Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whats wrong with Hobby King?

BUYER BEWARE of HOBBYKING in 2014. What in the world is wrong with Hobby King? Are they going under? I have placed numerous orders with HK for years but this last year I have had 2 major problems our of 3 orders. The most recent and serious involved placing an order for $114 USD worth of parts via their PayPal link and HK's refusal to acknowledge they were paid! Even worse, their dispute department was unable to acknowledge my request for review and 3 emails to their support department came back as "Undeliverable" and "Mailbox Full". Ultimately, their website listed my order as CANCELLED just a week after I ordered and paid for the parts. I am sure Paypal will make good on my order but it concerns me that HK is unable or unwilling to respond to my communications.

Earlier this year they held an order of a dozen parts for several weeks after I paid them because they had a $4 prop adapter on backorder. They then advised me that this prop adapter was no longer available ...which was painful since it was needed to keep the giant A1 Skyraider I bought from HK in the air. I lost the whole summer flying my A1 and ultimately paid $30 to another shop to have one made. After more weeks of pleading, they finally sent me my parts ...plus the mysterious prop adapter that was supposedly no longer available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    This is nothing new with HK, You could be a faithful customer, but sooner or later, THEY WILL GET YOU ! ! !
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There is a group in New York (Long Island) that claims they can fix problems with Hobby King orders. They were very prevalent on another forum until just recently and they suddenly got quiet. I wonder if they are overwhelmed with complaints or just not able to be as effective as they said. Anyway they definetly have had a large spike in customer complaints in the last six months or so. Something must be wrong.
    RC Aircraft/ Three Laws Safe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    They are spending so much money solving folks' problems and making everyone happy that they are now being forced to elevate prices to the level of Horizon Hobby and Tower Hobbies but their exemplary service will remain the same.
    \"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is\"

Intolerance is not to be tolerated

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyPopper View Post
    They are spending so much money solving folks' problems and making everyone happy that they are now being forced to elevate prices to the level of Horizon Hobby and Tower Hobbies but their exemplary service will remain the same.
    "but their exemplary service will remain the same"

Then they really are in trouble cause their exemplary service is no service at all. They are a shady outfit that sluffs off customer complaints like a beaver sheds water, they take your money in 30 milliseconds and require two to six months to return it.

Yeah they are right up there with Tower and Horizon,,,,NOT..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    \"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is\"

Intolerance is not to be tolerated

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I would bet that Hk profits are on par with Tower or any of the large hobby retailers and that they make up for their low prices by cheating a certain percentage of their customers. As long
    as there are enough people willing to take a chance on them because of their prices they will stay in business.
    Ira d

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Have you seen their ad with the American Girl and Guy sitting at the computer with headsets on. They both are wearing suits (the guy with a tie) and big smiles on their faces. I imagine that the truth of that is about the same as HK saving you money. Totally misrepresenting the facts.
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just growing pains-they are here to stay. Too many Americans are spending their hard earn money with them. They are a world wide company and will absorb smaller suppliers here in the USA or put them out of business.
    \"IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY AIRPLANES -FLY BOLDLY AND REDUCE YOUR NUMBER\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    No ...I haven't seen it yet but I suppose they are beginning to realize they have a problem. And I really hope they intend to fix the internal problems and not just crank up the marketing. As a side note, they did finally send me a nice apology note a few weeks after the fact. Time will tell. I really hope they get it resolved because they have a few things I can't even find in the US.

HK service after receiving your money are up to crap. Orders take over a month when shipped before even reaching YOUR customs. E-mails are cleverly sidestepped and no answer given to your problem. Their back orders that are so proudly advertised to take about 14 days take up to three months. Try their online help......again a brick wall as you sit more than an hour with no one to come back to you for assistance. Honestly HK's service have deteriorated over the last five months that it is on track with our South African client services which is non existent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    These threads are always entertaining.
    Srsly...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by PLANE JIM View Post
    Just growing pains-they are here to stay. Too many Americans are spending their hard earn money with them. They are a world wide company and will absorb smaller suppliers here in the USA or put them out of business.
    That's not what I'm hearing. Apparently if you pay Hobby King for EMS shipping from Hong Kong it takes weeks instead of days but they keep your money. Other Hong Kong dealers offer EMS and it only takes a couple of days, wonder why that is? Even shipments from the US warehouse cost more than they should and take a couple of weeks to get delivered in many cases.

The HK PR outfit in New York were loud and proud on RCG a few weeks ago an now they seem to be very quiet. Could be they got overwhelmd by complaints. If they spent the money on taking care of their customers instead of a PR outfit they might do better.

I especially like the way that whenever anyone complains on the Hobby King forum over on RCG the usual suspects start shouting them down while the second string guys plaster buddy codes all over the place to try and drive the thread down the stack. Even better when people find out the stupid buddy codes don't work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It is all good for us! I have found a lot of people gripe about them but they really have not ordered nothing from any company-Like the peanut gallery at the flying field that have an opinion about everything but never pull in airplane out to fly!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have 22 operational planes and four unbuilt so Yeah, I fly a lot. I have bought stuff from a lot of places and still do, that's how I got all of those planes, not counting the ones I crashed. There are so many really good suppliers of hobby equipment it seems kind of dumb to roll the dice on one with such a bad reputation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Topspin -WOW!!!! Bragging again!!!!!

I think about Walmart and the products they sell-not made in USA-Customer service mostly poor(22 cashier stations and four open on a Saturday) They do have a grip on the market place in the USA-

HobbyKing sells products not made in the USA-Customer service poor-They do have a grip on the world wide market-They are here to stay because like Walmart -Americans are spending a lot of money with them and they will put the smaller suppliers out of business
    Last edited by PLANE JIM; 02-17-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenator128 View Post
    These threads are always entertaining.
    if you like watching teenage girls argue on facebook.
    Life is good. Don't waste it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Maybe I do! This is more entertaining and less infuriating than political debates.
    Srsly...

I have placed a couple of orders lately, not received em yet, it's too early...

I wonder, if you pay with paypal and HK fails to deliver, you still use paypal to bail you out. In every case I did that in the past money was returned asap.

Isn't that failsafe enough?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have never bought anything from Hobby King and never will, that's my feeling on the subject.