Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cowling Question

I am at the point assembling my Pulse 125 where I need to modify the cowl for installation. I have successfully cut the cowl where it will fit over the DLE 20 and the muffler. However, when I have the muffler installed, I am unable to get the modified cowl over the pipes. (See pic) I think I have two options..... 1. Cut the cowl deeper on the muffler side to allow for muffler installation after I have the cowl in place on the plane. or.... 2. Cut a slice through the lower back part of the cowl to allow me to pull the two flaps open as it slides around the pipes. Once in place, I will then screw the two flaps in place on the lower part of the firewall to hold them.

I am not sure which method is the best and am looking for input from others that have faced this decision. If I use option 1, it will make the opening for the engine much larger than it is now, while option 2 will mean the strength of the single piece of fiberglass will be lost on the cowl back. I have attached some pics to help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4077.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	1959890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4078.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	1959891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4079.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	1959892
    Will add something clever and witty if I ever come up with something.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hey Hooked- I have used option two more than once. Worked fine for me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Mac, I did as suggested and it came out great. I have a little more finish work to as the cowl and muffler are touching in a couple of places. Once I get it I will add a pic or two......would do it now, but Misses says it's dinner time. She is very tolerant of my spending hours in the shop, but when she says let's eat, I don't stall.
    Will add something clever and witty if I ever come up with something.