The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Where is it made?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnSpin View Post
Based on 25 years of manufacturing experience, I would lay 10:1 odds the big names in the hobby industry were some of the Pacific Rim first customers. When you consider an ARF, for example, what component costs the most? It's not the wood, glue or covering but the time and labor to assemble them. Corporate America, much like other industrialized nations is about money, profit and sustainability.

From a technical standpoint, and as referenced in the OP, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) mandates the allowable percentage of foreign material present in products displaying "Made in America." To qualify this statement, a products final assembly or processing (including packaging) must be done in the U.S.

As to where it's made, our government is quite sincere about stating the facts relative to a manufactured product's origin. They have to be in order to satisfy the numerous treaties and tariffs put in place by 42 presidents. Pacific Rim countries take great pride in their sand, investment and lost wax casting capabilities and low wage labor. That being said, and for example, it's highly unlikely you will find an engine completely manufactured in the USA, let alone an ARF.
The Japanese have slightly higher labor costs than the US. They have a costitutional right (article 28) to collective bargaining.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 AM
MinnSpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150 View Post
The Japanese have slightly higher labor costs than the US. They have a costitutional right (article 28) to collective bargaining.
Based on my generalized Pacific Rim statement, you make a good point about labor rates not being equal among countries occupying this part of the globe. Perhaps that is why Saito Engines cost 30% more than Magnums, and by some accounts, deserve to.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Based on my generalized Pacific Rim statement, you make a good point about labor rates not being equal among countries occupying this part of the globe. Perhaps that is why Saito Engines cost 30% more than Magnums, and by some accounts, deserve to.
The Japanese have a highly skilled, highly motivated work force that takes great pride in their work.

Perhaps being paid good wages has something to do with that.

The inside of a Saito engine looks every bit as good as the outside as far as quality workmanship.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:37 AM
MinnSpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My signature is Saito exclusive - they make a great engine.
By contrast, I have a Burgmaster Table Drill - probably 1978 or so. In 1986, Burgmaster was auctioned off, (a story in itself). Toward their end, Burgmaster company contracted the Japanese to make their table drills, to be sold in the United States.
And right next to my Burgmaster sits a Made in China Jewelers Press with a 12mm chuck, which I bought new more than 25 years ago and runs without compromise. Mind you, I compared several models and manufacturers including Sears and one available through Micro-Mark. Interestingly, one was made in Taiwan and the other in China.
Go Figure.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:08 PM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
My signature is Saito exclusive - they make a great engine.
By contrast, I have a Burgmaster Table Drill - probably 1978 or so. In 1986, Burgmaster was auctioned off, (a story in itself). Toward their end, Burgmaster company contracted the Japanese to make their table drills, to be sold in the United States.
And right next to my Burgmaster sits a Made in China Jewelers Press with a 12mm chuck, which I bought new more than 25 years ago and runs without compromise. Mind you, I compared several models and manufacturers including Sears and one available through Micro-Mark. Interestingly, one was made in Taiwan and the other in China.
Go Figure.
I have a World Models 1/5 J-3 Cub ARF that I purchased from Wings Maker about a year ago. I heven't started assembly yet but I did enough try & fit to get some idea of quality & I am impressed W/what I have found so far.

By contrast I was considering an ASP FS400R5 radial, but after reading about all of the QC issues, 1st the link pin failures on the early examples & now the cam gear failures on the current crop, along W/variable compression on all of them, I would not trust one enough to make the purchase let alone hang it on the nose of an expensive aircraft & risk losing it due to engine failure.

As far as Sears quality? I have several examples of Sears power tools. A drill press, disc/drum/spindle sander combo, a table saw & several smaller power tools. The drill press & table saw are OK (just) but the sander combo is a POS. I am not impressed W/the quality of their power tools & their Craftsman hand tools are stating to suffer too. Sears does not manufacture anything & all one is doing is adding a layer of complication when parts/service are needed. I do have a 1/2" Craftsman impact driver that is a made by Ingersol Rand that is top notch, but the only way I found out the manufacturer was when I saw an I R example @ work.

The point is Chinese products are a crap shoot, but Japanese/German products are usually very dependable as far as quality. I have one of the 1st generation Damlier/Chrysler LX cars, a 2006 Charger Daytona. It is about 80% Mecedes "E" class & is the best American car I have ever owned especially when performing the major mechanical work that is a part of performance modifications. It is a joy to work on compared to other modern American cars. The quality of my 2005 Ram Power Wagon did not compare. The only cars that compare W/the LX are the 1985 VW Golf & 2006 Jetta that we have owned. And bear in mind I'm a retired GM employee. As far as GM acrs, I can't afford to keep one of their cars past the warranty period as they tend to have issues W/everting except the drivetrain after a few miles.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 02-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 PM
erik valdez

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We are talking a totally different ball game when it comes to Japan, HIGH HIGH quality! I believe Desert Aircraft ignitions are made in Australia.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Tony Iannucelli

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd guess 90% is made in Asia. Someone mentioned Dubro, and they sell a lot, all made in USA. Ditto Sullivan in Baltimore. Byron. Violett. Balsa USA. I'm sure there are others. Tower, Horizon, Hobby People, Hobby Mart, etc are middle men; I don't think they manufacture anything but they still get a lot of my business anyway. The economics of the hobby business is pretty simple. Design it, find several manufacturers, compare quality and prices, place your order. Or make it yourself. Or just buy from distributors or buy your own containers direct. Market your goods. Give service. Compete. That last thing ... competition ... is what holds the USA back. Our standard of living requires higher prices. But hobby dollars come after housing, cars, food, clothes, and many other essentials. Hobby dollars are precious to most average guys. Bang for the buck rules. Only the deep pocket guys don't have to be concerned.

