Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA doesn't care about disable people or veterans!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA doesn't care about disable people or veterans!

Old 03-12-2014, 03:36 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that a vote on the issue of "handicapped veteran" would pass in a New York Second. I would sure support it. Our club has a policy of allowing any wounded veteran fly free while stationed at the hospital near our club. I am a child of the 70s and have a lot of Vietnam Vets to thank for their service. Sorry about the parade, you deserved to be honored for your service.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 PM
cfijeff22
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

second
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I am a vet and dont think the ama should offer a discount. Insurance costs what it costs.. Now should local flying fields and their restrooms, etc be built to comply with the ADA to accommodate disabled people YES!! it is the law....
Old 03-13-2014, 03:12 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I am also a Vietnam vet. And I am also somewhat disabled. And I don't go around whining about it.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:49 AM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/12/prweb11425273.htm

I would vote in favor of a discount.

and to those that served, THANK YOU
Old 03-13-2014, 04:46 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a Vet !
I am over 65 years old !
I am retired !
I take whatever discounts or benefits that I can ! I do not ask, but if they are offered, then naturally I will take advantage of them !

But I just am not going to touch this subject with a 10 foot pole. As I do not want any crass people climbing down my throat !
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Checklst
I think the AMA is scared of fraud............one only needs to look at the local mall handicap parking spaces to relies most are not disabled using the spots reserved for them. (really pisses me off) Some Doctors hand the handicap permission slips like candy. Now as a discount for veterans I say yes all the way!! no matter what your age.

Our club have a few disabled flyers and they wave the charge for club dues.
Ha, I sure agree with that.
Most of the handicap tags hanging from the rear view mirrors around here are on the expensive cars of fifty thousand plus.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 AM
koastrc

How about this subject! All the people that have thin skin and anyone that disagrees, or it appears they disagree have some ugly thing written about them. Heck I have been told my English mechanics are bad. Is it all about how we look at things? War! It don't matter which one. If a person gets hung up in a war for a few seconds it was to long. Life is full of heroes. Not only Vets, so many others in some of the many forms of illness. If there has to be a LAW written and enforced for people to understand those of us that are wounded in some way. We have a problem. Taking care of those with some kind of, what is called disability, should come from the heart. No law, rule, discount, or anything else will replace good will from our fellow man. The AMA is the members, and if the members see a need, let the membership express that need. Does the AMA have a think tank of people that sit around and come up what the members want? I think not.
When a statement like. The AMA doesn't care about disable people or veterans! I think maybe the AMA, or we the membership are doing a poor job of explaining what the AMA is suppose to do. Every morning for the last 50 years or so I thank the almighty for getting me home. Then I say a prayer for those we left behind that never seen another morning. Yes I hurt, yes it is hard, and yes I feel blessed. At times it is hard to see the bright side of things. Please don't stop looking, there are many wonderful people out there wanting to help. It is hard to look when you are hurting, but it is there. You know, some of those good people are members of the AMA. I have met them.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MX240
Most of the handicap tags hanging from the rear view mirrors around here are on the expensive cars of fifty thousand plus.
And I know a fair amount of people with disabilities that have a difficult time owning and maintaining dependable transportation. The handicapped plate/tag allows one closer access when parking for anyone who has problems with mobility. Are there abuses? Of course one of the worst is the able bodied spouse using it because they just had to run inside for a minute. What relevance does a parking permit have to the discussion of membership discount? Or is it just stereotyping everyone with a handicap or disability? Have any of you complainers ever attended an event and found it impossible to use the facilities with any dignity. I have seen both guests/spectators and fellow pilots put in that position. Get off your chair and crawl or have someone help you into the washroom or get in your car and try and find one. Sure kicks the sh#t out of the fun quotient. I have found most with disabilities ask for nothing more than a chance for an equal opportunity to enjoy life and/or a specific leisure activity. If it takes a little effort on our part to make it easier for that to happen I don’t see the issue. As far as a membership discount I think most would rather have their personal needs at the field addressed as a priority.

Dennis
Old 03-13-2014, 07:51 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a discount would be fine, but it would be hard for the AMA to verify. Imagine having to send in your DD-214 or other documents to prove your disability and discharge status. It would just be a mess and would be a real target for fraud. The AMA just doesn't have the resouces in my opinion for such a program.

As far as the magazine goes, I remember a long time ago you had the option to either take the magazine or not and recieve a discount on your membership. That seems to have gone away at some point. Either that or I'm not remembering it correctly, that could be too. I think that would be an option to bring back, especially with the digital edition they have out as well. I still like something to read in my hands, but I'm old school and others are not. To each his own I guess, but it would be nice to have the option.

They probably don't do it anymore because the ones that don't want the magazine, subsidize the ones that do, to a point, making it more affordable for all. That sounds kind of like the bill of goods we were sold on Obama Care!! Lol!! I'm not touching that one!!

