Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Have an Entire Airplane Package and Need Opinions on Value

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Have an Entire Airplane Package and Need Opinions on Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 PM
mike in ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Have an Entire Airplane Package and Need Opinions on Value

I was wondering if you would be willing to give me a little guidance on a R/C Airplane setup I have. Several years ago, I severely injured my back and have been stuck at home for years. I was going bonkers just watching TV, so I decided I would build an R/C Airplane to keep me busy, since I used to fly R/C gliders when I was much younger. I have always loved the war planes of WWII. My favorite being the F4U Corsair. So I bought a Hanger 9 F4U Corsair, 60 size ARF. It has a 5.525 foot wingspan and is 51” long. After I finished putting it together, I thought at some point, I would be able to go do things again when my back got better, so I bought a Saito FA100GK 4 stroke gold top engine for the plane, and a Futaba 7CAP/7CHP Radio and installed all the servos, retracts , fuel tank Etc.,and setup the mounting for the engine with a 3 blade prop. After setting up the engine mounting, I put the engine right back in its original box and only tried the radio to test the servos and returned it to the box. The engine has never even had fuel in it. I also bought a Hitec Master Caddy field box with a Hobbico deluxe power panel, electric fuel pump and all the accessories such as an electric prop starter, glow plug power unit and basically everything I would need to fly the plane. Well I still can’t do much of anything, and have had to have 8 back surgeries so far, and am going in for another test to see if I need a 9th surgery.

Long story short, it doesn’t make sense for me to keep all this basically new never used equipment sitting in boxes, and the plane hanging from the ceiling, if I am never going to be able to use them. So I was wondering if some of you might be able to tell me what you think a setup like that is worth.

I really feel this setup should be put to use by someone who can not only appreciate it, but use it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0213.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1959737   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0215.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1959738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0217.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1959739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0218.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1959740   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0223.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1959741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0224.JPG
Views:	195
ID:	1959742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0225.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1959743   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0227.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	1959744  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0321.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1959745   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0322.JPG
Views:	101
ID:	1959746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0324.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1959747  

Last edited by mike in ca; 01-19-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:15 AM
nk3t

You will be disappointed with the prices used equipment is bringing. The radio is old technology and few people want to use anything but 2.4. The engine is glow, and people are moving to gas or electric. Saito has a strong following, and you should be able to sell it in the classified section for 200+. The airplane is a problem, as shipment costs are exorbitant. You would be best to sell the airframe locally, placing it on consignment at a local hobby shop or selling at a local swap meet.

I would guess the total cost as a package at auction or a swap meet to be under 200. Splitting it up and selling it online would bring about 300.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

nk3t has got it just about right . The Saito is the prize of the bunch , and would bring a couple of hundred . The plane and radio would be tough sales for the mentioned reasons of shipping the plane without damage and the radio being not 2.4 will hurt it's marketability also . The general going rate is only 40 to 50% of new cost for unused items and is even worse for any used items (which thankfully you havn't got) . Bottom line , if you get a $400 cash offer on the whole package , that will be about the best it's gonna bring . I have , myself , approx $20K worth of this stuff taking up an entire spare bedroom in my house that I'd consider myself lucky to get $7K for , which is why I've never tried to sell any of it .

Got any young relatives that are into mechanical things ? Could be the start of a nice hobby to get someone off of the couch and away from the Xbox for a while ...........
Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I wouldnt try to sell it. It will just depress you at the price you have to let it go for. Give it to some kid that will appreciate it. You might foster the growth of a future astronaut.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:42 PM
mike in ca

Thanks guys. I figured even though the stuff has never been used, it was old technology. These days electronics change evey few months, so it is hard to keep up. I did give a really expensive R/C car to the grandkid, but he is in Washington State and I am in Calif. So the shipping issue would be a problem as you mentioned. The car arrived fine, but it is a midget compared to the plane. I may just sell the engine and see if anyone wants to buy the radio. I like the plane and since it is hanging from the ceiling, it is not in the way.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Someone is always looking for a deal. Put the whole thing in the RCUniverse "buy and sell" section and see what happens. There are allot of rc guys in Ca. If someone just wants the engine then make a deal with them. You might be surprised someone may want the whole thing. I would ask $350 for the package and accept $300. The only reason I say that is because the engine is new and never run. Most used planes come with used engines. Its a shame about the radio but the guys are right. There isn't going to be much interest in it.

Good Luck