Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I Am Sick!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it weren't for building during the Winter, I would go nuts !

It was -16 F when I woke up this morning. My kitchen pipes are frozen solid.

I have a large furnace in my garage, along with a beer fridge. These allows me to build through the Winter in comfort.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_011.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1973365   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_010.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1973366  
Old 02-28-2014, 06:05 AM
siberianhusky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sympathy at all! I've been out in every bit of miserable this winter at about 2am battling frozen equipment at -30 plowing and salting all this crap! No end in sight March is going to be cold and miserable!
On call 24/7 from November 1st until April 15th.
Oh well 25$ an hour to run a plow sure beats being laid off for the winter! Only problem is I haven't had a chance to spend any of that money on new toys for the upcoming season.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by siberianhusky
No sympathy at all! I've been out in every bit of miserable this winter at about 2am battling frozen equipment at -30 plowing and salting all this crap! No end in sight March is going to be cold and miserable!
On call 24/7 from November 1st until April 15th.
Oh well 25$ an hour to run a plow sure beats being laid off for the winter! Only problem is I haven't had a chance to spend any of that money on new toys for the upcoming season.
At least I'm retired. I only go outside when I walk from the house, out to the garage. LOL

I don't get paid $25.00 an hour for it, though.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Tom thats not to bad the wife and I went for a ride in the county the other day and there was this guy knocking down the snow then using the snow blower to throw it almost straight up on top of the 6 ft plus snow banks because he couldn't throw it the with his shovel. This was a whole street just outside of Leamington Ontario.

Dennis

Name:	20140202_141702.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	1973452  

Last edited by Propworn; 02-28-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 AM
HOT COALS

GOOD VIDO GALLOPING GHOSTLER. . MY PROBLEM IS MY COWS ARE NOT THAT DUMB. I TRIED THAT A FEW YEARS BACK. THEY JUST TURN AND LAUGH AT IT. AND THE HEAD BULL STOMPED THE HECK OUT OF IT. NOTHING LEFT TO SALVAGE. GOOD SHOW MADE MY PACE MAKER RUN ON OVERTIME.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like we've got another one coming through - Titan. They're predicting another 6"~12" for us here in CT on Monday-ish. Time to top off the tractor with diesel...
Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 AM
topspin

Yeah we might get another 3 to 5" here in the mid atlantic. I bought a snow blower last summer when it was on sale. My wife thought I was crazy at the time but has since changed her mind, one of the very few times in 40 years.

Right this minute it is 21 degrees and the wind chill is around 5 or six degrees, I'm not going flying today.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=hookedonrc;11746680]........OF THIS WEATHER! Now I know you folks up North have it worse than we do. We have lived in Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, and Denver, so I have paid my cold dues, but this winter has been a real pain. My winter projects look as if they will carry over into late Spring or early Summer. The small space heater I can usually use to heat my workbench area is useless in this continuing cold, and I am dying to get out to the field. Bring on Spring.......NOW![/QUOTE

The weather isn't that bad, just head on out to the field! It's not perfect, but with a decent coat and hat it's not too bad. The bonus is that nobody else will be out there, so you'll have the field to yourself! It's supposed to be 52 today. If I didn't have to work I'd go today before the snow and ice hits on Sunday!

Call me different, but I also like to go fly on the really windy days as well. Nobody comes out, and you have the field to yourself. Plus, you get a lot of good experience as a bonus!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM
stevekott

It looks like Obama has finally accomplished something significant .. He has put an end to Global Warming.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

What a strange year- It is 55 degrees F here with very on/off light rain in Utah.

I would go flying but the winds are blowing about 35-45 mph.

Keith
Old 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM
topspin

I suppose that's nice if you live in Oregon but I am going to have to shovel another two feet of global warming off of my driveway on Monday.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Mike2735
My Feedback: (3)

The roboplow is awesome!!!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 PM
hookedonrc

bchapman, yeah, Sunday sounds like we could get ice. I would like to go out at 52 degrees, but I have run into breathing problems this year. Dr.s are not sure, but they think I might have developed asthma. Another test is scheduled for next week. Seems that the cold air is what brings it on. Well, if that is true we may have to move to Florida, or Arizona.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:17 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got this from friends in Upper Michigan this morning. Not surprised!

Name:	snow.png
Views:	65
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1973624  
Old 03-01-2014, 05:58 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

cant resist this one.... its nice warm and sunny here in Florida. Clear blue and sunny this weekend. mid 70's with a 5mph breeze right down the runway!!! My home has two extra rooms if anyone wants to visit the Ocala flying club anytime. ) lol this pic was from last weekend!! now before you boooo me, I used to be a ski racer living in Colorado for many years. So I know ALL about cold and snow. Gotta run, got good surf today! cheers and happy flying.