Brian

Last edited by bchapman; 03-13-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I strongly believe the AMA Leadership and the majority of our members care about the disabled and those who have served their country. I am a retired military vet, I gladly pay the inexpensive yearly dues, and I gladly support the AMA education programs and museum. Discounts are there for the taking. Being in this hobby and being concerned for $5 - $10 discount per year on a membership versus the cost we gladly pay for rc equipment costs, for local club dues, for special interest group costs, for gas to get to the field or contest costs, seems a bit underwhelmed to me. Hope I do not get bashed for keeping it real.

Forgot to say, my AMA Number is 3R. I fly Sport, a little IMAC, Pylon, Scale, and now - I am a Jet Rookie. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 03-14-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:54 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not really sure that caring about someone or a group of people necessarily equates to handing out $$.

I wouldn't mind if the AMA did offer vets a discount, but by the logic here I could argue they don't care about middle aged caucasian people either since I don't get a discount.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 AM
sirronald

Be glad your breathing and able to enjoy. If 10 dollars or so makes a difference crawl in a corner and die!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 AM
mghowell53

Dear Dave; I'm very sorry that you feel like that. But I am a member of the Canandaigua SkyCHIEFS #674 here in Western New York State and we hold our meetings at the V/A Hospital in Canandaigua and we recognize our vets by entering them into our "Honor Squadron" which is a honorary membership in the SkyCHIEFS. We have them come down and "fly" in the auditorium on the nites that we have our meetings and use the r/c flight sim that was donated by NitroPlanes. We also give them a 75th Ann. lapel pin as a memento for being a part of our r/c club. We also host a V/A Airshow and Static Display every summer for them and their families.We give the Rec. Dept a yearly subscription to Model Aviation also. Take Care and God Bless Mike Howell,PR,SkyCHIEFS

Last edited by mghowell53; 03-13-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MX240
What does the price of what you drive have to do with a handicap? I don't want a discounted membership, but don't need attitude because of what I choose to drive either.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
AMA 4720
Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by sirronald
Be glad your breathing and able to enjoy. If 10 dollars or so makes a difference crawl in a corner and die!
A point proven by this gentleman right here...

Thank you
Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think it's fair that retired folks get a discount either! If anything, I should get a discount, not because I'm a veteran, but because I actively promote the hobby and the AMA.

AMA dues should be based upon what positive things members actually bring to the organization. People who sit around and complain about membership costs, their military service or disability are not bringing many new people into the hobby or the AMA.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by w0mbat
People who sit around and complain about membership costs, their military service or disability are not bringing many new people into the hobby or the AMA.
That is a fallacy! If that is true what is your evidence to support such a wild claim?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:22 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A 20+ year vet, disabled on active duty. Also an AMA member that likes the magazine. I have no problem with the "no discount" for disabled vets. What I have a problem with is the statement that started this thread. That the AMA doesn't care about disable people or veterans!

Didn't the AMA just give $75,000 to the wounded worrier project? Yes I know that it was money raised by fly-ins, but they would have kept it for the AMA if they didn't care. I really don't think you are looking at the big picture if your only reason for starting this thread with that line is that you do not get a discount on your yearly fees. But you have the right to try and change that. There is no harm in asking for discounts for a group/club/sector/whatever. Just be ready for the answer to be no.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Checklst

Originally Posted by Stickbuilder
I probably would fit into your definition. If you see me, you would put me in that category. The problem is, you would be very wrong. There are invisible handicaps. One is Acute Heart Disease. Someone with an ejection fraction of 32 or lower is at high risk of cardiac arrest. Having to walk greater distances aggravates the situation. Another invisible disability is Rheumatoid Arthritis. This is a crippling disorder which inflames and swells your joints. There is no cure for either of these problems.

Yes, I have permanent disability tags and placards. If it bothers you to see me with them because I'm not yet confined to a wheelchair, then that's your problem. I'll be in one soon enough, perhaps then you will be satisfied. Until then, deal with it. And please try to not be a Jerk.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
AMA 4720.
Would not try to be a jerk to you stickbuilder My response was just a comment due to my boredom at the mall one day. My strong opinion is not just on my observation of that day but is based on my daughters observation(as a Special education teacher) and my son who is a US Navy Doctor doing his residency as we speak. This discussion has been topic of conversation at my house on a few occasions.

Just to clarify so I'm not perceived as a jerk........I sat on that bench for an hour(observing) with crutches in hand, and my daughters certified therapy dog(golden retriever) wearing his service jacket next to me. 12 people used the HDCP spots..... 5 were older and had no spring to their step and one was a given she had an oxygen tank.................but half of the people springing out of their cars seeing me, change direction and went into the mall at a door farther away from me(just seemed like a little avoidance to me) I would not have said anything just because of what you brought up Hidden disability.............with that said almost 50% of HDCP parked that day exited the mall with their "To Go food bags from TGIF restaurant taking the long way around me.

