Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA doesn't care about disable people or veterans!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA doesn't care about disable people or veterans!

Old 03-11-2014, 02:13 PM
1g1yy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA doesn't care about disable people or veterans!

For years now I have been trying to get the AMA to change their policy regarding disabled people including veterans. They give a membership discount for retired (over 65) people -- but not for disable vets or other disabled people. The discount is only about $20 per year, but for those of us who are disabled it would make a big difference. And it is only fair considering they give that discount for those over 65 regardless of income and health.
When speaking to the AMA (a previous VP Jim McNeil, and others) I have been insulted and told that I don't matter because there are very few disabled people who fly RC.
I have been an AMA member (#145497) since 1982, give or take some years because of health problems. I am a veteran. The AMA doesn't care!!
Please help -- I need some support on this issue. Thanks very much,
John
Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a disability as well as being a Vet. On both counts I see that very few care about either and the AMA is more than likely is in that boat. I am a Viet Nam Vet and I have never had a welcome home parade nor much recognition for my service. What I have done is become an advocate for both Veterans and the Disabled. I am passionate in my desire to make sure that Veterans and Disabled people are given all that they have earned. As we speak I am writing letters to these idiot's that are running our Country and think it is okay to cut funding for Veterans. It seems that as soon as a budget crunch hit's it is Veterans that always take the hit. As for the AMA, I would assume that the thought process about not many Disabled people flying planes would be correct. I am lucky that my club accommodates me at our field, no question's asked. I have worked with people with disabilities, up to and including resigning a radio to assist in flight instruction. I personally do not look for a discount for being either a Veteran or Disabled. What I do is support the businesses that do support Veterans. Home Depot is top of the list. They have parking spots that are designed for Veterans only. They offer discounts for Veterans. Appleby's has free dinners for Vets on Veterans Day, as do a lot of other dining places in and around where I live. I figure if you hit the non supporters in the wallet, it may add up some day. As for people with Disabilities, I do what I can to help, when I can. For me, being disabled is something that is hard to handle in that I don't want to accept help as the I am a man attitude takes over. I have been disabled for 7 years now and to this day it is hard for me to accept help even when I need it. Once again, at the flying field, I am blessed to have such good friends that help me out and I do what I can to help them when the opportunity arises. Life is what I make of it, so I move on and hold my head high. I am proud to be an American....Dave
Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

" I have been insulted and told that I don't matter because there are very few disabled people who fly RC."

If that is true, then I don't see why we can't give discounts to disabled - I'm not one, nor a vet, but I'd vote FOR such a suggestion - let's bring it on to the AMA!

Jerry
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several disabled persons as well as disabled vets in my club, I, being one of them. I think there are a lot more disabled people involved in this hobby than we realize.

Frank
Old 03-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Checklst

I think the AMA is scared of fraud............one only needs to look at the local mall handicap parking spaces to relies most are not disabled using the spots reserved for them. (really pisses me off) Some Doctors hand the handicap permission slips like candy. Now as a discount for veterans I say yes all the way!! no matter what your age.

Our club have a few disabled flyers and they wave the charge for club dues.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The AMA is not afraid of fraud. Its just like any other large organization, they just need more money to support their pet projects. Like that obsolete magazine they cram down our throats
Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You piqued my interest when you posted this so being a MAAC member here in Canada I checked with our organization. We also do not have a discount for the disabled or vets so I asked someone who is in the know why not. Discounts are not offered because the concern is that every special interest group could make a case for their discount as well. Instead the concentration is on accommodating the disabled with proper facilities to enable them to participate in the hobby. In Canada we have a Disability Awareness Committee that advises the board on the best way to accommodate those with disabilities. I believe those that serve on that board have disabilities. Does the AMA have a similar committee? It might be worthwhile to get one started if not and if it does it would be worth contacting them with your questions.

