Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Dog Ate My Homework!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to mention my natural reflex to prevent damage to items that fall off my bench by breaking their fall with my foot.

f16man - I never lose things on the floor. I work over a cement floor in my garage and keep it swept up so things are easy to find if I do drop them and so they don't get lost or kicked under something. Whenever I lose something while I'm sitting it's on the bench someplace - usually right in front of me and I just can't find it. A gutter wouldn't help. What would help is when I'm doing things is to deliberately think about what I'm doing instead of just letting my knife loose and moving along without thinking about where I just put it. When I make a conscious effort to think where I'm putting something I always find it when I want it. When I'm thinking about something else and toss something someplace (my keys, for example) then I can't find them.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:21 PM
D.J. Erlenbach

The vac idea is a good one!! Here is what you do! Put piece of maybe old T-shirt on the end of the hose. It will draw in just a bit. THEN go for it! All that little stuff will be captured right at the end of the hose!! Probably some dirt too, but you don't have to sift through all that fuzz & cat hair!!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:55 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like we have a lot of small gremlins that live under workbenches. At least my new part arrived in the mail yesterday. And yes, before you ask, I bought two of them. So I can lose one more and still get the fuel dot installed. Next up is installing a receiver, now if I lose that I am buying a hunting license for gremlins.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would you want to hunt a Gremlin ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	72gremlinX-1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1965482  
Old 02-04-2014, 03:35 PM
smeckert

Different size Zip locks and small post it's in different colors .
Colors are for area part goes ( fuel blue , gear red(they're NOT PINK) , yellow control rod ends. Write on post it what is in the bag .
Or buy a new one and it will show up , until you need it again.

Last edited by smeckert; 02-04-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Auto correct !
Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has brought back a few memories...like the sure fire way to prevent your x-acto knife, or pencil, small screws, etc. from rolling off the edge of your bench. All ya gotta do, is not notice that you'd somehow knocked over your new / almost full (un-capped) bottle of thin C A, and then go to bed. Next day...your tools, etc. are firmly glued down and not going anywhere! (that "lesson" will also remind you to check it occasionally, or use a "glue caddy" or at least put the cap on when you're done using it)
Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by jtotten
GerKonig - I have a third way of locating a lost part - Ask my wife to use a vacuum cleaner with an almost full dust bag to clean the area . In less than 30 sec I will hear the part rattling up the hose. Then its only a matter of sifting thru a couple of quarts of matted hair, dust, party crumbs, lint, and some things I can't begin to describe. She often finds stuff I didnt even know I lost - it plays out as " Nice to see you back from the field. When I was vacuuming, I heard something rattle up the hose. Are you missing a part?"
Genius Solutions from CafeenMan:

1) Don't have a wife.

2) If you just can't help yourself then don't let her clean.

3) If she just can't help herself then don't build anywhere she's allowed.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 PM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by hookedonrc
t I am buying a hunting license for gremlins.
Wasn't it established that a microwave is an excellent weapon against gremlins?
Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try using one of the wife's old nylons attached to the vacuum hose. if you work over a hard surface get a throw rug to catch the small parts and keep them from bouncing. Could have built 1/2 plane in the time spent looking for the pencil behind my ear or the glasses on my head.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 PM
CafeenMan

Unless your wife vacuums your head, the panty hose on the vacuum isn't going to help you find that pencil on your ear is it?
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
Genius Solutions from CafeenMan:

1) Don't have a wife.

2) If you just can't help yourself then don't let her clean.

3) If she just can't help herself then don't build anywhere she's allowed.
#1 - Not feasible - after 49 years of marriage and 48 years of RC planes, she has come to accept the situation.
#2 and 3. A confession - I am a packrat, and one of those people whose ambitions may exceed the time available. When I moved to the Chicago area in 82, the 2 hr commute each way plus family demands killed the flying time, but I still managed to build a plane or 2 till my retirement in 09. So I have a 27 year backlog of RC plane models. The basement is pretty full except for the laundry area which is off-limits . two bays of the 3 car garage (and the wall of the third) are filled with planes and supplies. My workbench (currently occupied with a 12 ft Telemaster and a GP Trainer 60) is in the garage.
While I can usually clear a building space, the subzero weather has ruled out the garage, and I had to move a lot of paint supplies into the basement, so there is only the living room left. She says I should start a thread "most cluttered work space ever" to see whether anyone has managed to generate a worse mess.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 PM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

correction - a plane or 2 A YEAR