Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Dog Ate My Homework!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:49 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dog Ate My Homework!

Well, actually, it was my workbench that ate my part. No, not a tiny screw that holds on a cowl, or a servo screw while attaching the arm, but a fitting for my fuel dot. Much bigger than a real dot, but able to hide somewhere. Sometimes I think I could build something with as much as I lose either on the garage floor, on the shelf under the bench top, or on the top itself. Now I have to wait till my new fuel dot arrives in the mail to continue. I have looked under the table saw, under the bench, pulled stuff off the shelf, and cleaned up the bench, and moved all the yard tools and still nothing! Although I did find a servo mounting screw I lost about 3 weeks ago.

SO... I am looking for a way to keep the parts from under the bench, or off its shelf...at least the rest is garage floor and most parts are eventually findable. I am trying to avoid buying 2 of everything.

Any ideas are welcome.

Last edited by hookedonrc; 02-02-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Well if your dog ate it you can wait to get it back in the form of another delivery !
Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 AM
hookedonrc

LoL. ...... Very true,except he was nowhere in the garage when it disappeared.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Checklst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you check in your shoes!!!!!!! Don't ask me how I know this because I'll lie. Dang this getting old can be funny at times.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep a magnetic parts pan on my workbench, works for most hobby hardware. Then there's something called a jewelers apron. It attaches to the bottom edge of your workbench and around your neck. When you drop something it goes no farther than just below the table top.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:30 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably hiding with all those odd socks that somehow get lost between the washer and the dryer?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way I've found to find the first lost part is to get another one.
Then, inevitably, the first part shows up.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:39 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

There's a monster that gobbles my stuff when I drop it. He hides under my bench most of the time. I've never seen him but he's well fed.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:13 AM
hookedonrc

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
I keep a magnetic parts pan on my workbench, works for most hobby hardware. Then there's something called a jewelers apron. It attaches to the bottom edge of your workbench and around your neck. When you drop something it goes no farther than just below the table top.
The first thing I would do with one of these would be to try to leave the bench with it still attached. I have a magnet for reaching into the fuses because I never get parts attached the first time. Unfortunately, this part is plastic, so if it is hiding under the bench or on the shelf, I will just have to wait until the bench coughs it up. I took a bunch of stuff off of the shelf yesterday, but didn't run into it. And underneath the shelf is where I store large plywood pieces, so I can see most of the area there. I think slopoke is right...the monster that hides under my bench ate it.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:37 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that if you don't feed that monster every once-in-a-while, it comes out, late at night (when you're not around) and re-arranges your stuff...
I must have one under my bench too...
"Where's that muffler?....oh yeah, it's in that box over there...oops..no it isn't ...I thought I knew right where it was...!?"

I don't have a wife who trys to "tidy-up"...so it must be that monster, aye?!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:08 AM
hookedonrc

LOL...My wife won't go near my bench. I think she has seen the monster....and I think is me.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by chuckk2
The only way I've found to find the first lost part is to get another one.
Then, inevitably, the first part shows up.

OMG, I thought that only happened to me
Old 02-03-2014, 12:04 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Default gremlins in my shop

My dog isn't in the shop, but I swear I have gremlins. I can fly my plane one day and put it away in good shape. The next week I go to the field and the engine will not run or something else is wrong requiring an hours worth of work to fly. Been trying to trap them for years but they are still there.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I am working with small parts, I try to spread out a couple of newspapers underneath , and work on the floor, not the bench. Not elegant, but the parts dont fall far, and are usually easy to spot. However, one of murphy's laws is that a small part dropped from a height over 2 inches can bounce enough travel over 6 feet in a random direction.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:47 PM
hookedonrc

Well let's see then, it fell from about 5 feet which is 60 inches divided by 2 would make it 30 times further than the 2 inch example. So that makes it 6 feet x 30 for 180 ft. Maybe I should be looking in my neighbors garage. That's probably about right.......LOL
Old 02-04-2014, 02:42 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lopflyers
OMG, I thought that only happened to me
No. It happens to all of us. It's a law of nature, like gravity or the theory of relativity.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 AM
GerKonig

I have 3 levels, and 3 stud finders. 2 hammers. Why? When I needed them I could not find them, so I got a new one. The advantage? Easier to find one level out of 3:-)

There are 2 things you can do to find things lost in the shop

a) Buy a new one, and pretty soon you will find the missing part
b) Look for something else, and you might find it

There is a third thing you can do, but it is almost impossible to do. Well, for what it is worth, one can be more organized.