Dennis
Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM
paul cov

yes, that is certainly the case in my club, we have three disabled people flying up to 1/4 size aircraft and loving it, like you say a lot more popular than we think amongst the disabled population
Old 03-12-2014, 11:03 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
The AMA is not afraid of fraud. Its just like any other large organization, they just need more money to support their pet projects. Like that obsolete magazine they cram down our throats
So write or call them and tell them you don't want the magazine. I like it !!!! ENJOY Red
Old 03-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Navy_1

I'm active Duty, not a vet yet will retire soon. but i am still hard press to sign up for the AMA. i still cant justafy it. with the excption of a club wanting it. i get nothing for my money. and the insureance is a secondary not a primary and the magazine sucks. so what do i get? and i agree they should give vet's and disabled Vets should get it
Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

really!

So next , Minority discount.. not enough minorities,
Womens discount... not enough ladies.. but that would be nice
The we can have a discount for the sexually orientation,
maybe we can give it to free for illegals( whoops.. undocumented members)

How about you bring that up at YOUR CLUB! and have those closest to you chip in.. And for all we know you are the guy that shows up in the Huge RV and pulls out 10k+ turbine planes and aerobatic planes.

COME -ON .. all this for what 5-10$..

Maybe you could sue your parents( if possible, sorry have to make the point) for it.

AND if your collecting Social Security for your disability, I AM ALREADY HELPING YOU PAY FOR YOUR AMA.

ok, i'll step off the soap box
Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Tampaflyer

see below ...VVVVVV

Last edited by Tampaflyer; 03-12-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: needs quote to make sense
Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Tampaflyer

Originally Posted by Propworn
You piqued my interest when you posted this so being a MAAC member here in Canada I checked with our organization. We also do not have a discount for the disabled or vets so I asked someone who is in the know why not. Discounts are not offered because the concern is that every special interest group could make a case for their discount as well. Instead the concentration is on accommodating the disabled with proper facilities to enable them to participate in the hobby. In Canada we have a Disability Awareness Committee that advises the board on the best way to accommodate those with disabilities. I believe those that serve on that board have disabilities. Does the AMA have a similar committee? It might be worthwhile to get one started if not and if it does it would be worth contacting them with your questions.

Dennis

YEAH...
lets make more rules, and more people... that will want a paycheck... that will help keep those dues down.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
OWIERK

I'm a Vet, retired after 23yrs, 8mo, 8 days. I'm not sure we should receive a discount! If you can't pay the $45 a year for the membership, how are you going to afford the hobby?
I've spent more than my membership dues in the last month in receivers! I happen to like the magazine; if you don't want it don't accept it. It will save the AMA some money. The insurance is isn't important until you have an airplane go through someone’s windshield or God forbid into a crowd of people. If you damage someone else or their property YOU are responsible for the repairs or replacement. That $1M in insurance would look really good then. Now I'm no fool, if a company offers a discount and I qualify then I will take it.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Tampaflyer
YEAH...
lets make more rules, and more people... that will want a paycheck... that will help keep those dues down.
Do you have a clue or are you just here to showcase your ignorance of the subject being discussed???????? Pay check????? Committee members are volunteers something you’re obviously not familiar with. Committees do not make rules they put together recommendations and advise the executive on specific interests of the committee and the members.

Here is a typical report by the chairman of the Disability Committee from 2006 show me where any rules are recommended. Yes he is disabled and fly’s IMAC from his chair. Your ignorance is astounding!!!!!!

Dear MAAC Board:

2006 sure has been one step in a positive direction from where I sit. In August I was asked by the
Flying Dutchmen Club of Kitchener, Ontario to come and put demos on with my big 260. I really
give the Flying Dutchmen Club a pat on the back for taking the time out of good flying weather
and shutting down their flying field one afternoon on the weekend to bring in the
Kitchener/Waterloo Disability group. Two handicap bus/vans showed up with this group all in
wheel chairs and the club had them try out simulators and also gave them a try on flying a couple
trainers on a buddy box. I was told this winter that a couple of these people have been to the
hobby shop and purchased a trainer set-up to learn this great hobby of ours.

There are a couple things I’d like to point out for the clubs. Yes we have to use pilot stations for
safety, but why so high?? I know from my own experience that I have been forced into getting out
of the pilot station to land for the simple reason that sitting down you cannot see your aircraft
when it lands from behind the pilot station. I have stated my position more than once about this
problem and get the feeling sometimes that “SOME” are not listening or simply don't want to
listen, pretty sad from where I sit.

