Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

This could lead to a ban on drones by non licensed users

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

This could lead to a ban on drones by non licensed users

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Herbs_007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This could lead to a ban on drones by non licensed users

http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...-1226865255571

Once again a goose sees fit to risk the lives of people for a bit of fun. Small problem CASA Aus's governing body are looking at banning drones/fpv's for the average Joe unless you have a special type of licence(work related only), this will only help make up their minds!! This has come about with drones been used in the wrong airspace, above height restrictions, spying on people, and spying on court cases(hovering outside a window and listening to the court proceedings).

Last edited by Herbs_007; 03-25-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Herbs_007
http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...-1226865255571

Once again a goose sees fit to risk the lives of people for a bit of fun. Small problem CASA Aus's governing body are looking at banning drones/fpv's for the average Joe unless you have a special type of licence(work related only), this will only help make up their minds!! This has come about with drones been used in the wrong airspace, above height restrictions, spying on people, and spying on court cases(hovering outside a window and listening to the court proceedings).
I think the problem here is education.

Anyone can walk into a store and buy a quad that requires no flying skill to put into the air.

Educating people on the regulations should start at the point of sale as these new people may have no previous exposure to RC and no idea of the regulations. I see it all the time on the Quad forums when people post high altitude flight videos in close proximity to airports.

Australian Regulations here.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...101/101c03.pdf

The FAA regulations have been posted on this site many times also.

I am going to speak to the Hobbystore owners I know and tell them to advise people of the regulations when they sell anything capable of flying above 400 feet.

As a modelling community it will help if we take a proactive approach to the education of others.

Email your online suppliers and tell them to post the regulations on their website, speak to your local hobby shop to do the same.

It is actually in their own best interest (and everybody else's) to prevent incidents like this.

We should all do our part to help educate others without being condescending or overly critical of an honest mistake.

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-26-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's also on the manufacturers. The couple multirotor user manuals I've looked at make no more mention of cautions or proper use than those for the typical home appliance.

Last edited by Hemikiller; 03-27-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 AM
topspin

It's true the manufacturers of most of the cheap quads don't stress safe operation. I bought a small one for my nephew and it doesn't say anything about safety, no mention at all. The hellicopter incident is one of those that makes you think what could have happened. It seems to be a growing problem as these things become more accessable and less expensive. with the potential to case real harm (like the helicopter incident) maybe there really does need to be some sort of licensing for hobbyists to operate these things.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

How did the heli crew determine it was a drone and not a small aircraft or ultralight? I wonder if it had standard aircraft lights (unusual for a drone), or LED-type hobby lights.
Too bad they didn't pass over it. No quad or fixed-wing drone could cope with their rotor wash.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by eddieC
How did the heli crew determine it was a drone and not a small aircraft or ultralight? I wonder if it had standard aircraft lights (unusual for a drone), or LED-type hobby lights.
Too bad they didn't pass over it. No quad or fixed-wing drone could cope with their rotor wash.
Having spent 13 years in a Police Helicopter unit in both seats, (Pilot & Observer roles) it is actually very easy to see objects at night. (at least it was before I hit the late 40's)

We used to see bats flying around often.

Of course it depends on whether the quad had lights, but one of the most popular ready to fly models. (Blade 350QX) lights up like a Christmas Tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwoT5NRycTY

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-28-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:21 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately this issue is not limited to one type of aircraft. The issue is throughout the full span of our hobby. I personally can envision the day we will be required to have a license (similar to hunting and fishing) and be a member of an organization and or club. Which is fine with me being as I am already, excluding the license, and would have no problem with a license system similar to the others mentioned. There are too many people with absolutely no idea of, what is what, buying these toys and flying them in all sorts of dangerous and reckless manners.

Its only a matter of time!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:23 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Kind of like the thread right after this one about the quad copters record altitude flight.

Greg
Old 03-30-2014, 08:07 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OldRookie
Kind of like the thread right after this one about the quad copters record altitude flight.

Greg
Hi Greg ,

Good Observation ! I have posted in that thread about the FAA's position with regards to the height allowed for model planes and have folks who think that I either made that up myself or am reading it wrong . Bottom line = I am NOT the FAA and their AC 91-57 is most clear , NO model planes over 400 feet . Now , untill that gets (hopefully) changed when the dust settles from all this "UAS" stuff , I can't see where anyone in their right mind would go admitting , much less advertising , that their model plane or quad was up that high . When full scale has to take evasive action for a model is when there is NO more proof needed that the model is in the wrong place . It never ceases to amaze me that there are folks stupid enough to think their toy has some "right" to be wherever it's battery pack has juice to take it , regardless of the safety of those who DO have the right to be there !

And one other thought , that while not exactly "politically correct" , IS the truth no matter who does or don't like it ;

The availability of cheap RC toys that can hit those heights is now SO great that there are bound to be a few morons who get their hands on em and end up causing some mayhem . In the past , only folks with either lots of money to buy or lots of brains to build were the owners of such toys , and the money or brains crew were both smart enough to stay out of trouble with them by NOT flying around full scale . Today's quickie mart instant aviator idiot WANTS to post videos on the net "Hey look , you can see right into the window of that jet I'm chasin" and it's no wonder we keep hearing stories of full scale having to take evasive action for toys . It truly IS only a matter of time till one of these encounters gets ugly .....