Name:	sparky at club.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1973658  
Old 03-01-2014, 06:13 AM
siberianhusky

Well at least I got some sleep last night, looking at 6" over the weekend, already coming down. Next sleep will probably be Monday night.
Be spending the rest of the weekend in a smelly plow truck.
I actually had to bring a loader home to move the snow banks at the end of my driveway, ran out of places to put the snow, got a hell of a mound right in the middle of my front yard, wouldn't be surprised if some of it is still there in the middle of May!
LOL wish I was making my summer wages!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:06 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Best of both worlds ... 6 months in Wisconsin 6 months in Apache Jct Arizona. Of course U have to be OLD and RETIRED first. Keep the Faith, U'll get there if U work hard save your money and don't crash too much. LOL
Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 AM
siberianhusky

No worries about retirement, well covered there! I'm a workaholic, bought my first house when I was quite young, now have a few rental properties and a cottage, run my own masonry business during the summer and plow during the winter, all big commercial stuff no driveways etc. Last 3 years been looking after all 24 public schools and the board of ed office here in town.
One of my best friends owns a paving company, we partnered up to bid the school board instead of competing against each other. We bid it under his paving company. For insurance reasons I'm his "employee" during the winter, much easier that way, less paper work than if I went at it as a sub-contractor to the paving company.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 AM
HoundDog

I feel for U UR one of these guys that will never retire ... my favorite saying is work is a 4 letter word and I can do a whole lot of nothing ... Good luck trying to retire.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:09 AM
siberianhusky

You're right, I'll never get to retire, previous generations have f***ed things up so badly non of my generation will EVER be able to actually retire. We'll spend our entire lives paying for it.
Simple fact that there will be no help at all for the elderly from the govt. when I hit that stage. CPP is a joke.
As it sits now on paper I'm worth about a million, retirement plan is to drop dead on the scaffolding as I've realized that million if I liquidate all but one of my houses still won't be enough to retire. Last month just my gas heat alone cost 450$ - average cpp payment in Canada for a single, widowed or divorced person is 747.86 a month.
Ya I see a fine retirement in my future - as long as I don't eat, drive, pay property taxes, plan on wearing clothes.......
You guys got the gold watches we get the gold showers! No pensions for us!
Old 03-01-2014, 02:44 PM
hookedonrc

Well I see that our complaints haven't helped much. Here we are on March 2nd, we have snow/sleet and ice. The temperature is 15 degrees! which is about 30 below normal. I was going to work on my latest project in the garage, but my small space heater can't keep up with this. By now, I have usually scalped our yard getting ready for the growing season........guess that will have to wait a while.

Last edited by hookedonrc; 03-02-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hows that social security treating ya? I pay more into SS than I do my 401k. And you think we are a generation of entitlement... Fam of 5, wife stays home for the kids.

Glad you like it enough to brag.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Best of both worlds ... 6 months in Wisconsin 6 months in Apache Jct Arizona. Of course U have to be OLD and RETIRED first. Keep the Faith, U'll get there if U work hard save your money and don't crash too much. LOL
Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
Hows that social security treating ya? I pay more into SS than I do my 401k. And you think we are a generation of entitlement... Fam of 5, wife stays home for the kids. Glad you like it enough to brag.
There are things that have been done by past US administrations that I do not wholeheartedly agree with and that I must indirectly participate in, such as the social retirement system in general, and that those who have not paid into it are receiving direct benefit through early supplemental payments, because they are poor. There are those who are poor who have no desire to excel in life, who are truly not whom I'd consider poor. Not being in-compassionate, there truly unfortunate out there. I speak not of those.

Since I've been paying into this social retirement system for the past almost 5 decades, (of which the recent administration has had the audacity to call it a benefit, it is only due that when my time comes, I be allowed to receive from it as well.

But hopefully I prefer to speak and hear of better things, and how our miniature aeronautical wonders, our model aeroplanes are able to take flight and escape the political undertones as they flit through the skies, how those endowed with building and finishing abilities are able to make us wonder at how they in such simple terms are able to produce such fine finishes replicating the real in such miniature, and how those with such mechanical finesse are able to squeak the last drop of petrol to cause their miniature marvels to seek the higher, wider or faster expanses of lower space.

To such are the finer parts of life, which we all can share universally no matter our backgrounds, ethnic origins, ages, or political affiliations or whatever repressive or non-repressive regimes that govern us, to truly enjoy this fleeting but en-joyous hobby of ours.

Cheers!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 AM
HoundDog

Workrd Hard 10-12 hour shifts 7 days a week Great job till the company was bought out If U can't stand the smell of the place after all those good years it time to get out. they maid an offer. 2 nights later I handed in my apron and badge Loaded the Tool Boxes in the truck and never looked back that's almost 14 years ago. Only 57 1/2 then Great job don't miss the 7 day/weak though. There aren't many opportunities like that anymore. Now I fly any day that ends in a "Y" except Rain"Y" & Wind"Y". Have a great life and make of it what U can is all I meant.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:18 AM
HoundDog

Why a location of NONE?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.