Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

noise, what is your club doing

What is your club doing about noise? With the encroaching of neighborhoods and the building of new homes in rural america noise is becoming an issue.

Numerous club have lost fields due to the noise of 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. Even though the club flying field was present before the new homes were built and sold, the club usually has no defense.

What are you doing to keep the noise to a minimum?

Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3675.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	1968671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3648.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	1968672  
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Our club field is in a County park and they recently restricted us to 92dba of noise. That eliminated many gas and glow planes and even several electrics from the field. I disagree with the rule because the County frequently operates chain saws and other power equipment in the park and surrounding area that far exceede the 92dba restriction imposed on us. Unfortunately they are not about to back off of this so if we want to keep flying we are relegated to smaller quieter airplanes.
    RC Aircraft/ Three Laws Safe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hence the huge transition to electrics.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Countless full scale small GA airports have been closed or sued over noise complaints filed by homeowners who's houses appeared overnight next to the airports knowing full well it was there then they bought the house.

The best course of action is to self police and lay low. No news is good news type of thing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Where's the AMA?
    Back Roads Outlaws Revver #165

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Several fields in this area have been lost because of noise. We received a noise complaint from a neighbor last year. It turned into a big deal with a township engineer coming out to make sound level measurements at the perimeter of the property. The township was OK with the level, so for now at least, we are staying with our 96 dB / 10 foot limit.

The trend toward larger models and gasoline engines is not a good thing for our field. We don't have enough electric and small glow members to support the field financially. Everyone seems to have the Toolman Tim attitude of wanting more and more power.
    Last edited by JPMacG; 02-16-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    Glow Head #6, UltraSport #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by tacx View Post
    Hence the huge transition to electrics.
    That's true but there are several electrics at our club that can't meet the noise level requirement due to prop noise. It also makes almost all of the ducted fan jets off limits except my little Eflite mini-Mig. I personally think the limit is too restrictive since there are no houses within a mile of the flying field.

Also, the County Landfill is at the far end of the field just over some tall trees. The machienery at the landfill is a lot louder than any of our model airplanes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OK Frank so where are you in this, your own question? I really would have to ask what is your purpose in somewhat coyly posting a picture of a glow sport airplane as well as a ducted fan electric twin (262).

Before I would even bother to answer I first want to know where you are: Are you anti Glow, anti two or four stroke, anti gasser, anti turbine or anti electric duct fan ? I would answer freely and without bias If this was kept a reasonable discussion and not just another evangelical rant by the electric only enthusiast who will not be happy until all forms of our wonderful an diverse hobby/sport is dead and gone that may not be what that individual is involved with?

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBuckner View Post
    OK Frank so where are you in this, your own question? I really would have to ask what is your purpose in somewhat coyly posting a picture of a glow sport airplane as well as a ducted fan electric twin (262).

Before I would even bother to answer I first want to know where you are: Are you anti Glow, anti two or four stroke, anti gasser, anti turbine or anti electric duct fan ? I would answer freely and without bias If this was kept a reasonable discussion and not just another evangelical rant by the electric only enthusiast who will not be happy until all forms of our wonderful an diverse hobby/sport is dead and gone that may not be what that individual is involved with?

John

Good question John, Actually I don't own any electric planes. But Our club, which is located in Grand Prairie, Texas is looking to head off any noise complaints before they start. We are aggressively exploring more community activity programs that involve local residents. We have set up noise testing stations and actively test the Db levels of planes at our field.

I, as well as my club, are really curious as to what other clubs are doing in this arena. Our club has a wide spectrum of types of planes and helicopters in electric, glow and gas. We are on property leased from the city located on a lake. There are no houses in close proximity, but there soon will be.

Just as a throw back to an earlier time. I started flying control line at an early age. I got interested in airplanes when I "heard" a noise at the local school yard. I went to investigate. The school was at least 2 block away, but I heard the noise. I got interested and started flying .35 control line planes at this same school yard. There were houses across the street from the school on all four sides. Yet not one person ever complained about the noise.

A different time and different place and a different society.

Frank

P.S. I thought the pictures would make the thread more interesting.
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't know about Frank but I am pro all power plants. I used to run glow, both two and four strokes and I still have a Thunder Tiger .60 that has always been a very dependable motor but I don't have it in a plane. I never did understand the rivalry issues since we are all in the same hobby. Right now I'm bashing a little four dollar foamie glider with a cheap Chinese motor and some cheap GWS Pico servos. Fun project and it will be a cute little plane when finished. I would have just as much fun building an 8 ft. Telemaster with a 50cc gasser or a .90 four stroke in it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OK Frank and good on you for not turning this into a rant Now for our field, it is located just four miles from town on what is the municipal airport property and there is no danger from any further encroachment of housing with what there is located on the far side of Route 66 which at the closest point is one mile and all of our normal flight patterns do not come anywhere near this housing. There are two runways, One of almost 1000' desert hardpan by about 100' with a cross runway of around 700' by 75' desert hardpan both very well groomed and smoother than area dry lakes.

