Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Never Buy a Hanger 9 product again!!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Never Buy a Hanger 9 product again!!

Old 03-09-2014, 02:08 PM
markesorrells
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never Buy a Hanger 9 product again!!

My son crashed our favorite Hanger 9 Otter today after an engine failure. Tried to find a replacement fuselage but they no longer make the Otter and do not have the replacement parts. If they are going to drop planes every couple of years for something "new"...then they just do a disservice to their previous customers!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 02:19 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by markesorrells
My son crashed our favorite Hanger 9 Otter today after an engine failure. Tried to find a replacement fuselage but they no longer make the Otter and do not have the replacement parts. If they are going to drop planes every couple of years for something "new"...then they just do a disservice to their previous customers!!!
Um , Mark , Get a grip , dude , these are hobby toys were talkin here , yes ? Just how long should a company be expected to provide a full line of replacement parts for every ARF it's ever sold ? Sure , you may get "cradle to grave" service on things like cars or large appliances , but toys ? Really ? The one and only true MODELER'S solution here would be to draw up a set of plans , bust out the balsa and handsaws , and have at makin a replacement the old fashioned way we built em back in the days before folks were able to get all indignant over the lack of pre built toys ...

Good Luck .....
Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 PM
sierracharlie
My Feedback: (21)

Love my Hangar 9's would not give them up for anything. For the sport flyer they are one of the best built ARF kits available.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:22 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

What I would like to see is when the manufacturer discontinues an ARF that they offer the plans for people who would like to build the plane or repair an existing one.

Mark, your not going to find the other manufacturers any different, so I wouldn't be so hard on H9.

Last edited by tacx; 03-09-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:44 AM
markesorrells
My Feedback: (4)

init4fun, I agree that these are toys as we have totaled two $4,000 jets in the past year alone. It's just he really loved this plane and the frustration of not finding one or a fuse. for sale really sucks!.....I like the idea if the manufactures would release builder plans after the parts supply had dried up!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 AM
init4fun

init4fun, I agree that these are toys as we have totaled two $4,000 jets in the past year alone. It's just he really loved this plane and the frustration of not finding one or a fuse. for sale really sucks!.....I like the idea if the manufactures would release builder plans after the parts supply had dried up!
Hi Mark , This is the BEST idea to come from this thread , that once an ARF does go out of production and all the spare parts have dried up , The manufacturer then goes and releases the plans so the folks can make their own parts in the future . Kudos to both you and Tacx for thinking of it and I wonder if the likes of Horizon and Hobbico would go for it ? I think that if they have no future interest in producing something , and it would benefit their existing customers , it would be a nice simple gesture to do this . I can't see any "intellectual property" problems since these ARFs are all pretty much made in the same factories overseas anyway , and I doubt they would be subject to "knock offs" like Rolex watches and pricey Woman's handbags (Prada) ... It sure would save time in the rebuilding process if ya didn't have to draw up your own fuselage and could instead just begin cutting parts using the original set of plans it was built from in the first place .
Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

:-D good idea in theory, but I can't believe it will ever happen....
imagine: you're a manufacturer with a design that's ready to be sent out to pasture... you're not making the airplane anymore because it's not selling (it's not profitable) so you discontinue it.
THEN you're going to spend the cash to create a set of builder's plans (which likely don't exist) .... ?

I DO feel your pain though, particularly that a great airplane is no more. not fun at all.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
:-D good idea in theory, but I can't believe it will ever happen....
imagine: you're a manufacturer with a design that's ready to be sent out to pasture... you're not making the airplane anymore because it's not selling (it's not profitable) so you discontinue it.
THEN you're going to spend the cash to create a set of builder's plans (which likely don't exist) .... ?

I DO feel your pain though, particularly that a great airplane is no more. not fun at all.
Hi Jim , I'll bet if it was put to them in a way that they could see a small profit from a "dead" product , they might just consider it ? My thought would be that of course they wouldn't just GIVE the plans away , but if I were in Mark's situation , I know I'd be willin to pay a small , fair , fee for the plans . Who knows , maybe a deal whereby they would be available for download for $9.95 or something similar ? The modeler gets his plans and the company gets not only a few dollars but also the goodwill of helping out someone who has already $pent their hobby dollars with them . Sounds like a win win to me
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM
34th B-1Bcc
My Feedback: (15)

Just wondering if you tried E-Bay for spare parts. I was shocked on two occasions to find older parts for planes a few years out of production there fairly reasonable.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
[email protected]

i buy my planes at rc swap meets fix them up like new>> bought 2 120 size space walkers 10.00 each>> took 1/2 hr to fix each like new>> other planes also>> try it sometime
Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, another hobbyist that is displeased with Hangar 9 products.

Have to agree, but that will be the length of my comment about Hangar 9 products. As I am tired of folks on this forum jumping down my throat for voicing my displeasure with certain products.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 PM
topspin

A few years ago I flew my SIG Rascal 40 through a tree and It busted the wing up pretty good. I could have bought a new wing from SIG but it was easier to remove the covering and repair the one I had. I also made it a bit stronger by replacing the fiberglass wing spar with carbon fiber. I recovered it and while I was not able to get the blue covering that they used Monokote came close enough that you probably wouldn't notice. Most of the time, for me anyway, it's more fun to repair stuff than it is to buy it.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry about your misshap

I like Hanger 9 top product and I hear what you say but with so many ARFs around it would be easyer to select a new design and have more fun. This is why I like the Hanger 9 product.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	1979484   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	1979485  
Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Why are you singling out Hanger 9?? you're going to have to swear off ARFs all together,,

Learn to scratch build,, that 's the only way to ever guarantee you be able to have the plane you want
Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 AM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to say I like their quality, subjects, and service, but I too do not, or should I say cannot, buy their products because they just do not leave them on the market very long.

