Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Troybuiltmodels just lost another customer

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Troybuiltmodels just lost another customer

Old 02-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Troybuiltmodels just lost another customer

Well i can be added to the list of screwed over tbm customers. Recently made another 10 servo order, one was dead on arrival. Granted, these are only $13 servos but I still need 10. Emailed twice asking how to exchange for a replacement, not a peep. I wouldn't even be posting this except it's already happened once before with them. Ordered 10 servos, had a bad one and that time was told " well , they're inexpensive servos, you have to expect that". I let it slide last time, not this time though. TBM can suck it. Found the same servos at value hobby.com for $1 less.

I've spent thousands with them over the years, guess I'll spent the next few thousands other places.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 AM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Screw mail order, SUPPORT your local Hobby Shop, if you no longer have one, blame yourself....
Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Mpizpilot

Originally Posted by STUKA BARRY
Screw mail order, SUPPORT your local Hobby Shop, if you no longer have one, blame yourself....

Well thanks for the insight. Didn't realize this was about the LHS. I've done my part trying to support the LHS. When you can't even pick up the basics like from fuel tubing from a LHS, it's time to move on. Maybe you can come to my town and open up a shop that will actually have some stock? I'll be happy to support you smart guy.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:14 AM
STUKA BARRY

I've had my share of bad experiences with mail order like every other modeler, Trouble with mail order, good luck getting a problem resolved. Sometimes there are honest mistakes that are corrected, but for me that was rare. In your case, a 13$ servo is causing you grief, is that worth the hassle, not to me.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot
Well i can be added to the list of screwed over tbm customers. Recently made another 10 servo order, one was dead on arrival. Granted, these are only $13 servos but I still need 10. Emailed twice asking how to exchange for a replacement, not a peep. I wouldn't even be posting this except it's already happened once before with them. Ordered 10 servos, had a bad one and that time was told " well , they're inexpensive servos, you have to expect that". I let it slide last time, not this time though. TBM can suck it. Found the same servos at value hobby.com for $1 less.

I've spent thousands with them over the years, guess I'll spent the next few thousands other places.
It does not matter if it is a 5 dollar servo or a 100 dollar servo you are still a customer and should be treated as such. I just don't understand companies today. Service is all but dead - the few that have service are a slow dying breed. What difference does it make if you bought it online, you still should get service for what you buy. As a matter of fact the service should be better because online sales don't require as much cost to operate as brick and mortar shops.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:21 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Luchnia is correct It does not matter what the cost of the component is, a customer has the right to expect customer service for any purchase. And it isn't the fact that the OP is out X amount of dollars that is causing him greif, it's that he is short one servo to finish his project than has upset him. Should he be expected to order a dozen servos when he needs 10 knowing that at least one will be DOA? As far as supporting your LHS is concerned, I think it's reasonable to believe that if we had one, most of us would. When I lived in the St. Louis area, we had several hobby shops that carried a good supply of RC stuff and we supported them. I moved here when I retired and this little town of 12,000 people, out of which there are probably 50 active RC folks, cannot support a good hobby shop. Our closest shop is in Branson, Mo, which is 95 miles one way and the only really good one is in Springfield, Mo, which is 125 miles one way. With gas at $3.50/gallon, I can't go to Branson or Springfield when I find I need a glow plug, so I am forced to buy online. Getting they guys together and taking orders from them when someone is going to Springfield is a social event in our area. Has to be that way to make it economically feasible.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Mpizpilot

Originally Posted by Luchnia
It does not matter if it is a 5 dollar servo or a 100 dollar servo you are still a customer and should be treated as such. I just don't understand companies today. Service is all but dead - the few that have service are a slow dying breed. What difference does it make if you bought it online, you still should get service for what you buy. As a matter of fact the service should be better because online sales don't require as much cost to operate as brick and mortar shops.