We have been very proactive in the last few years in facility improvement and concrete flight stations as well as access walks and actively pursuing my fellow handicap members. Another area we have pursued is the local cub as well as girls scouts and had events for them. This is one of the very best things any modeling club can do if it wishes to endear itself to the local community. Oh almost forgot the Local 4H girls have trained several in controlline with ships which I kitted up for them.

Now for myself I still currently and actively fly Glow 2 as well as 4 stroke, gas, a spattering of diesel and rubber. Oh and just now getting involved with turbine.

Our club has no sound limitations with none in the foreseeable future. Our turbine waiver training activities occurs at a remote dry lake which shall remained unnamed and off the beaten path. But now our first to acheve the waiver (not me) now flys at the home field and we wecome one and all.

By the way I just happen to have one of those 262's and its slightly more obnoxious in the noise department than the typical glow sport plane you posted.

John

Only just my opinion

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBuckner View Post

John
    wow defensive, are you?
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying View Post
    Where's the AMA?
    Do you also have a point? Or you need the address?

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying View Post
    Where's the AMA?

Muncie, Indiana
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by lopflyers View Post
    wow defensive, are you?
    Yes my friend when one comes under attack for the type of motive power they so choose by narrow minded types who have never experienced anything else but what they have experienced with their tunnel vision. And I likely will be so for the rest of my days having been fortunate to experience a wonderful variety of power systems.

We have no noise problems and likely will not in the foreseeable future and welcome all forms model aviation. Yes we are very fortunate in that way Please read my post #11.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    We are experiencing noise issues at our field. We sound test, 90db at 10 feet taken at 4 different positions. We have club reps meeting with town officials over the issue. We have 2 neighbors that just don't want us there no matter what concessions we may offer. We have had town officials at our field several times to see what's going on. They seem to have no problem with us, they are just trying to address the complaints of a couple of taxpayers. There actually is very little flying at our club. Most of the members are up in age some, and don't fly any more. They like to socialize and hang out. We had 1 member not renew his dues this year due to the noise issue. He flies mainly 50cc gassers and his planes won't meet the noise limits. Too bad, nice guy and great pilot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    We talked with the AMA about our noise issue. They didn't really have much to say. They recommend that clubs establish a good relationship with the local town government early, before there is an issue. It prompted us to participate in the "adopt a highway" program in which we we sign on to keep a section of roadway clean of litter.

Bottom line is that once a neighbor notices you and gets annoyed there is little that a club can do to satisfy the neighbor. You just have to hope that the local officials are more sympathetic to the club than to the neighbors.

I envy those with fields where sound is not an issue.
    Last edited by JPMacG; 02-16-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    Glow Head #6, UltraSport #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Private land and the lone finger salute.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There is a club in Seattle that have a flying field at an old dump that has been covered over.
    They had complaints so they decided to keep a log to see who was the problem flier.
    it turned out they had complaints on days there were no one flying!
    The neighbors complained when full scales were flying over.
    Keep a log. You may be surprised.
    dirty old men need love too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well, to quote something I was told some 60 or so years ago; "Those that Don't, make laws so, the one's that
    do don't"!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    One of the clubs I belong to has restrictions about running IC engines with mufflers and below a certain db level. Also a time range restriction for running IC powered models.

I suppose it is fair to have some sort of noise control based on the time of the day for heavily habitated areas. Just as some areas have about running yard power tools.

If someone decides to mow a lawn at 3 am in the morning, is not going to make too many friends in the neighborhood.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Maybe if clubs started fighting back, we wouldn’t be told what we can and cant fly noise wise… A lot of people like to complain just to here their own jaw’s flapping and I for one am sick a tired of it!!!
    I would like to see the same folks who complain about nose go after the Harley group and tell them they need to put on a muffler. The very same ones who complain about an airport being to noisy, have no problem plopping their azz on one to take them to see little Johnny and his tribe of kids… Give me a break already!
    I’m only in my early 40’s and I am embarrassed as to what our country has become.. My kids can’t dress up for Halloween at school, it might offend someone, heck they can’t even have a party at school on Halloween like we did as kids.. It’s now called fall festival!! Just learned a good one, kids can’t say they are sitting Indian style nowadays, they teach them that it’s called “crisscross to applesauce… ARE YOU ^%$%$ kidding me, WTH is wrong with people today.. They don’t want to offend and American Indian, what the he^^ were they thinking when they took this land from them….
    I here this talk about special club meetings to discuses what we can do about the noise level.. Here’s one for ya, tell them to shut the he## up and if they keep at it, you will sue them for harassment. I just wonder where we would all be today if our four fathers laid down like we ALL do today.. The ones I really feel bad for our the Men and Women of the armed forces that gave their life for this country, boy we sure let them down big time… Off my soapbox now, enjoy the rest of your thread!
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #92

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    there is always a way to get even with the noise people who *****

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by oneaew@msn.com View Post
    there is always a way to get even with the noise people who *****
    Yup. hide a dog whistle connected to a great big can of compressed air next to their house.