Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Home Owners Insurance!!!!!!!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Home Owners Insurance!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Home Owners Insurance!!!!!!!

My home owners insurance came up for renewal so when I received the policy I read it over. Under exclusions they specificly mention model airplanes. Looking up last years policy this is new as is the wording for the whole section under exclusions.

Just a heads up for those whose home insurance has come up for renewal. Read the actual policy where it spells out specifically what is excluded. I have had insurance with the same company for years and even had a claim involving my RC planes that were in the van at the time. I never had a concern before but this year while I was looking through the exclusions I found new wording that excluded motorized conveyances that traveled in excess of 8 km per hour, such as lawnmowers, ebikes, kids riding toys, also included were hobbies and toys that exceeded 8 km per hour and it mentioned model aircraft specifically. I contacted my agent and we are working on getting my models included for loss only. I have had to write a letter stating I was only interested in coverage for loss such as fire and theft and I had specific liability coverage when I was using them. They also wanted to know if I expected coverage for loss of the model in the event of an incident while I was flying it. The answer of course was no but yes if I was transporting my models to and from the field inside my vehicle or trailer. I provided a copy of the MAAC insurance certificate from the MAAC web site and a photocopy of my yearly membership showing I am a member in good standing.
They also wanted to know if I made money with my hobby and if I was paid or would win prize money in any of the events/contests I have or will attend.
Apparently they have become very concerned with the liability of anything that can travel in access of 8 kms per hour if it’s not covered under a specific policy. Ebikes were mentioned as an example.
To those flying outside the AMA/MAAC umbrella and if you are depending on your house policy for your insurance you might want to check the new policy to see if the hobby has been excluded. For those members within AMA/MAAC it’s a general exclusion so at this time as my agent interprets it my stuff would not be covered in case of loss from fire or theft. It does not mention anything about modeling support equipment like chargers, radios, batteries etc. just model airplanes so the support equipment would be covered as it’s not specifically excluded.
Like I said this is the first time I noticed this it might be only the odd insurance company. Keep an eye on yours for changes. Be proactive don’t wait until you need it to find out you do not have coverage.

Dennis Pratt
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In general, insurance companies like to reduce risk any way they can. Eliminating coverage at policy renewal is one of the many methods used.
(And, naturally burying the changes in the middle of coverage details.) Usually, no change summary was included.
Liability and coverage concerns for model aircraft was undoubtedly caused by the on going UAV/FPV/Drone debate.
I can remember when motorcycle insurance coverage and full size rental aircraft liability coverage were the subject of similar reductions in coverage.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why I belong to the AMA.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by topspin
Not concerned with liability, in Canada we have 7.5 million coverage in first party liability. We don't even have to go to our home owners first like the AMA which is 3rd party. The exclusion is a blanket exclusion or for all perils which excludes fire, theft etc. Does the AMA cover you for fire and theft? If not and this is under exclusions in your home owners policy your probably not covered as well. It’s only a heads up I don't know if other insurance companies have this in their policy’s or not. I read my policy and this is the first time model aircraft have been targeted specifically. I feel this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Dennis
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish AMA had coverage as good as MAAC
Old 03-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I wish AMA had coverage as good as MAAC
Just to be clear our MAAC insurance only covers liability not fire or theft that is why when they want to eliminate that from my house policy it worry's me greatly.

Dennis
Old 03-11-2014, 06:18 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I should have my models excluded from my homeowners policy-the deductible is quite high if I should slap your car with my model thru homeowners policy. I guess that would.
make the AMA liability primary and I do not think the deductible is that high and also no risk of homeowners rates increasing due to claim.

What do you think?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 AM
beepee

Me no expert, but isn't liability coverage outside the deductible?

Bedford
Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Yes sir it is on my homeowner policy-the deductible is over $3000.00-If I did not own my home then the way I understand it-falls back on my AMA with a considerable less deductible since it would be primary carrier at that time
Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Propworn
Just to be clear our MAAC insurance only covers liability not fire or theft that is why when they want to eliminate that from my house policy it worry's me greatly.

Dennis
Two things come to mind here. Find out the exclusions the AMA will not cover like flying from public or private lands without prior aproval and things like that. The second one is AMA insurance is not primary so you have to apply to any liabilty insurance you carry first once they turn you down then my understanding is AMA becomes the insurer. Realise even though your insurance did not pay out you still had to file a claim and your insurance may indeed go up. I was told by the insurance agent even if you paid the claim yourself if you reported it to the company it still counts against you. Sad but true.

Dennis
Old 03-14-2014, 03:18 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Funny thing; I read my homeowner's policy and they specifically state that they cover model airplanes, as long as they don't carry people!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Propworn

That's great enjoy it while you can mine made no mention at all the previous year which means they were not excluded. This year they are. The insurance broker is still working with them to see if they can be covered or I have the option of going with another company without penalty as they did not inform me of the change until I received the new policy and had paid in full. Hoping to get an answer by Monday.

Dennis
Old 03-16-2014, 06:16 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Me too. But I get discriminated against because I'm a home owner. I'm required to use my insurance first, while non homeowners get a free pass. I also don't get a discounted AMA membership because I'm a homeowner. Just doesn't seem fair and just IMO.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Propworn

Default Home Owners Insurance Resolution No Liabilty Coverage.

I am passing this on from personal experience with my home owners
insurance. You must read your insurance policy to see if the company
that provides your insurance has incorporated under exclusions this
new subsection.

Not covered hobbies and toys that exceed 8 kilometers per hour
including model airplanes.

The wording does not differentiate between the exclusion being just
for liability or loss through fire or theft it simply says they are
not covered period. This is new this year for me and was put into the
policy without any notice. You might want to check yours. Don't
depend on the typed policy you get from your agent ask to see the
detailed policy.

It would seem the insurance companies are very concerned with the
liability associated with the new level of so called toys that are
coming on the market. There are kids vehicles that are electric and
gas powered that can travel much faster than in the past. The ebike
surge and the flying toys that have been in the news lately as well
as the many videos on the internet highlighting some pretty
irresponsible behavior.

My agent was unaware of the position the company had taken and
contacted them on my behalf. When she explained about my models, my
association with M.A.A.C. and the liability coverage provided they
were not aware of our organization at all. She helped me prepare a
letter explaining I was only interested that my insurance covered my
hobby for loss through fire, theft etc. that I by belonging to
M.A.A.C. provided my own liability coverage. I included a link to the
M.A.A.C. web site for reference as well as copies of the insurance
information on the web site.

It took four weeks but I finally received an answer in my favor. No
liability coverage but full coverage for loss all other perils under
my house insurance without having to purchase extra coverage.

I have rc boats and cars and these indeed fall under toys I am told so there
is no liability coverage on these as well.

Dennis Pratt
M.A.A.C 52262L

Last edited by Propworn; 03-22-2014 at 07:24 AM.