I personally think they were using a loved one HDCP placard to park close to the restaurant......JMO. Just as a side note 5 of the 6 people I guessed as using the placards properly ask to pet what they thought was a service dog.(no avoidance)

Now back to the original question a discount!!!!!!!! personally I think the AMA could add a line with a check box on the renew form, asking for a donation to lower the cost to Veterans, handicap people and extra donation for handicap Veterans........depending on the amount collected the AMA could give a discount based on collections..............if enough is given..........it could be free,..........it would be vary nice if AMA donator could direct his donation towards the group he wants. Just a thought.

Bill sorry if my comments hit you the wrong way ....not my intention flying brother.

Last edited by Checklst; 03-13-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidAgar
I have a disability as well as being a Vet. On both counts I see that very few care about either and the AMA is more than likely is in that boat. I am a Viet Nam Vet and I have never had a welcome home parade nor much recognition for my service. What I have done is become an advocate for both Veterans and the Disabled. I am passionate in my desire to make sure that Veterans and Disabled people are given all that they have earned. As we speak I am writing letters to these idiot's that are running our Country and think it is okay to cut funding for Veterans. It seems that as soon as a budget crunch hit's it is Veterans that always take the hit.
I'm a Vietnam Era vet. Retired after 20 years with a minor disability. I appreciate the little perks of gratitude like a 10% discount at Lowe's, and a free meal for me and my wife on Veterans Day at Olive Garden. When I first enlisted in 1975 soldiers were getting spit on and Hanoi Jane was freely helping out with torturing our POWs.

My career is nothing compared to the vets before my time and those today. I salute those guys. They are putting it all on the line. I went to a lot of funerals for both peacetime training and war casualties.

I did give up a lot of financial security, and the retirement benefits were always meant to compensate a career of low pay, a spouse who had to change jobs every 2 years, and living in unreal crap holes that gouged out every penny because I was an American. If citizens want a defense they should stand up to the pay cuts we're facing and tell the lying scumbags in Washington a loud "NO". Being retired, stripping my health care will cost big time. Stripping the commissaries is like a big cut in our retirement checks. Try cutting the retirements of UAW retirees by some 30% and see what happens.

A $10 discount for AMA membership? Don't make me laugh. These cuts going to the Senate right now means no bucks for the AMA, the flying club, or glow fuel. Forget about that.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:33 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay Guys and Gals, we need to not fire the personal assaults at each other and get back to talking about the subject matter. Thanks in advance, Dave
Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 AM
W7APD Alan

With all due respect to Veterans (I'm not one, thanks to a lucky draw in the Vietnam-era draft lottery,) why is it the responsibility of every business entity to show their appreciation by discounting everything under the sun?

The government got us all into whatever conflicts our vets served in. When our servicemen/women come back broken, it should be the government's continuing responsibility to make them whole. If that costs money, the government should spend it and levy taxes on everyone ​to cover the expense. If we all appreciate the sacrifices our veterans have made, we'll be happy to pay those taxes.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

As for Vets,, In my mind it's not about money, think of it as just saying Thank You for serving,, Obviously not all vets are in the poor house and need the money savings,, but it's still nice to show appreciation for their service.

As for disabled folks,, if you can verify a financial need then I wouldn't have a problem with it.. Way to much fraud in these areas today to leave it up to the applicant to just check a box. And again, just because you're disabled doesn't mean you're broke. The difficulty in confirming these needs is probably why the AMA doesn't off the program
Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1g1yy2
For years now I have been trying to get the AMA to change their policy regarding disabled people including veterans. They give a membership discount for retired (over 65) people -- but not for disable vets or other disabled people. The discount is only about $20 per year, but for those of us who are disabled it would make a big difference. And it is only fair considering they give that discount for those over 65 regardless of income and health.
When speaking to the AMA (a previous VP Jim McNeil, and others) I have been insulted and told that I don't matter because there are very few disabled people who fly RC.
I have been an AMA member (#145497) since 1982, give or take some years because of health problems. I am a veteran. The AMA doesn't care!!
Please help -- I need some support on this issue. Thanks very much,
John
John,
I don't know if your idea is right or wrong and I'm not going to pass judgement on the benefits of your proposal. Perhaps you are not going about it the right way. Our local club has raised over $168,000 for Kosair Childrens Hospital and Kosair Charities. As a direct result of these "Wings for Kids Air Shows" our club has shown member growth of more than 50% in the last 6 years to more than 180 members. If we would like the AMA to promote more charitable fly-ins throughout the U.S. then the best way to show the benefit would be to have a charitable event locally and show the AMA the benefit. We have done that.

If you want to have the AMA provide more benefits for special interests, and I think yours is a good one, then perhaps building a program/event at your local level and show the AMA the benefit it provides for our hobby and for others in need. Good Luck with your efforts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.