Another thing that some of you out of my area might pass on. When you order a portable pot why
not order the washroom that's equipped for the disabled so “ALL” can use it. In most cases
events are open to the public right?? HINT, HINT!! Like the topic of pilot stations, I have to
mention this a lot. There is one club in my area though that I must say has listened to both the
pilot stations and the portable pots issues it is the Chatham Aeronauts.

And lastly, about club built washrooms at the field. I have been to a few fields that built their own
washrooms with the intention that they are for the disabled also. I don't want to put them on the
spot when their intentions were good. Just going to point this out. You in your area have a
building code and you must go by the code. Get in touch with a building inspector in your area
they can give you the proper specifications. If you do it wrong and the inspector finds out he will
tell you to take it down or do it properly. It’s the law, and if you think about it, it only takes a phone
call to find out the right way and the right way makes a few people happy - not just the inspector.

Well all that's all I have to say. Have a great year of flying and remember. (Think Ability not
Disability).
Old 03-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Tampaflyer

Originally Posted by Propworn
Do you have a clue or are you just here to showcase your ignorance of the subject being discussed???????? Pay check????? Committee members are volunteers something you’re obviously not familiar with. Committees do not make rules they put together recommendations and advise the executive on specific interests of the committee and the members.

Here is a typical report by the chairman of the Disability Committee from 2006 show me where any rules are recommended. Yes he is disabled and fly’s IMAC from his chair. Your ignorance is astounding!!!!!!

Dear MAAC Board:

2006 sure has been one step in a positive direction from where I sit. In August I was asked by the
Flying Dutchmen Club of Kitchener, Ontario to come and put demos on with my big 260. I really
give the Flying Dutchmen Club a pat on the back for taking the time out of good flying weather
and shutting down their flying field one afternoon on the weekend to bring in the
Kitchener/Waterloo Disability group. Two handicap bus/vans showed up with this group all in
wheel chairs and the club had them try out simulators and also gave them a try on flying a couple
trainers on a buddy box. I was told this winter that a couple of these people have been to the
hobby shop and purchased a trainer set-up to learn this great hobby of ours.

There are a couple things I’d like to point out for the clubs. Yes we have to use pilot stations for
safety, but why so high?? I know from my own experience that I have been forced into getting out
of the pilot station to land for the simple reason that sitting down you cannot see your aircraft
when it lands from behind the pilot station. I have stated my position more than once about this
problem and get the feeling sometimes that “SOME” are not listening or simply don't want to
listen, pretty sad from where I sit.

Another thing that some of you out of my area might pass on. When you order a portable pot why
not order the washroom that's equipped for the disabled so “ALL” can use it. In most cases
events are open to the public right?? HINT, HINT!! Like the topic of pilot stations, I have to
mention this a lot. There is one club in my area though that I must say has listened to both the
pilot stations and the portable pots issues it is the Chatham Aeronauts.

And lastly, about club built washrooms at the field. I have been to a few fields that built their own
washrooms with the intention that they are for the disabled also. I don't want to put them on the
spot when their intentions were good. Just going to point this out. You in your area have a
building code and you must go by the code. Get in touch with a building inspector in your area
they can give you the proper specifications. If you do it wrong and the inspector finds out he will
tell you to take it down or do it properly. It’s the law, and if you think about it, it only takes a phone
call to find out the right way and the right way makes a few people happy - not just the inspector.

Well all that's all I have to say. Have a great year of flying and remember. (Think Ability not
Disability).

sorry, CANADIAN...

because we know ALL people are in it for the "right " reasons.

And if you put you disability first.. you are disabled.. you will always put that first as your excuse as to why something didn't happen.

And once again .. TAKE IT UP With YOUR club. stop trying to force your wants on ALL of us.

Last edited by Tampaflyer; 03-12-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Tampaflyer,
That's as rude as it is offensive. You are not helping them pay at all! Disabled vets are entitled to compensation for their injuries and to say that you are helping is a farce! Show some respect for the people that fight for the right for you to be so crass.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Propworn

sorry, CANADIAN...

because we know ALL people are in it for the "right " reasons.

