Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Never Buy a Hanger 9 product again!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Never Buy a Hanger 9 product again!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:44 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top Flite even makes almost identical Kits of most of their big ARF's GS 85" P-47 for one.
I would guess that less than 20% of people flying to day want to build orhave the skills. Even the old guys we used to admire for their building skills and REPAIR ability as many have shown up at the field with ARF's. But we all know and respect the few club members that continue to build from scratch, Plans or Even a kit when U can find one. As a note of interest one of our members Quit for health reasond and had in excess of 25 Kits for sale at the field at unbeiavable prices and had few takers. Even finished planes at great prices and had few offers. Just saying.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 AM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrc
Same principal with an ARF, buy a kit, strip it down, and methodically make templates off the bulkheads and spars. Parts that tend to get decimated in a crash.
This is a viable option, but only for modelers who have the knowledge and skill to pull it off.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 AM
falcon_56

I wish there was something in between a kit and an ARF. My main problem is not skill but time. I can and had built from scratch and kits. I am currently building from a Sig Kit from the 60's and boy, people were skilled back then. It is basically a box with plans, balsa blocks and music wire. Now, dont get me wrong. Building a plane from scratch or a vintage kit is a beautiful experience every modeler should not miss out. However these skills are dissapearing. I can see newcomers and kids wanting to get into this hobby having a mountain of a learning curve to climb if they want to do building.

A perfectly laser cut kit could be someting that can be put together in a few weekends, instead of months, for anyone who can put an ARF together. Also it will be a learning tool that would serve as a guide if they want to build a plane from scratch later on.

For the rest of us, working, raising families and having little spare time, it would be a nice alternative to the ARFs.

Last edited by falcon_56; 03-21-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by falcon_56
I wish there was something in between a kit and an ARF. My main problem is not skill but time. I can and had built from scratch and kits. I am currently building from a Sig Kit from the 60's and boy, people were skilled back then. It is basically a box with plans, balsa blocks and music wire. Now, dont get me wrong. Building a plane from scratch or a vintage kit is a beautiful experience every modeler should not miss out. However these skills are dissapearing. I can see newcomers and kids wanting to get into this hobby having a mountain of a learning curve to climb if they want to do building.

A perfectly laser cut kit could be someting that can be put together in a few weekends, instead of months, for anyone who can put an ARF together. Also it will be a learning tool that would serve as a guide if they want to build a plane from scratch later on.

For the rest of us, working, raising families and having little spare time, it would be a nice alternative to the ARFs.
Back in the 80's there were a couple of companies that made ARC'c or Almost Ready to Cover models. I wish some some of these hobby companies would sell some of their offerings sans covering. I like a lot of the ARF offerings, but some of them have the most awful covering schemes.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 AM
falcon_56

Originally Posted by bullseye000
Back in the 80's there were a couple of companies that made ARC'c or Almost Ready to Cover models. I wish some some of these hobby companies would sell some of their offerings sans covering. I like a lot of the ARF offerings, but some of them have the most awful covering schemes.
That is a good point. And companies offering ARFs would not have to design anything new. Just pack it on different stages:
Option 1: All cut pieces unglued
Option 2: Assembled model uncovered
Option 3: ARF as we know it.

It is the same product all along. Maybe they would have to provide the plans for option 1. I say make it a downloadable pdf that can be stitched from 8x11 printouts and call it done.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:14 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Another way of looking at the ARF is to see it like a performance car. Some will buy a new car, strip it down, and then rebuild it to their liking. Many of us see ARFs that way. CARF models are good examples of basically an airframe that a builder can then spend time customizing and adding detail to their liking.

As I said, I really like the looks of the new 30cc Spitfire, it just screams "come detail and customize me". I just hope it stays on the market for another year when I an ready to purchase a new plane.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

There is a reason ARCs and to a degree, kits are not as readily available as they used to be. They don't sell in large enough quantities to justify the suppliers investment.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 AM
husker

My Great Planes Ultimate 160, Extra 330, and Patty Wagstaff are all discontinued so it is not just a Horizon hobby thing.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by husker
My Great Planes Ultimate 160, Extra 330, and Patty Wagstaff are all discontinued so it is not just a Horizon hobby thing.
Speaking of GP, If anyone know where I can find an Ultra Sport ARF, please let me know.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Find a knowledgeable builder in your area and PAY him to fix your plane. Common practice around here and helps provide extra income for senior modelers.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM
corvette65
My Feedback: (3)

The only solution here is to buy another Arf of the same model online at a discount.There are many used built Hangar 9 kits of your model on RC Universe.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Go ahead and don't buy another Hangar 9 product, I don't think that they'll miss you and go bankrupt! I have several of their products and would buy them again. You're whining over one discontinued plane and go crazy.