This is is the point and also the fact that this is the second time this has happened. It's not like I only order $13 servos, I've ordered some pretty expensive stuff from them over years.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe there needs to be a Screwed by TBM brotherhood?? Just sayin.....
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Luchnia
+1 Also I bet it would cost TBM less than ten bucks to drop a replacment servo in the mail.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by STUKA BARRY
When I started in the hobby 20 years ago there more than twice the number of local hobby shops in my area but I dont take any blame for
many of them closing. I purchase both local and online depending on my needs.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:52 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

$13.00 isn't worth much hassle, but a company's reputation is worth a hell of a lot more than that IF it's any good. TBM's reputation's value has dropped annually due to exactly this kind of B.S.
TBM told me there was NO problem with my airplane when I told them about the problem I had,(defective wings) and I told them exactly how the problem could be fixed.Two weeks later they notified buyers of the problem and detailed MY method for correcting the problem during assembly. Still, they insisted to me that there was no problem so that there was no reason to replace my wings. If anyone starts a "Screwed by TBM" brotherhood, I'll take my number now. I've earned it.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Maybe they didn't get your e-mail. I would give them a call and find out if they care about their customers.
Value Hobby is a good place to buy, but I also had a doa servo there. Since it was a $6 item, not worth shipping it back.
This can happen anywhere.
And I doubt your local hobby shop will test every servo before they sell it. You'll find out at home and
have to take it back. Since it's 50 miles from here to the next lhs, online shopping is a good option.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:52 AM
pchang

Pick up a phone, call them.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Mpizpilot

Originally Posted by pchang
Pick up a phone, call them.
Nope, I've taken enough from this company.

1.Bought a ESM BF-110. Came with a damaged horizontal stabilizer. After multiple go arounds of sending pics and arguing I got a $20 credit and had to repair myself(rebuilt the whole thing).

2. Received two spinners for the same plane, one was actually shaped wrong. Couldn't rebuild that could I? Guess what they did? Nothing.

3. Canister muffler purchased that looked like it was beat with a bat. Was told it doesn't matter because you won't see it. No resolution

4. Two dead servos, told its they're cheap and to expect it, second one no response.

Why should I have to defend myself here when all I did was make a purchase?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 AM
pchang

I guess, you are right,buy from someone else.
Tower or Horizon.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

1.Bought a ESM BF-110. Came with a damaged horizontal stabilizer. After multiple go arounds of sending pics and arguing I got a $20 credit and had to repair myself(rebuilt the whole thing).

2. Received two spinners for the same plane, one was actually shaped wrong. Couldn't rebuild that could I? Guess what they did? Nothing.

3. Canister muffler purchased that looked like it was beat with a bat. Was told it doesn't matter because you won't see it. No resolution

4. Two dead servos, told its they're cheap and to expect it, second one no response.

FWIW, IMHO, you do **NOT** need to defend yourself on this forum, or any other, when any business puts the hard one to you....price, nationality, reputation simply should not matter - a business SHOULD treat it's customers as if they would like return sales.
Believe it or not, good service is still out there - it just seems to be nearly extinct in our little segment of capitalism.
On ebay last week, I bought a printer cartridge...it was DOA. ONE message to seller, and replacement was shipped with a return mailer for the DOA....US Shipper/supplier, MY cost of transaction - $3.25.....a good example of it's the BUSINESS OWNERS' philosophy that drives their treatment of people who buy stuff from them, nothing else.

If anything, (and I am also a FORMER TBM customer/abuse victim), the only issue I'd question in your situation would be why you went back there multiple times....I've adopted a very strict "ONE CHANCE" online buying philosophy in the hobby. There are just too many competitors to choose from for alternate sources.

TBM needs to get the hard one back at 'em somehow....
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Luchnia

I agree with Bob, you don't have to defend yourself to anyone here. The servos alone would be all that is needed. I simply don't understand why folks think we have to accept defective parts when we are purchasing something! Boggles the mind, do we accept a car that has a bad engine and won't start, a fridge that won't cool, a heater that won't heat? You had a bad servo and should be NO problem with this getting resolved. You bought brand new items and that is that. TBM should send out your part and done. You have went the extra mile with these guys by doing what you were supposed to do on your side.

