Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hamilton Standard Scale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hamilton Standard Scale?

I am closing in on moving to my next project, assembling an Aeroworks Cessna 195. I am going to try to make it as close to scale as possible, by adding a dummy radial, internal cockpit parts, etc. From what I have seen in many pictures is the use of a Hamilton Standard polished chrome prop. I am thinking of replicating that on the Cessna, but am wondering if they are made? Or would something like Flite Metal be usable to recreate the look and reflecting properties of the original? I don't think that any silver paint would recreate the look, but am open to any suggestions.

Last edited by hookedonrc; 02-11-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:15 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I will be following this thread , because I know how hard it is to get perfect scale looks when it comes to propellers and I want to see what folks suggest . I'm pretty sure that AMA wise we can't use actual metal blades , so this will come down to how to best make plastic or wood resemble metal . I tend to agree with hookedonrc that I've never seen any silver paint that looked like the metal we're trying to replicate , even the so called "chrome look" paints have never impressed me .

So how bout it , scale guys , just how DO you get a prop to not look like the typical APC plastic prop I see on so many models these days ?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that there is no paint that looks like real metal.

The only solution thhat I can come up with is to use a dummy prop and hub for display. Metal foil can be applied, and it will look great. In fact, I'm just getting ready to order some from here: http://www.aero-accessories.com/Builders.html

I don't think that it would be safe to apply it to a flying prop, however.

Years ago, I purchased some Krylon aluminum paint. I believe the color was labeled "Chrome". Obviously it isn't chrome, but it's the best looking "metal" paint that I've seen. If you clear coat it, though, it will look like silver Monokote.

I sand my wood props smooth, and seal them with a clear. Minwax Polycryllic or their Polyurethane (oil base) will work well. After the grain is properly sealed, a coat of primer is applied, and then the "chrome" paint.

The sealed wood prevent wood grain from showing through the finish. I feel that it is an important step.

After paint, a nice prop logo completes the project.

If you don't want to go to all the work, Xoar has silver props with a nice finish on them. You may want to take a look.

Hey, hookedonrc, Take a look in the lower left hand side, of the fuselage pic. See what's on the floor ? LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40868.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1967726   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF2969.jpg
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	1967730   Click image for larger version

Name:	engfrntw.jpg
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1967734   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018w.jpg
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1967735  

Last edited by TomCrump; 02-12-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:05 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chad Veich recommended this site: http://scalespecialties.com/Home_Page.html They have nice dummy props and hubs, mostly for warbirds. Hookedonrc would have to look around to see if they had any two bladed varieties.

Hook, they also have 7 cylinder dummy radials. I didn't see any pics on the site, though.

You have to search hard on the site to find any pics of what their stuff looks like, but I did find one of a prop and hub. It was worth the effort.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:16 AM
hookedonrc

Thanks Tom, I will check with them. I have had a tough time finding the 7 cylinder radial. The only one I located is through Bob Dively and it is cast ABS which is fine, but the ones that Frank Tiano sells are much more detailed. However, I have checked with them and they only have the 9 cylinder models and I need the 7. Maybe I can Scale Specialities to send me a picture of the 7 cylinder.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there was an article in MAN last year regarding the Hamilton Standard props....
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...tic-scale-kit/

it covers a three blade in black, but I'd bet the same techniques using speed tape (aluminum tape) would be equally impressive.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 AM
hookedonrc

Thanks Jim, I will reread it and see if I can gain any insight. I am wanting to have a functional prop so I may have to test different methods of making it look chrome. Whatever it turns out to be, it needs to be safe, and lasting. I don't what pieces flying off during operation.