Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Bad RCU deal - BUYER BEWARE!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Bad RCU deal - BUYER BEWARE!

Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luchnia
I put my offer of 175.00 in on 2/11 and it was accepted on 2/16. Engine was shipped on the 19th and I received it on Friday the 21rst and upon inspection and seeing the old DLE 20 module in the box I knew something was up. I immediately sent him an email to let him know that he had shipped the DLE 20 ignition module and even mentioned that is was probably a mistake and I totally understood how it could have happened.

He even acknowledged that he had shipped the wrong module to another buyer and states he never heard back from the guy, which later he denies it was the wrong module saying they are one and the same. Here is a quote from one of his emails verifying he shipped it to someone else: "Hi I sold a dl 20 to someone else I guess Ishipped you the wrong one I thought I ran this motor with this module I never heard back from the guy I sold the 20 to.I will check with troy built is Sarasota Monday I,ll let you know" (Bold and underline my emphasis)

Through all of this the fellow never once was willing to work this out and never would discuss working with the person that purchased the DLE 20. It was as if it never happened and what did TroyBuild have to do with any of this? He was trying to get Troybuilt to say they were the same modules to somehow convince me to accept the old module, yet TroyBuilt list different part numbers for them. When you think about it it's almost laughable!

The item was advertised as DLE/30 Engine - RTR and described as: "Engine Almost New less than 1/2 gallon of gas ran thru engine;175.00 plus shipping thanks"
Found the ad using DLE for the search term and looking under items sold in the last 30 days..........interesting commentary on both sides.

Quite frankly if it was my reputation at stake the money would be sent back without hesitation.....$175 just isn't enough to tarnish mine
Old 02-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
From my point of view people sell anything for three reasons. #1 reason it is junk #2 reason is they no longer need it and #3 reason they need cash. When it comes to engines they usually are worn out or have been sitting for many years. Buying on this market place or others is like buying a used car "as is" or with a limited warranty.
Why would you ignore your own reasons #2 and #3 just because one is selling an engine? I have sold both engines AND used cars for reasons #2 and #3.

Kurt
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
Found the ad using DLE for the search term and looking under items sold in the last 30 days..........interesting commentary on both sides.

Quite frankly if it was my reputation at stake the money would be sent back without hesitation.....$175 just isn't enough to tarnish mine
I totally agree with you. You probably could see my frustration in my review of how the deal went down. He claims I waited a week to send the engine back which I have emails to prove otherwise. There are two sides to every coin and it takes both to make the coin whole. Like you, I would rather give money back than get my reputation damaged. Was it worth a 175 dollars for that guy to get a poor review? To me a good name is much greater than any money I will ever get in my lifetime.

I sold a charger at a swap meet this month and I told the guy before he left, wait, I want you to have my phone number and address in case this does not work as I said it would. I even dropped the price on the item too. I told him you call me and I will refund your money if there is any problem at all - don't hesitate, I want you to be very satisfied with your purchase. He looked at me with a big smile, thanked me, and said, "I really appreciate it as I don't have much money and on a really tight budget." I said you are very welcome and he went on his way.

That was the way things should go. We can treat people decently and with respect as we would want to be treated.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the add the same way Hinckley Bill did and check the guys other past adds and Xmas It was for sale and stated to someone it was 2 years old 8 flights and crashed in a tree and plane unrepairable...he also said can't post pictures but 3 other adds have pictures... . he has your negative feedback as well as his answer but don.t know why will not show up on yours...you both have good feedback don,t know which side to stand on but will say you can send picture to paypal and they will take care of it
Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Originally Posted by JWN
Moderators note: Please do NOT post specific ad or member information in the forums. It's a healthy discussion to understand that all details should be fully understood when engaging in any online transaction, but please do not post any information that calls out the specific ad or seller. Marketplace ratings belong in the marketplace only.

Yeah, because we wouldn't want to make known there was anyone with questionable selling habits on RCU, thus helping others avoid the same troubles this poor guy did. That would be against some kind of civil right or forum rule or something...

Maybe if our society (and this forum) could actually call unscrupulous vendors / traders to the carpet there would be less threads and stories like this? Why is it the dirt ball ALWAYS gets protected in some foolish way???
Old 02-28-2014, 12:00 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct...everything on the internet is true. Accusations, excuses, I've been ripped off, you've been ripped off, we've all been ripped off stories are all true.