As a sad side note, I heard at the field yesterday that Miniature Aircraft is going out of business after more than 25 years. They made quality helicopters. I'd guess that Align, Thunder Tiger, and several other Asian manufacturers -- selling stuff just as good for half the price (arguably) -- was responsible for their decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15743.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1967895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49099.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1967896  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:50 PM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli View Post
That last thing ... competition ... is what holds the USA back. Our standard of living requires higher prices. But hobby dollars come after housing, cars, food, clothes, and many other essentials. Hobby dollars are precious to most average guys. Bang for the buck rules. Only the deep pocket guys don't have to be concerned.
Germany has on of the highest labor costs in the world yet they have a trade SURPLUS.

Denmark's is higher still yet they ship wind tubine blades through my area constantly.

Labor wages are only part of the picture.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 PM
MinnSpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Germany has on of the highest labor costs in the world yet they have a trade SURPLUS.

Denmark's is higher still yet they ship wind tubine blades through my area constantly.

Labor wages are only part of the picture.
What is your suggestion for the other part of the picture?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 PM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
What is your suggestion for the other part of the picture?

No political posts allowed.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 PM
MinnSpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
No political posts allowed.
Perhaps mistaken, but would it appear the thread became political when the Japanese labor / collective bargaining aspect was posted. Of course, that in itself, could be construed an abomination.

Last edited by MinnSpin; 02-12-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Rv7garage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Politics drives taxes, tariffs, etc.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:34 AM
wheelan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

years ago we had a thing called tariffs, idea was that if an imported product competed with local manufacturing and jobs you paid more for it, as i remember we all seemed better off and you were able to live well with the husband working and the wife staying home to look after the kids, then some einstein (muppet) came up with a thing called free trade, things dont seem so good now, if any country can make their own stuff imports must be more expensive, tough,, by the way the reason hobbyking sells their stuff cheaper is because they only deal direct with manufactures and will not deal with middle men or distributors,
Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 AM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Perhaps mistaken, but would it appear the thread became political when the Japanese labor / collective bargaining aspect was posted. Of course, that in itself, could be construed an abomination.
Seems like that collective bargaining has worked well for the japanese economy.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 02-15-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 AM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelan View Post
years ago we had a thing called tariffs, idea was that if an imported product competed with local manufacturing and jobs you paid more for it, as i remember we all seemed better off and you were able to live well with the husband working and the wife staying home to look after the kids, then some einstein (muppet) came up with a thing called free trade, things dont seem so good now, if any country can make their own stuff imports must be more expensive, tough,, by the way the reason hobbyking sells their stuff cheaper is because they only deal direct with manufactures and will not deal with middle men or distributors,
I wouln't go as far as advocating tarriffs, but why should corporations get tax breaks on income made here that is then invested in 3rd world countries?

I would advocate "fair trade".

Limit imports from countries to what we export to them. At least by some sort of factor. Not just open the flood gates.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
I thought they just circled right to left instead of the "anglo/english" left to right.
Had to laugh when I saw this in Bass Pro today.

Genuine Australian Boomerang, made in the USA.

Most of the souvineer Boomerangs lack aerodynamics and don't fly correctly.

From what I could see these USA made versions do. (Note the laminations on the leading edge on one side, and trailing edge of the other)

I am impressed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	807.1 KB
ID:	1970952  

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-21-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:48 PM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
Had to laugh when I saw this in Bass Pro today.

Genuine Australian Boomerang, made in the USA.

Most of the souvineer Boomerangs lack aerodynamics and don't fly correctly.

From what I could see these USA made versions do. (Note the laminations on the leading edge on one side, and trailing edge of the other)

I am impressed.

I see it's marked "right hand". Does that make it a Southern hemispere boomerang while the "left hand" version is for Northern hemospere use?

You know, toilets swirl counterclockwise in the Northern hemispere while they flow opposite down under. Or does it corrospond the which side of the road one drives on?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Deleted double post.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-21-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
I see it's marked "right hand". Does that make it a Southern hemispere boomerang while the "left hand" version is for Northern hemospere use?

You know, toilets swirl counterclockwise in the Northern hemispere while they flow opposite down under. Or does it corrospond the which side of the road one drives on?
Now you are confusing me with all the technical mumbo jumbo!.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
now you are confusing me with all the legal mumbo jumbo!.
Quote:
Now you are confusing me with all the technical mumbo jumbo!.
Wow, you are confused aren't you?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Wow, you are confused aren't you?
LOL.. oops.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-21-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey whos got the best price on RC boomerangs and oh what are the best 'upgrades'?

John
Old 02-22-2014, 04:24 AM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBuckner View Post
Hey whos got the best price on RC boomerangs and oh what are the best 'upgrades'?

John
Are you seeking ARFs, Receiver ready or PNP?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 AM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Are you seeking ARFs, Receiver ready or PNP?
The foamies fly well.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2-Tone-Foam-Boomerang_20090706049.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1971095  
Old 02-22-2014, 07:47 AM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
The foamies fly well.

How many channels & are they available in Mode I?

Search this Thread