I now use an old towel on the workbench when I work on things with little parts, it helps. But when the parts are really very small, a piece of fabric works better, because you might not find a little screw in the towel... I did not get to theat level (using a piece of fabric)

Another thing I do now when I look for little screws or a washer on the floor is to do it like the cops in the movies. Low light, and use a flashlight. Makes little things pop up... Yes, like NCIS, like a crime scene investigator.

Under my workbench I have a small fridge. The fridge is known to attract stuff that hides under it. From time to time I move the fridge out, and find things I did not know I lost. Did I mention I have Xacto knife holders all over the place. It makes them easy to find...

Gerry
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I am firmly convinced that there is a gremlin that lives under my workbench. His only goal in life is to confound me. When something falls from my bench he immediately reaches out and grabs it and then prepositions to someplace else that to which it could not have possibly have fallen on it's own. This gremlin thrives on seeing the frustration on my face as I am on my hands and knees looking for whatever part has fallen on the floor. I am also convinced that his secondary goal is to also go to into my nuts and bolts drawers and remove exactly one of whatever nut, bolt, screw, washer, etc ... that I am looking for. For instance, if I need 6 sets of screws and washers I will look into the my spare parts drawers and of course I will find exactly the perfect screw and washers I am looking for, but I will only have 5 of them there!!!!!! argghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Ken
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM
CafeenMan

Join the club. I've lost my X-Acto knife a brazilian times when I was using it while seated at a desk and never left the seat. So you know it has to be within arm's reach, right? I never got up so I couldn't have taken it anywhere and I can't find it. Eventually I do but usually a day or two later and long after I've pulled out another knife so I can keep working.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 AM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GerKonig - I have a third way of locating a lost part - Ask my wife to use a vacuum cleaner with an almost full dust bag to clean the area . In less than 30 sec I will hear the part rattling up the hose. Then its only a matter of sifting thru a couple of quarts of matted hair, dust, party crumbs, lint, and some things I can't begin to describe. She often finds stuff I didnt even know I lost - it plays out as " Nice to see you back from the field. When I was vacuuming, I heard something rattle up the hose. Are you missing a part?"
Old 02-04-2014, 11:11 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by jtotten
GerKonig - I have a third way of locating a lost part - Ask my wife to use a vacuum cleaner with an almost full dust bag to clean the area . In less than 30 sec I will hear the part rattling up the hose. Then its only a matter of sifting thru a couple of quarts of matted hair, dust, party crumbs, lint, and some things I can't begin to describe. She often finds stuff I didnt even know I lost - it plays out as " Nice to see you back from the field. When I was vacuuming, I heard something rattle up the hose. Are you missing a part?"
You are onto something! Yesterday I cleaned (emptied) one of the vacuum cleaners. This one has like a see trough plastic thing. I think I will vacuum the shop with that one from now on... Just clean it, and vacuum the floor... The problem are always the darn jumpers... (parts, nuts, screws, whatever).

Other common risk is when you find something, you do not need it, but you will soon. So, you think, OK where can I put this gizmo, so I find it when I need it? and you think carefully and put the thing away. You will find it if you move, or when your family clean out your stuff after your passing...

Gerry
Now where is my mouse, I just had it here...
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

CafeenMan and I have the same disease. I can't count the number of times I have lost something while sitting at the bench without getting up and I CANNOT FIND IT. EVER!!!!!! How is that even possible?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 PM
CafeenMan

I can only speak for myself, Jolly. Baby Jesus hates me.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM
f16man

How bout a trough or gutter to catch junk before it hits the ground..............
Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
... I've lost my X-Acto knife....
What's even worse than this is the reverse inversion foot field that exists that effects only x-acto knives. you know the one. those that when the knife is falling anywhere near your foot and the field will then kick in and then preposition the blade pointing down, and then accelerate knife, so that it sticks into the top of you foot and stays there!!!!!!!

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.