Kurt
Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

So you are allowed to voice your opinion, but not the guy who had troubles with a vendor? Hmmmmmmm....
Old 02-28-2014, 03:16 AM
Luchnia

Originally Posted by vega406
I found the add the same way Hinckley Bill did and check the guys other past adds and Xmas It was for sale and stated to someone it was 2 years old 8 flights and crashed in a tree and plane unrepairable...he also said can't post pictures but 3 other adds have pictures... . he has your negative feedback as well as his answer but don.t know why will not show up on yours...you both have good feedback don,t know which side to stand on but will say you can send picture to paypal and they will take care of it
You are correct there is really no way to know which side to stand on as it is my word against his and all we have are the feedbacks from other marketplace users. I just posted this for public awareness to help others when they buy items and let them make up their minds to the best way to buy something. It was more of a buyer beware/caution post. As I mentioned, no one else may ever have any problems with the fellow at all. I am sure this was probably a one time event, or I certainly hope so. The deal was just sour from the beginning and I knew something was up after his first emails to me was so snide, vague, and short.

Vega, how did you find that the engine was two years old 8 flights and crashed? That would have made a big difference to me in the purchase and would even have made sense as to why he would not verify where he bought the engine. Also that makes sense as to why the muffler was bent. I would not have put a bid in on it if that were the case as it was definitely misrepresented. I did not find anything like that anywhere when I saw the add or looked up his reviews. I would love to know how to research that far back on something for future reference.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:47 AM
Luchnia

Originally Posted by vega406
I found the add the same way Hinckley Bill did and check the guys other past adds and Xmas
Nevermind! I found it. It was listed for 200.00 and he could not sell it....DANG....if I would have done a search under his name I would have found out this engine was 2 YEARS OLD and in a crashed plane! So my hunches were right about this guy! I knew deep inside something was wrong, but could never figure it out. WOW...."almost new" sort of goes out the window on this one doesn't it! Two years old ain't almost new.

I also found the DLE 20 he sold and now it all makes sense. He put the DLE 30 ignition with the DLE 20 and sent that off and then put the DLE 20 ignition in the box and shipped to me thinking I would just go off quietly accepting the old ignition. OR he had an old DLE 20 ignition laying around and shipped that. Wow....totally wild now that I did the research.

This was a great lesson for me. I do have a question when thinking about all this, why should not folks like this be marked for others to see? We all work together and when someone is crooked like this, mis-representing their items, others should know about it so they can either avoid the person or buy knowing it is a higher level of risk involved. I am glad my gutt feeling was right on this one! Thanks big time vegas, that was a huge help to my conscience!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nevermind! I found it. It was listed for 200.00 and he could not sell it....DANG....if I would have done a search under his name I would have found out this engine was 2 YEARS OLD and in a crashed plane! So my hunches were right about this guy! I knew deep inside something was wrong, but could never figure it out. WOW...."almost new" sort of goes out the window on this one doesn't it! Two years old ain't almost new.

I also found the DLE 20 he sold and now it all makes sense. He put the DLE 30 ignition with the DLE 20 and sent that off and then put the DLE 20 ignition in the box and shipped to me thinking I would just go off quietly accepting the old ignition. OR he had an old DLE 20 ignition laying around and shipped that. Wow....totally wild now that I did the research.

This was a great lesson for me. I do have a question when thinking about all this, why should not folks like this be marked for others to see? We all work together and when someone is crooked like this, mis-representing their items, others should know about it so they can either avoid the person or buy knowing it is a higher level of risk involved. I am glad my gutt feeling was right on this one! Thanks big time vegas, that was a huge help to my conscience!
Sad that you had to find out the 'honest truth' about the item you purchased through this incident, and then digging through old ads, rather than directly from the seller himself....

Because of your negative rating, and more importantly this thread, the seller will need to work extremely hard to convince others that they too shall not suffer the same fate as you at his hands if they purchase something from him
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

For $175.00 that engine was never a good buy to start with. When you can buy a new one from Tower w/ warrenty, great service,and discount for a $100.00 more! I never buy used engines or electronics. I have too much time and money in my planes to go cheap in that area.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 AM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

now that you have seen what I see I would go farther and say I would side with you a lot more and buy from you for sure...the other guy can probably be trusted to a point if he had what I needed we all would take better steps thanks to you although I think you should have done us a favor a sent him the motor and see if he send money order back LOL....plus did you see where he had posted pictures on his other adds and claimed he didn't know how to download them on yours... .there was a radio on his past add yesterday with picture but it doesn't show up today RCU gremlin's I guess...
Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 AM
chopper52

I sold a JetCat Turbine on here to a Jet guy that new turbine's I had a complete overhaul done on it I then proceeded to run up to check it out before I sold it.
I was going bigger ( more pounds, thrust) I had all the prof to verify the minutes on the engine, and paper work to prove the truth.That was about a year ago.
We also talked on the phone together That there is where you both can get a gut feeling about each other..Moral of this story, is do your Investigation on people
before a transaction.... PS. buy the way the guy that bought my turbine is still a happy camper, there are still some good people out there.......
Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Luchnia

Originally Posted by chopper52
I sold a JetCat Turbine on here to a Jet guy that new turbine's I had a complete overhaul done on it I then proceeded to run up to check it out before I sold it.
I was going bigger ( more pounds, thrust) I had all the prof to verify the minutes on the engine, and paper work to prove the truth.That was about a year ago.
We also talked on the phone together That there is where you both can get a gut feeling about each other..Moral of this story, is do your Investigation on people
before a transaction.... PS. buy the way the guy that bought my turbine is still a happy camper, there are still some good people out there.......
Good points - a phone call may have done the trick, yet I really wonder whether it would or not. I did have his phone number, but we were communicating through email and really did not see the need. Hindsight is always amazing at how you may have done things differently.

