Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Anyone Enjoy Thier Hobby At Work?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Anyone Enjoy Thier Hobby At Work?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Anyone Enjoy Thier Hobby At Work?

life is good, its Saturday, I'm working an overtime day and so far this morning I have had 4 full flights on my little quadcopter. Indoor flying at its best lots of height and lots of room with no air gusts and not having to share the airspace.

Dennis
Old 03-11-2014, 01:14 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mean enjoying the hobby while you are "supposed" to be at work......... Good luck with getting anyone to admit it.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Propworn

Hey I am machine repair when I work the company is loosing money. If everything is running that means I have done my job well and the company is making product and money.

Dennis
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get paid for screwing off at work....? COOL
Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
life is good, its Saturday, I'm working an overtime day and so far this morning I have had 4 full flights on my little quadcopter. Indoor flying at its best lots of height and lots of room with no air gusts and not having to share the airspace.

Dennis
I spent 3 years in a job where I was paid to be on standby 24/7. The requirement was to be ready for work within 1 hour of notice.

Fortunately it never came to that and I usually had more than 72 hours pre notice.

On average I was required 4 to 5 days per month, It was during the other 25 days per month "standby time" that I flew thousands of RC flights, sometimes more than 20 flights every day.

Does that count as flying during work? I guess so as I was being paid to be on standby.

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-12-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:48 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I spent 3 years in a job where I was paid to be on standby 24/7. The requirement was to be ready for work within 1 hour of notice.

Fortunately it never came to that and I usually had more than 72 hours pre notice.

On average I was required 4 to 5 days per month, It was during the other 25 days per month "standby time" that I flew thousands of RC flights, sometimes more than 20 flights every day.

Does that count as flying during work? I guess so as I was being paid to be on standby.
Most certainly. I don't get quite that much time but I get enough to keep it interesting.

Dennis
Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've built, sanded and painted at work. We've got a huge open warehouse where I've flown planes and heli's inside of it. One of my jobs I had a lot of time sitting on my butt but as long as the machine was running and somebody there was watching it, the management didn't care. Went it went down though we'd bust our tushies to get it up and running again.
Doing nothing, the company was making money. When we worked they weren't.
At one time some guys had set up an RC car track and would work on or race their cars during their shift. They worked the 11-7 shift and there's not much management there at those hours.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
I've built, sanded and painted at work. We've got a huge open warehouse where I've flown planes and heli's inside of it. One of my jobs I had a lot of time sitting on my butt but as long as the machine was running and somebody there was watching it, the management didn't care. Went it went down though we'd bust our tushies to get it up and running again.
Doing nothing, the company was making money. When we worked they weren't.
At one time some guys had set up an RC car track and would work on or race their cars during their shift. They worked the 11-7 shift and there's not much management there at those hours.
Like being a fireman, if they are all fast asleep while at work, everybody is happy.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well now, not only do I get to do my RC stuff at work, I also get to do RCU stuff at work, and to top it all off I get to sleep with the boss!!!! But then again I'm self employed. I own a small business with my wife. When I have time I do get to do my RCU stuff here at work and I also get to do my RC stuff here at the office.

Ken
Old 03-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, not exactly my hobby but I did work as a professional architectural / topographical model maker for a decade and got paid to build models, just not airplane models. As duplicating things in miniature is absolutely fascinating to me it was just like getting paid to play and 99% of the time I woke up and couldn't wait to get to work. The biggest drawback was the deadlines, lots and lost of (usually rediculous) deadlines. There were many, many 12-14-16+ hour days but I didn't even mind those most of the time. I consider myself very blessed to have been able to make a pretty decent living doing something I really enjoyed. Maybe I'll get to do it again the future.

Last edited by Chad Veich; 03-15-2014 at 04:28 PM.