Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Carl Goldberg Staudacher

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 05:03 AM
Blackbird-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Staudacher

Has anyone flown/built one of these?
Please tell me your experience, and if you would recommend this airplane. Also what skill level do you think this plane is?
Old 01-28-2002, 11:19 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Default Goldberg Staudacher

I was given one for christmas last year, and afterwards read various posts about this plane crashing. I am an experience pilot and figured it wouldnt be a problem. 1st off the landing gear is the weakest I have ever seen, I made a soft landing and the gear popped right off. The last day the plane took off, went up, and came straight down into the ground, totalling the plane. I have a freind that said his flew like his was on rails, well now his plane went in and was also totaled. I dont know what the problem is, but I would not recommend this plane at all. Mine was totaled on about the 4th flight, and I must say my 1st, 2nd and 3rd flight were not enjoyable at all. Here is my recommendations on a better kit the same size:

GP Extra 300 60
Midwest Cap 232
Kangke Cap 232(ARF)
Kangke G300(Staudacher off shoot ARF

You can look at the kangke kits at www.kangkeusa.com
or go to www.winnerrc.com
Dazzler
Old 01-28-2002, 03:52 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

A flying buddy of mine built one a couple of years ago. He built a twist in the wing and it never flew right. He bought a wing kit and I built it for him. I have to say, after building a Sig SE, the Goldberg wing kit was plain awful!!! The wood was sub par and the die-crunching was ghastly!
I can EASILY see how someone could build a warp in it. I managed to get it built straight and mounted. He covered it and flew if a bunch of times but it was a bear... Like Dazzler said, you cant keep the gear on and it has a little snapping tendancy at log speeds.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:42 PM
Blackbird-RCU

Dazzler and xp8103, thanks for helping me out on this one. The two of you have saved me time, money and most importantly, frustration. I will not bother with this kit. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2002, 05:52 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I know why I was offered a kit at $100 CDN
Old 06-14-2002, 06:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought my GP Extra 300 (60) i also considered the Goldberg Staudacher, I'm glad now that I picked the Extra 300 (and I highly recommend it).
Old 06-14-2002, 06:16 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

Dave Patrick designed most of the aerobatic planes for Goldberg---It is worth saying that he DID NOT DESIGN THIS ONE! I have heard a few people attribute this monster to him--(guilt by association I guess)
Old 03-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Swazzi2000

To All,

I don't know. Just this past weekend I purchased a Goldberg Staudacher built with a GMS2000 67 engine with a pitts muff included for $255.00. It was at the Hamburg Swap meet in Pennsylvania.
The next day I had it flown by a more experienced pilot and he says it was off balance and it gained and lost altitude as it pleased. When he landed he found out that there was too much play in the elevator and in the rudder. So after 2 flights or so I packed it up and went home to fix the problem. I made a rail for the fiberglass pushrod to run through with no chance of wobble or movement. Now I have yet to fly it again to see what else will go wrong.
I talked with the guy that sold it to me and he claimed that it flew good. But I have soon to find that out. As Dazzler and the others said the landing gear is really flimsy even though you cant really bend it with your hands. I will have to look into getting a better one from another company.
Well wish me luck for this weekend when I fly my Staudacher again.

Mike
Old 03-26-2003, 01:05 AM
caf2461

Must say in the 50 some planes I have owned this one was a difficult bird. Tore the landing gear out. Uses alot of runway to land. Did not handle well in stall. Fuse too heavy. Wing a bit sharp did not slow down well. Mine was a bit underpowered with an OS 70. Pretty plane though. Got lots of compliments till I crashed it stalling in a slow loop. Nothing like my Goldberg Extra.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:20 PM
Swazzi2000

Sorry to hear about your disaster. No offence but I hope it happen to me. Do you have any pics. of it before you crashed it? Let me know.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-26-2003, 11:22 PM
caf2461

Default Staudacher

Pic 1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65945_945.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1885  
Old 03-26-2003, 11:23 PM
caf2461

Default Pic 2

It had a TME smoke system

Name:	65946_945.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1886  
Old 03-26-2003, 11:24 PM
caf2461

Default Last photo

RIP

Name:	65948_945.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1887  
Old 03-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Swazzi2000

Wow it looked good. Did you even get a chance to salvage any of the parts? So was the crash beyond repair or what? Did the structure of the craft alone hold up any or did it have no chance.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:50 AM
caf2461

The wing lost lift in a slow loop. Pancaked onto the ground too hard to repair. It did not fly all that bad. Because of it's short coupling, this plane has a tendancy to stall with application of too much elevator. Limit your throw on the elevator. Don't expect it to have the docile handling and wide speed range of the Chipmunk or Extra Goldberg models.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Swazzi2000

ATTENTION!!!!

IF YOU HAVE A VIDEO OF THE STAUDACHER ON THE GROUND AND IN FLIGHT OR EITHER OF THE TWO, IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED IF YOU WILL POST IT.

I HAVE THE SAME AIRCRAFT BUT I HAVE YET TO FLY IT SO I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS AND ISN'T CAPABLE OF WITH A GMS .76 MOUNTED IN THE NOSE. THANKS

FRIEND IN AVIATION,
MIKE
Old 04-03-2003, 01:22 AM
caf2461

Sorry, I have no video.

If you are capable this plane with that motor will be also. It will be a bit heavy because of the fuse but not underpowered (unless you are thinking 3d). If you are thinking 3d there are better planes out there. Just remember it has a high speed stall tendancy with too much elevator. I would put a large low pitch prop on it to slow it down for landing.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Swazzi2000

Thanks Caf2461. I do have a higher pitched prop and you were right it does slow it down moderately.

Mike
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 AM
jstreet57

Default couldn't help but get a little sad when I saw this post.had to take the trouble to ta

Before November 2011 I use to fly all the time..when I saw the post couldn't help but feel a little down.on November 4th of 2014 a heater malfunctions and started on fire.I removed the heater so the rest of family and pets could get outside safely.I got burned bad and was flown to burn center.no insurance and my entire house and shop was completely lost.there will be no way I will ever be able to replace all the airplanes I had but from time to time I come online to look for my favorite plane.it was a 60 size with a sixtyeight in it the kit was an older one but it was solid and a bit heavier.stall speed was a bit higher but it was the best planeI ever flew.that's why I look for one from time to time..I realize that most likely I will never have another.hold on to yours if built right you to may find it at front of list of likes...it flew to me like a hanger nine mustard.but the mustard was lighter and it was easier to get outo control.the extra weight of the s300 made it much more stable and at faster flight it was easy to control.it was more forgiving I believe and when a receiver malfunctioned. It dove straight into the ground.l lighter ship would of been gone.mine broke a propeller and ripped wing mounts off.an easy fix for me.I will send you a picture if I can.I know where one is.it's also only picture I know of of it.thank you for asking.about it and the opportunity to share it.I would tape my phone on the bottom sometimes in video mode but the phone was destroyed in fire.when it was all said and done I didn't even have the shirt on my back.the medics cut them off to treat me.now living in a small trailer and don't have a lot of space or money for planes.wanted to replace two.the genital lady wit electric motor my wife loved to fly.we would take turns flying it.then out came the s300 had to turn a few laps if I could.thanks and I will try to send a copy of the picture I know is still left.hope you enjoy yours as I did mine.