I do fault the guy some for mis-representing the engine, yet it really is my problem for not being wiser about it all and I can only blame me for that. I like dealing with folks that are straight shooters and as you put it, "do your investigation". I prefer to walk away from a deal knowing we are both on the same page about it no matter what. This particular seller and I are definitely not on the same page

I don't hold any ill will to him, I don't expect to ever deal with him again as I think he is shady, and I will let others know about the deal and they can make an informed decision.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Good points - a phone call may have done the trick, yet I really wonder whether it would or not. I did have his phone number, but we were communicating through email and really did not see the need. Hindsight is always amazing at how you may have done things differently.

I do fault the guy some for mis-representing the engine, yet it really is my problem for not being wiser about it all and I can only blame me for that. I like dealing with folks that are straight shooters and as you put it, "do your investigation". I prefer to walk away from a deal knowing we are both on the same page about it no matter what. This particular seller and I are definitely not on the same page

I don't hold any ill will to him, I don't expect to ever deal with him again as I think he is shady, and I will let others know about the deal and they can make an informed decision.
Luchnia - Some ways back in the thread you stated you had a bad vibe or "gut feeling" about the deal from the git go. I've made many internet deals, and likely avoided some disasters due to that "gut feel". I have no way of knowing that it ever prevented a bad deal, or cost me a good deal, but "listening" to that gut feeling has helped, I believe.

Emails, ratings, other buyers/sellers - no matter - if the bell is ringing, the deal don't happen.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:25 AM
Luchnia

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Luchnia - Some ways back in the thread you stated you had a bad vibe or "gut feeling" about the deal from the git go. I've made many internet deals, and likely avoided some disasters due to that "gut feel". I have no way of knowing that it ever prevented a bad deal, or cost me a good deal, but "listening" to that gut feeling has helped, I believe.

Emails, ratings, other buyers/sellers - no matter - if the bell is ringing, the deal don't happen.
You know the old saying, "I knew better" I was sick with the flue and not using good judgment at the time. I got the got feeling after I had made the offer and read some of his email replies, but once that engine came and the guy was unwilling to work with me was when I should have went on my PayPal and filed the dispute ASAP. Good old gut feeling is just plain solid about 99% of the time and I knew that. I cannot remember my gut hunches ever leading me wrong. It was always when I went against them that I made a mistake.

You know it is weird but I have the same thing about people. I can be around a person or a group of people for a while and when my gut says watch a certain person carefully, then about 9 times out of 10 something is up. Have you ever noticed that when your "bell rings"? It is almost uncanny and my wife is often amazed at it. I think good discernment will show us a lot about deals, but we have to remember we only have so much info on RCU Market Place and that is not much to go on.

Vegas and Bill led me to something in this thread that will greatly help me. It never dawned on me I could search back by the person's name and see all of the deals he/she has made. That is a great tool for buyers and sellers. If I had of done that I would have seen the discrepancies/falsehoods this guy was posting. I had no clue the engine was 2 years old and would have immediately moved on if I had of known that. Hey, you live and learn! I am thankful to have the RC communities sharing knowledge.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Luchnia

Status update - I was able to pull the muffler off and get it cleaned up then straightened out with a swaging tool. I got it looking good now. I put some stainless standoff screws and also inspected the cylinder as best I could through the muffler hole. I did not pull the jug off the engine yet, but just looking through the exhaust it is not too bad. I think the engine itself is ok. Crank bearings feel alright without doing a visable inspection. I plan to get the jug off soon, but we are expecting bad weather here and I am not sure how soon I will get it checked out. I don't want to put too much time in it as I am trying to get a new DLE 55 on my EF 300 while the weather is bad

Here is the funny thing though. I also noticed on the old DLE ignition that there was a piece of mounting rubber taped on the bottom of it which is much like I use, however I removed the scotch tape and guess what? The ignition is missing the factory backplate! LOL....I just chuckled at that point. It won't hurt anything really, but goes to show why the guy did not want to take care of it.

I laced the ignition lead with silicon strapping that I had on hand and I plan to use it on my 20cc profile so it will get used and all is not lost. The only thing is the timing curve on these can stink big time on a profile. I will test it out and see what I think. .