....Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-14-2014, 06:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
I received a card today from Nationwide Insurance saying that they were "partnered" with the AMA "to bring special savings and protection." To me it is unacceptable that AMA sells my personal information to any business other than ones absolutely necessary for my membership. Unfortunately, I have to be an AMA member to belong to our club and fly at the field. Yes, I know some will prattle about all the wonderful things AMA does for us. I don't deny they help protect the hobby but that does not justify them selling our information to others.
While it does stink that this did happen, the solution to this issue is in your own control.

1. Go to the AMA website, www.modelaircraft.org
2. Click "Sign in", this will sign you into your personal account info
3. Click "Your account", this will take you to your personal account information.
4. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see 2 check box information box.

Please do not use my E-mail address for anything other than official AMA business.
and
Please do not use my mailing address for anything other than official AMA business.

The first option will keep the AMA from selling your e-mail address to outside parties, and the second option will keep the AMA from selling your physical mailing address to outside parties.

5. Select your options.
6. Click "Save".

It's quick and simple and will take only a few minutes. If you select these options and then your info is then used like it was here you will have some legal recourse since you did opt-out. However, I have talked with Dave Mathewson about this very issue and he says that the AMA is very serious about making sure that members who do opt-out don't wind up on a mailing list. So by opting out you should be good.

Hope this helps

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ama_opt_out.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1957804  
Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM
RC_Fanatic

Just to be sure, I went to my account. Both of those boxes were checked. I recall doing that when I set up my account.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Just to be sure, I went to my account. Both of those boxes were checked. I recall doing that when I set up my account.
If that is the case then you do have a leg to stand on here. I would contact the AMA directly and let them know what has happened, and that you aren't a happy camper. If you have opted-out and they still have sold your info then the AMA is most definitely in the wrong here.

Ken
Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by RCKen
If that is the case then you do have a leg to stand on here. I would contact the AMA directly and let them know what has happened, and that you aren't a happy camper. If you have opted-out and they still have sold your info then the AMA is most definitely in the wrong here.

Ken
Ken
I checked and mine are both checked also. Something not right in AMA.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sort of falls under the AMA official "business", since the AMA receives money from the company, and "sponsors" the add.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 AM
RC_Fanatic

Ken
I did send them a nasty-gram last evening.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 AM
oliveDrab

Opting out on the website is a good idea but the damage may already be done.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 AM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
Opting out on the website is a good idea but the damage may already be done.
I had opted out when I signed up on the web site initially. I do that as a matter of course for any website I join.

Last edited by RC_Fanatic; 01-15-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I had opted out when I signed up on the web site initially. I do that as a matter of course for any website I join.
Interesting . I renewed on line , checked that box , and I have not received any solicitations for insurance . And yet they do have my Email address , cause I get NOTAMs whenever some big shot is in town .Maybe they just figure I'm too old to worry about insurance

Last edited by init4fun; 01-15-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 AM
topspin

I also just renewed and I also checked the privacy boxes and yet I too received the mailer from Nationwide Insurance. I think what has happened is that Nationwide is the company that provides the group liability policy for all AMA members so they might already have our information. I'm speculating here but it would be nice to hear from the AMA as to why I occasionally receive advertisements for credit cards and insurance when I specifically asked not to.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM
toolmaker7341

Where have you been they have been selling our info for years. I do not log into the AMA web site because of all the spam that follows a visit. They have said no they don't but they lied. No visits no spam visit once and the spam continues for months.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by topspin
I also just renewed and I also checked the privacy boxes and yet I too received the mailer from Nationwide Insurance. I think what has happened is that Nationwide is the company that provides the group liability policy for all AMA members so they might already have our information. I'm speculating here but it would be nice to hear from the AMA as to why I occasionally receive advertisements for credit cards and insurance when I specifically asked not to.
I sent an email to Dave Mathewson this morning bringing this thread to his attention so that hopefully he can shed some light on what's going on. I know that they are right smack in the middle of the AMA Expo on the West Coast so I don't know when Dave will see my email, but hopefully he'll see is soon and jump in here and respond.

Ken
Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 AM
topspin

I sent an email to Dave Mathewson this morning bringing this thread to his attention so that hopefully he can shed some light on what's going on. I know that they are right smack in the middle of the AMA Expo on the West Coast so I don't know when Dave will see my email, but hopefully he'll see is soon and jump in here and respond.

Ken

Thanks Ken it would be nice to hear from him. I honestly don't think AMA is purposely doing anything underhanded here, I have been a member for a long time and they have always been above board on everything. A few mail outs are a nuisance but not worth getting too riled about since I probably get 20 or more a week from all sorts of places.

Last edited by topspin; 01-15-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM
GerKonig

What is going on! This is terrible! I got no stinkin' insurance offers from Nationwide... The AMA is selling information and also discriminating against us...

Gerry
Old 01-15-2014, 11:04 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tossed it in the garbage. Moved on. Done
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

It's the times, I go to my mailbox every day and 90% of the mail is ads that I trash w/o opening them, I get 20 emails a day 90% go to trash unopened! I get 3-4 phone calls and 4-5 texts everyday of unsolicited ads.
The marketing companies are infiltrating every aspect of your life.
cookies....... Ever heard of that? I was reading the NY Times online the other day and there it was, there was an ad from Hobby King. I doubt that it shows when a regular Joe is reading the NY Times, they know this computer has being at the Hobby King site.
There is no hiding anything anymore, marketers are going to find you weather AMA sells your info or not.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

This isn't good, but it sure isn't like the NSA taking emails and phone records....at least I can toss the results of the AMA info sending....
Old 01-15-2014, 12:03 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While it does stink that this did happen, the solution to this issue is in your own control.

1. Go to the AMA website, www.modelaircraft.org
2. Click "Sign in", this will sign you into your personal account info
3. Click "Your account", this will take you to your personal account information.
4. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see 2 check box information box.

Please do not use my E-mail address for anything other than official AMA business.
and
Please do not use my mailing address for anything other than official AMA business.

The first option will keep the AMA from selling your e-mail address to outside parties, and the second option will keep the AMA from selling your physical mailing address to outside parties.

5. Select your options.
6. Click "Save".

It's quick and simple and will take only a few minutes. If you select these options and then your info is then used like it was here you will have some legal recourse since you did opt-out. However, I have talked with Dave Mathewson about this very issue and he says that the AMA is very serious about making sure that members who do opt-out don't wind up on a mailing list. So by opting out you should be good.

Hope this helps

Ken
Hey Ken! I'm kinda with everyone else here - don't particularly care to have AMA passing out info (especially being that I was stationed at NSA 3 times while in the Air Force). However, on that options page is also the notation "E-mail has provided AMA with the opportunity to get information to our members in a timely cost-efficient manner. AMA on occassion (their mis-spelling, no mine)partners with reputable firms to promote products that will benefit both the member and the association. AMA does not trade or sell E-mail or mailing addresses. If you would prefer that we not include your name, please check the box(es) below." I read that mail from Nationwide - this is simply one of those partnerships AMA references. Really, I don't see that it's all that big a deal (don't flame on me guys, it's just My Humble Opinion).
Old 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love aviation-related materials that find their way into my mailbox......car insurance maybe not.....but maybe Nationwide will cover my planes from my 'dumb thumbs' So if AMA sends my info to a hobby-related business I'm OK with that - just offer some good discounts <g>.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe if all of us took the time to send this trash BACK to the AMA they would get the message?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:33 PM
hookedonrc

I got mine and promptly threw it out. I am not that happy about it, but if someone isn't selling it someone is trying to steal it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.