And if you put you disability first.. you are disabled.. you will always put that first as your excuse as to why something didn't happen.
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not disabled I still think your ignorant of any real facts on the subject. I personally find there are more complainers like yourself among the so called able bodied than the disabled crowd. They learn early that people such as yourself who think that anyone with a disability is looking for a free ride isn't going to have much to say that is worthwhile. Good thing you’re kind of thinking is something we don't see much of. Such a narrow vindictive frame of mind could be considered a disability in its own rightl. Sad absolutely so sad.

Dennis
Old 03-12-2014, 12:36 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Another reason WHY it is nearly impossible to have a discussion on this forum without a mob attacking you. I don't post on here much but I read it everyday, 99 times out of 100 the people are cordial and friendly. However, whenever someone feels wronged in some way, they hound and present their point sarcastically. I got into this hobby because of my love for planes and the people, we have got to respect other people's opinions even if it differs from are own. I can understand why the AMA would not want to open themselves to a flurry of organizations wanting a discount, the AMA needs to maintain financial stability to support its members as best as it can. It is after all only $45 a year and the benefits are substantial.

Last edited by allamericanflyer; 03-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:02 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know if the AMA doesn't care about the disabled or veterans-Pretty strong subject line! But guess what you are the AMA and you have a keyboard!!!!! GET AFTER IT!!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Checklst
I think the AMA is scared of fraud............one only needs to look at the local mall handicap parking spaces to relies most are not disabled using the spots reserved for them. (really pisses me off) Some Doctors hand the handicap permission slips like candy. Now as a discount for veterans I say yes all the way!! no matter what your age.

Our club have a few disabled flyers and they wave the charge for club dues.
I probably would fit into your definition. If you see me, you would put me in that category. The problem is, you would be very wrong. There are invisible handicaps. One is Acute Heart Disease. Someone with an ejection fraction of 32 or lower is at high risk of cardiac arrest. Having to walk greater distances aggravates the situation. Another invisible disability is Rheumatoid Arthritis. This is a crippling disorder which inflames and swells your joints. There is no cure for either of these problems.

Yes, I have permanent disability tags and placards. If it bothers you to see me with them because I'm not yet confined to a wheelchair, then that's your problem. I'll be in one soon enough, perhaps then you will be satisfied. Until then, deal with it. And please try to not be a Jerk.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
AMA 4720.

Last edited by Stickbuilder; 03-12-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:30 PM
C.O.

Very well said allamericanflyer. I don't post on here very often either. I am a disabled vet and I see both sides of the argument. It seems everytime a subject is brought up somebody has to go ballistic on their attack of any opinion other than their own. Suppose to be a fun hobby with mostly good people. Just my two cents.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:42 PM
thatairplaneguy
My Feedback: (50)

I'm not a fan of the AMA. And I'm very mad to hear this news!

i recently brought up the issue if them having a manopoly and there is no other choice or option for us sense they sued sportflyers out of buisness.

I dont think hunk they give a crap about much of anything
Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

really!

So next , Minority discount.. not enough minorities,
Womens discount... not enough ladies.. but that would be nice
The we can have a discount for the sexually orientation,
maybe we can give it to free for illegals( whoops.. undocumented members)

How about you bring that up at YOUR CLUB! and have those closest to you chip in.. And for all we know you are the guy that shows up in the Huge RV and pulls out 10k+ turbine planes and aerobatic planes.

COME -ON .. all this for what 5-10$..

Maybe you could sue your parents( if possible, sorry have to make the point) for it.

AND if your collecting Social Security for your disability, I AM ALREADY HELPING YOU PAY FOR YOUR AMA.

ok, i'll step off the soap box
You are really nice!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 PM
CRI CRI
My Feedback: (51)

Last Time I checked everybody pays taxes and for those who don't they eventual get caught. So, your statement about supporting a vets or disabled's Soc sec is as about as ignorant as you could get. Evidently you do not feel that the people who fought for this country and your freedoms( I know that that is a can of worms...what freedoms right?) deserves a discount. Fine and dandy! But don't think for a moment that you are helping any of us with your tax money. I am a disabled vet that served for 21 years and during service broke my back in 2 places and I still pay taxes and do not get soc sec diasability. Last time I checked your signature was not on my retirement check either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.