When I read item number 3, I could not believe it! If you had tried to sell that to someone how would they feel about a beat up canister, hidden or not? I hear guys say they buy an ARF and have to almost rebuild it - how is that acceptable? The parts are wrong, the wings won't fit, it is the wrong color, etc. If we don't start standing up for this type of thing, we can expect more "shafting" down the road. Our society has almost gotten to where you have to buy two of everything to have a back up!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

The only thing to buy from Troy Built is a roto tiller. At least they work!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As a former hobby shop owner I can say that most people don't realize that it costs money to provide customer service. The constant quest for the absolute lowest price has reduced profits to the point of being destructive to the concept of customer service.

Although there are some people that will happily pay a bit more for products to insure adequate profits and customer support, the reality is their numbers are too few. Most people are cheapskates!

We have ourselves to blame for poor products AND poor service, don't blame the retailer. I guarantee if TBM made 40% on that servo they would be happy to replace it.

This is one of the reasons for MAP pricing, (minimum advertised pricing) in this and other consumer product markets. It provides a guaranteed profit margin to the retailer so that hopefully he will provide a level of customer support for those products.

When it comes to servos I buy Hitec exclusively. They support their product, but the servos do cost a few dollars more. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by 049flyer; 03-02-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Pete Lane
My Feedback: (3)

" Give the hard one back to TBM brotherhood "

They actually owe you 3 new servos......2 were defective and one for the PITA.
Surprised they didn't say some thing like " Just be glad it didn't die in the air " .
Thanks for the heads up sir, no funds going their direction from me.......Yelp........ Karma's a byotch !.

Pete Lane
Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 AM
bpoates25

Sad to say, but customer service has been all but forgotten in our society. It's almost a thing of the past. Last month I did have a wonderful experience with Tower Hobbies. I bought one of the small gel cell batteries for my starter. When I got it it was dead, and I charged it, and it was still dead. Sent an email to Tower explaining the situation, and within hours received a reply telling me a new battery was on the way, and don't send the bad one back. They also extended sincere apologies and appreciation for me being a customer. That is how customer service is supposed to be. I hope you have better luck with whomever you decide to do business with in the future.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 AM
acerc

The prior post is an example of the following post.

Last edited by acerc; 03-02-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by 049flyer
As a former hobby shop owner I can say that most people don't realize that it costs money to provide customer service. The constant quest for the absolute lowest price has reduced profits to the point of being destructive to the concept of customer service.

Although there are some people that will happily pay a bit more for products to insure adequate profits and customer support, the reality is their numbers are too few. Most people are cheapskates!

We have ourselves to blame for poor products AND poor service, don't blame the retailer. I guarantee if TBM made 40% on that servo they would be happy to replace it.

This is one of the reasons for MAP pricing, (minimum advertised pricing) in this and other consumer product markets. It provides a guaranteed profit margin to the retailer so that hopefully he will provide a level of customer support for those products.

When it comes to servos I buy Hitec exclusively. They support their product, but the servos do cost a few dollars more. You get what you pay for.

This is only partially true, being a business owner myself, CS can build a base supportive of profitability at very little to no cost to the business. Where the real problem comes in to play is when a business buys equipment from a supplier with no supplier support. If I as a business owner buy from a supplier with no support guess what you are going to get. But, I, being a good business owner buy from a supplier with a guarantee and that is what my customers receive, a guarantee. Only occasionally do I have to eat something for some reason. There are more than enough people in this hobby to support descent to high quality products thus there are quality companies to buy from such as Tru-Turn, Desert Aircraft, etc. etc. One just has to do a little homework before purchasing from an unknown to them outlet. In my 40+ years of being in this hobby TBM was and is the only company that I lost out to poor CS, but I kinda knew it before hand and took a shot on a less expensive item. Won't happen again!!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by 049flyer

I think most people do realize that nothing is free and it would cost a few bucks for TBM to pull a servo from stock and ship it out, Likewise they
would have to contact their supplier and request a new servo and maybe return the defective one and that costs but is still no excuse for not
taking care of their customer.

Last edited by ira d; 03-02-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 AM
SigMan

i bought 4 HD-1501MG's from them a few months back and im still a little afraid to put them in a Gas plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.