Last edited by scottrc; 03-19-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by scottrc
I have to say I like their quality, subjects, and service, but I too do not, or should I say cannot, buy their products because they just do not leave them on the market very long.

I gotta think that the time offered is in direct relation to the profitability of each plane . Supposing it costs a certain amount to have the factory do a run of let's say Twin Otters , and being a new plane everybody's just GOTTA have one . So the first few thousand or so of em sell like hotcakes and H9 makes a nice return on it's investment . Subsequent runs don't sell as well cause , well , it ain't the latest and greatest shiny new RC bling , so they order less to be made cause less are selling . Eventually , except for a few who REALLY loved the design the sales dwindle to the point of not being able to sell enough of em to justify the factory time to produce the order . I couldn't blame any company who would eventually stop supporting something that had become no longer profitable . Had the Otter developed it's own "cult following" like , for instance the Sig Spacewalker , well then you can bet demand would have kept the supply side happy and producing nice new Otters for years to come .

PS , I miss the resounding "CLUNK !" as an eight track changed tracks too , but lack of demand kinda did them in as well

Last edited by init4fun; 03-19-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:05 PM
scottrc

Their business model works for them, and that is great, however, it doesn't meet my time frame to purchase a product.

I really like the new 30cc Spitfire, but am really hesitant to plunk down that kind of change knowing that this company has a track record or not being able to support replacement parts and killing the product within a year of release. Again don't get me wrong, I am not knocking H9, they have the best customer service and they make great products, its just that they have too short of production runs. Again, it keeps them competitive and works for them, just not me, which is how the free market operates.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:04 PM
falcon_56

My technique is, if I really love the plane buy spare parts or even a second plane as reserve.

I understand ARFs are built in batches. Once demand goes down, they stop production for good and deplete what is left in stock.

It is unfortunate the kit business is practically dead. This was how it was possible to resurrect crashed planes after discontinuation.

With laser cutting and computerized manufacturing processes, you would think kits would be available that are easy to build due perfectly cut parts...

Last edited by falcon_56; 03-19-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 AM
scottrc

Originally Posted by falcon_56
My technique is, if I really love the plane buy spare parts or even a second plane as reserve.

I understand ARFs are built in batches. Once demand goes down, they stop production for good and deplete what is left in stock.

It is unfortunate the kit business is practically dead. This was how it was possible to resurrect crashed planes after discontinuation.

With laser cutting and computerized manufacturing processes, you would think kits would be available that are easy to build due perfectly cut parts...
Another benefit with kits was that you had the plans From your comment, I guess one could buy a second arf or a set of wings and fuselage to tear down and loft the lines into a set of templates to build spare parts off of.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 AM
falcon_56

Originally Posted by scottrc
Another benefit with kits was that you had the plans From your comment, I guess one could buy a second arf or a set of wings and fuselage to tear down and loft the lines into a set of templates to build spare parts off of.
What do you know, reverse engineering ARFs lol

You cannot say this hobby lacks from creativity
Old 03-20-2014, 05:14 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark.... I think for the price that people paid for those Twin Otters, there should be some type of support later on. (They were expensive!) A bit crazy that they discontinued it so fast. I just did a Horizon Hobby survey and said they should bring the Twin Otter back, but at a more reasonable price. If Horizon Hobby is in this for the long term, they should be thinking that way.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go TOP FLITE Replacement parts almost for ever ... Hanger9 Horizon makes one run on a plane then moves on ... Just their policy.
The only thing that TF did not make spares of on the GS 85" P-47 are the wheels. On my maiden the right wheel fell of into the 10' corn and I bugged TP for a replacement for months and the answer was always the same ... We do not have the wheels as spares and U can not buy them separate. (They are 5" dia and about 1& 7/16" wide a 1&1/2" hangs in the wheel well) well on day I get this package from TF with a note here is the wheel set now stop calling 3 times a week. signed Jennerfer or something like that. NO invoice so I called 1-800-Flowers and had a bunch of flowers sent to Jennifer at the return address ... Hope she got them.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have and have purchased ARFs from Horizon Hobbies sold under the H9 name and they all have problems that the distributer has no control over. As far as stocking a replacement inventory this is something they do until the spares run out. Accept your loss and move on.

Last edited by flycatch; 03-20-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 AM
N410DC

I am guessing that most ARFs nowadays are designed via. CAD and built without plans. Even if the CAD program could print out plans, the manufacturer would have to add annotations/comments, along with some assembly instructions. This would require some effrot, man hours, and money. This fact needs to be balanced against the fact that many people who buy ARFs do not have the skills needed to cut parts from balsa stock and assemble a fuse, wing, etc. from plans. Most ARF owners simply scrap the plane and get a new one. In the end, there is a market for plans, but it seems that the demand might not be enough to justify the effort and expense, from the manufacturer's standpoint.

The only solution I can think of is to buy a second ARF kit, before it's discontinued, if you truly fall in love with the plane. You can then cannibalize the 2nd kit as needed. My father and I did this with my first trainer. I crashed often enough that the parts from the 2nd kit were mostly depleted before I was ready to upgrade to a more advanced plane.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 AM
scottrc

Originally Posted by falcon_56
What do you know, reverse engineering ARFs lol

You cannot say this hobby lacks from creativity
My other hobby is model ship building, so I was thinking of when the British would capture one of our ships, they would "take the lines" off and draft a record of each frame and timber to see how it was built. Hence why after the war of 1812, British 44 gun frigates looked like our 44 gun frigates.

Same principal with an ARF, buy a kit, strip it down, and methodically make templates off the bulkheads and spars. Parts that tend to get decimated in a crash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.